What stud conversion is every one running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S14 View Post

Are Studs wear items, but stock wheel bolts are not? For the purpose of discussion... what is the difference?

I've run a few different sets of studs on various cars and have heard the "replace studs periodically" mantra on the forums, so this time I went with motorsport hardware studs/nuts purchased through FCP Euro to capitalize on their warranty. The studs feel like high quality, but the nuts felt better than previous hardware I've used. I'm looking forward to seeing how these hold up over extended use.
    Lug bolts if used in track applications are also a wear item. But nobody really uses them at the track.

Quality studs that are not used on hot tire swaps and not over torqued with an impact gun will likely last as long as factory lug bolts.

When installing tires I use 20v impact but on the lowest setting. Then follow up with a torque wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

When installing tires I use 20v impact but on the lowest setting. Then follow up with a torque wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      +1 to this. On the lowest setting at full throttle my Milwaukee gun tightens to about 70 ft-lbs. I bet they designed it such that the lowest setting on the gun was meant for tightening lug nuts, before final torquing. I still don't really go full throttle with the gun just because it still seems to hammer quite a bit, I'm off the trigger when the nut bottoms out.

Comment

Check out Core4 Motorsports. Press in wheel studs with some machining when your wheel bearings need there next service. MSI Nascar specs.

Comment

Is FCP Euro not selling APEX studs anymore?

Comment

They have Motorsport Hardware studs which are just as good or better
            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I bought turner studs twice and each time they were different. First set was ARP and next set - I'm not sure of the brand. But they were a different shape (slightly more rounded tip)

Comment

Motorsports Hardware, 75mm Black Race Studs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dptmachine View Post
                  Check out Core4 Motorsports. Press in wheel studs with some machining when your wheel bearings need there next service. MSI Nascar specs.
                  This is the ultimate solution but requires replacing wheel hubs. If you are going with the thread in style just make sure to buy one of the good quality brands already mentioned. If you are going to track your car I cant express enough how these are wear items and need to be replaced ( I do mine once a year). Just look at Core4's website for examples of failed wheel studs.

Exactly two years ago a fellow cca member ended his season by totaling his car when he sheared all his wheel studs going into turn one. His wheel and tire ended up under the car and it was uncotrolable. I have replaced my wheel studs yearly since then. This past weekend, my last event of the season, I had a similar experience

Comment

MSI studs, well recommended from other platforms (Porsche). Tracked for several weekends now, very happy.
                    ‘04 M3

Comment

are 75MM studs too long for OEM CSL wheels? --- no spacers
                      Last edited by Kdubski; 01-09-2023, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdubski View Post
                        are 75MM studs too long for OEM CSL wheels? --- no spacers
                        IMO, yes. They will stick out past the face of the front wheel by quite a bit. FCP does have 44mm studs that they say work with OE wheels and no spacers.

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

Are Studs wear items, but stock wheel bolts are not? For the purpose of discussion... what is the difference?

I've run a few different sets of studs on various cars and have heard the "replace studs periodically" mantra on the forums, so this time I went with motorsport hardware studs/nuts purchased through FCP Euro to capitalize on their warranty. The studs feel like high quality, but the nuts felt better than previous hardware I've used. I'm looking forward to seeing how these hold up over extended use.
                          As someone who had 3 studs sheer on ACH, I assure you they are a wear item. My Apex studs were installed for 4yrs / 4k miles / 5 track days. I always hand-torqued wheels to spec (85ft/lb), never used power tools to put them on. I will be replacing them annually from now until I get around to doing the MSI conversion.

Comment

+1 for Core4, especially when paired with their new 2 piece lug nuts.

Comment

+Motorsport Hardware.

I bought the 78mm bullet nose kit. I don’t plan on running a spacer larger than 15mm

Bought direct from manufacture before I knew about the FCP warranty. Very happy with the kit.
                              '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Why are studs easier to snap than bolts if they are the same diameter? is it related to the material used or the fact that the stud + lug nut mechanism is more prone to play?

i personally use 2 wheel hangers to mount my wheels and replace all my wheel bolts with Rein bolts once I acquire a used car and just never torque them to over 90 ft lbs.
                                2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                                2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                                2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X