Electric Fan Swap Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HassanEido View Post
    Correct. I find it's much better to have it go at full tilt at 88 90 c. Especially if you actually drive your car hard enough 👍
    Thanks for the clarification. Can you do this using INPA?
    -Brandon
    2005 M3 BMW Individual Sterling Gray / Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by Smitsky089 View Post

Thanks for the clarification. Can you do this using INPA?
      AFAIK no, it has to be done by reprogramming the dme for it
      385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
      -CSL airbox ( custom)
      -280 272 Cat cams
      -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
      -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
      -TMS pullies
      -Electric Fan
      -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

Martyn posted that his updated tool will make the modification for the Z4M Electric Fan settings for the E46 M3 Aux Fan - https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...on-tool-update. Has anyone removed the aux fan and wired it to an electric fan? I believe there was a thread on M3F that showed how to wire the fan. Which fan is best to use for this application?

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
          Martyn posted that his updated tool will make the modification for the Z4M Electric Fan settings for the E46 M3 Aux Fan - https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...on-tool-update. Has anyone removed the aux fan and wired it to an electric fan? I believe there was a thread on M3F that showed how to wire the fan. Which fan is best to use for this application?
          Cool, I will probably look into that!

I am currently working on what you are saying (once all parts arrive) - I've removed both stock fans, will be wiring SPAL 2082 into stock aux fan controller. I was planning on following this DIY (which I'm sure is similar to what used to be on M3F). https://thebuildjournal.com/diy/n15-...fan-mount-diy/
          -Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
            Thanks for the heads up on Martyn's Tool update. The Spal 2049 or 2082 fans are the most popular. I'm running the 2082.
            TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
            Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
            Evolve Eventuri
            - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

What is the rationale behind removing the aux fan vs. running two electric fans?

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
                I originally ran the Mishimito fan inside the OE fan shroud, worked great.
                Can I ask why you switched?

Comment

Originally posted by C///M View Post
                  Can I ask why you switched?
                  The mishimoto fan mounted inside the OE fan shroud worked great up to 105 degrees but we get days out here in Las Vegas of 110-120 and needed more cooling. I went with the Spal 2082 fan.
                  Evolve Eventuri

Comment

I originally ran the Mishimito fan inside the OE fan shroud, worked great.
                    Did you use the N15 brackets for the spal fan?

Comment

Originally posted by MathewM3 View Post
                      Did you use the N15 brackets for the spal fan?
                      Yes...
                      Evolve Eventuri

Comment

Yes...
                        Ok, do I assume correctly that the Spal will not fit in the OEM fan shroud like the Mishimoto?

Comment

Originally posted by MathewM3 View Post
                          Ok, do I assume correctly that the Spal will not fit in the OEM fan shroud like the Mishimoto?
                          There is a 16" slim line Spal fan that will but the 2049 and 2082 will not as they are to thick.

Here is a Spal fan mounted inside the OE shroud on Brians M3. I think it's a Spal 20101516 that is rated at 1469 CFM's.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9608.JPG Views:	0 Size:	132.2 KB ID:	14668
                          Evolve Eventuri

Comment

I got my brackets/fan/controller mocked up while I'm away from the rest of the car for the next few days. Does this look correct to those who have used the N15 brackets?
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0482.jpg
Views:	3948
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	14766

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume most people put the fan towards the passenger side of the radiator, as to not interfere with the water pump. I think this means that the aux fan controller bracket would need to go towards the driver's side of the radiator. If this is the case, I'm worried that in the way that I currently have it oriented, the wire aux fan plug would not reach the other side of the aux fan wiring loom.

Also, the DIY I was following (https://thebuildjournal.com/diy/n15-...fan-mount-diy/) seems to have a slightly different aux fan controller, with different wire colors. The DIY I followed did black->brown, red->blue. Since my controller has brown and grey wires, I did black->brown, red->grey. Does anyone have any info on if this was correct? Or possibly why there may be a difference in appearance/colors between cars?
                            -Brandon

Comment

Brown wires in a BMW are always ground, so you should be all set.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitsky089 View Post
                                I got my brackets/fan/controller mocked up while I'm away from the rest of the car for the next few days. Does this look correct to those who have used the N15 brackets?
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0482.jpg
Views:	3948
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	14766

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume most people put the fan towards the passenger side of the radiator, as to not interfere with the water pump. I think this means that the aux fan controller bracket would need to go towards the driver's side of the radiator. If this is the case, I'm worried that in the way that I currently have it oriented, the wire aux fan plug would not reach the other side of the aux fan wiring loom.

Also, the DIY I was following (https://thebuildjournal.com/diy/n15-...fan-mount-diy/) seems to have a slightly different aux fan controller, with different wire colors. The DIY I followed did black->brown, red->blue. Since my controller has brown and grey wires, I did black->brown, red->grey. Does anyone have any info on if this was correct? Or possibly why there may be a difference in appearance/colors between cars?
                                That looks correct. There were different wiring colors between model years. Thanks for your purchase!
                                - Lawrence
                                N15 Design

Comment

Working...
                                X