Best sounding exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
    My M3 sounds AMAZING above 3500rpm. The trade of is it sounds like trash below it. You can't have the best of both worlds but since WOT is where the exhaust note really matters to me, I am super happy with it. I have Megan Racing headers and a GruppeM exhaust. I did notice after adding a K&N the idle sounds a bit louder but mostly same tone. My car scares people at gas stations when I start it. If anyone calls a GruppeM a muffler, they're lying, it's just a couple resonators.

​​​I've learned how to drive it respectfully and not be a cop magnet though. I'll upload a video of a cold start later
    How do you drive it respectfully? Trying "not to be a cop magnet" sounds like a bad tradeoff for having a loud exhaust on an M3.

Comment

Anyone here do Euro headers and a Borla Sec 2 (stock mufflers)? Thats what I’ve been thinking about. I’m not worried as much about price as the end product — if I get what I want it’s worth the money. I don’t think I’m interested in intake noise though, and I am a V8 guy by nature so deeper is better. Just not looking for loud or raspy. TIA

maw

Comment

Man, am i the only idiot who likes the stock exhaust note? Its so damn unique you simply wont hear anything like it anywhere.
        Literally sounds like a chainsaw, and coming from your back it feels like youre being chased haha. Its pretty damn metal

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post
          Man, am i the only idiot who likes the stock exhaust note? Its so damn unique you simply wont hear anything like it anywhere.
          Literally sounds like a chainsaw, and coming from your back it feels like youre being chased haha. Its pretty damn metal
          I like it a lot, and I got the eisenmann sport because it is just more of that!

Comment

Nice I should look into an eisenmann sport then... and supplement the stock note with a CSL box and headers prolly sometime in the future

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. View Post
              Eisenmann sport sounds like OE enhanced plus a little deeper
              This.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico View Post
                I’ve had a B&B with headers for years and never really got old. I like the sound a lot. You need headers for the exhaust note to actually sound good. Without them, car will sound like a Honda

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M48osMJIa9A
                Yeah that does sound pretty great.

Seems like maybe do headers forest from what every one is saying.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                  Anyone here do Euro headers and a Borla Sec 2 (stock mufflers)? Thats what I’ve been thinking about. I’m not worried as much about price as the end product — if I get what I want it’s worth the money. I don’t think I’m interested in intake noise though, and I am a V8 guy by nature so deeper is better. Just not looking for loud or raspy. TIA

maw
                  For a deeper note, look into getting another resonator in the section 1 and the Borla section 3 muffler -

It sounds pretty good without being obnoxious. And keep the stock headers unless you are getting cats in the section 1. No one wants their car to smell like a boat.

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post
                    Haha, metal is a good way of putting it. I think it’s a cool sound from the drivers seat but pretty sure it sounds like crap from behind (don’t know for sure, never followed my car). That metallic zing added to the cacophony of a (much louder) carbon airbox is something else though.

I drove my M3 for the first time in a while over this weekend and the sound of the airbox + headers and stock muffler is so good. My S62 in my other car doesn’t compare at all, even when it had a muffler delete which the E39 guys love.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                      Haha, metal is a good way of putting it. I think it’s a cool sound from the drivers seat but pretty sure it sounds like crap from behind (don’t know for sure, never followed my car). That metallic zing added to the cacophony of a (much louder) carbon airbox is something else though.

I drove my M3 for the first time in a while over this weekend and the sound of the airbox + headers and stock muffler is so good. My S62 in my other car doesn’t compare at all, even when it had a muffler delete which the E39 guys love.
                      S62 exhaust note sounds pretty great to me.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i
                      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

For a deeper note, look into getting another resonator in the section 1 and the Borla section 3 muffler -

It sounds pretty good without being obnoxious. And keep the stock headers unless you are getting cats in the section 1. No one wants their car to smell like a boat.
                        Yeah... that deeper for sure... what I cannot figure out (and will probably just have to do it to know) is whether the deeper tone is from the mufflers or midsection. I’m thinking midsection, but I may be wrong. I’ll likely do the midsection first and go from there. If I want more volume I’ll do headers (although I’m inclined against this), and if tonality is still an issue I’ll do Borla back section as well. But I’m definitely going to move in stages, which this being not my first rodeo tells me to do. I’m not really interested in catless either. All I’m after is tone, and *maybe* volume.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                          S62 exhaust note sounds pretty great to me.

https://youtu.be/fHgIntXc74o
                          Same here, don't get me wrong, the S62 sounds badass with pretty much any muffler (including none). Point was my S54 carbon airbox and stock muffler sounds even better, at least from the drivers' seat. Outside the car may or may not be a different story.

Comment

I feel like any one of us would be able to identify (with certainty) the sound of an S54 exhaust from all other cars on the road. I mean how cool is that 😎

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

How do you drive it respectfully? Trying "not to be a cop magnet" sounds like a bad tradeoff for having a loud exhaust on an M3.
                              Don't speed, floor it in traffic, or drive like a dick. It's quite easy but 90% of people on the road don't understand the last one. I just don't drive around flaunting my exhaust. There is no trade off. It's how everyone should drive and I think you should reconsider your driving habits if you think it's a tradeoff.

Here's a lovely cold start

This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I have Supersprint Sport section 3 and think it sounds amazing. Only exhaust that I thought sounded better was the Dixis. Tips on the SS sport look the best imo with the slant cut.

Comment

Working...
                                X