Old M3 or old 911??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old M3 or old 911??

First, I love my E46 M3. First real sports car I've owned as I made sure I was financially stable to have a dedicated weekend car. Definitely some sentimental value tied to it.

I've recently been looking at 911 993's and 964's but I was curious if anyone has experience to share about the comparison. Of course the people on 911 forums talk about how much better the 911 is but wanted the other side of the story.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Cbouts View Post
    First, I love my E46 M3. First real sports car I've owned as I made sure I was financially stable to have a dedicated weekend car. Definitely some sentimental value tied to it.

I've recently been looking at 911 993's and 964's but I was curious if anyone has experience to share about the comparison. Of course the people on 911 forums talk about how much better the 911 is but wanted the other side of the story.

Thoughts?
    The M3 has a better engine, accelerates faster, turns faster, stops faster, has more front seat space, has a far more functional back seats, has a larger trunk, has significantly cheaper parts, is significantly safer, has better headlights, and is more comfortable/tech filled. I don't really care about tech, but basic things like bluetooth and automatic climate control (not to mention AC that actually works) just make a car easier to live with.

The air cooleds are easier to work on and a more involving driving experience. Steering feel, in particular, is better. They are also just smaller and lighter cars, and smaller/lighter always drives better, regardless of how much speed results from it.

If you're using it as a car (transport) and/or have kids and/or track it, I'd say the M3 is the better choice. If you're using it for weekends and/or cars and coffee and/or car shows and/or quick back road driving, the 911 is probably the better choice.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Aircooled cars are very different. Perhaps Mr. Wolfe would be a good person to ask as he has a 964.

More direct competitors to the E46 M3 would be the 996/997 generations. I personally feel the 997 is a better car than the E46 M3 in most ways; however, owning both is the best answer as they shine in different ways and each bring different things to the table.

Comment

this is definitely a weekend car. space/doors are not a priority. Also, I have an 02' so the "tech" blows, cant even add an aux jack!

Such first world problems, but i'm torn between the two.

Comment

old 911 sounds better, M3 drives better. Both motors are expensive to get above 400hp.

M3 has more power, old 911 is lighter. Don't really have a recommendation, its more personal preference.

I will probably add a 993 to my Cars, but I don't want to sell my M3 for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbouts View Post
            this is definitely a weekend car. space/doors are not a priority. Also, I have an 02' so the "tech" blows, cant even add an aux jack!

Such first world problems, but i'm torn between the two.
            You could add aux in... or better yet a BlueBus (which would give your Bluetooth phone and Bluetooth music streaming with steering wheel controls and song meta data).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

The one thing ive always disliked about 911s is the engine bay. Just so small and inaccessible compared to the glorious S54.

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post
                The one thing ive always disliked about 911s is the engine bay. Just so small and inaccessible compared to the glorious S54.
                That’s a much bigger issue with water cooled 911s than air cooled 911s... especially if you delete the AC on the air cooled, which is no big loss (doesn’t work very well).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

That’s a much bigger issue with water cooled 911s than air cooled 911s... especially if you delete the AC on the air cooled, which is no big loss (doesn’t work very well).
                  Good point, but still too small imo. Just doesnt inspire the same level of connection you get with S54. More accessibility usually means you can work on the engine yourself. That is a very important criteria for me

Comment

Good point, but still too small imo. Just doesnt inspire the same level of connection you get with S54. More accessibility usually means you can work on the engine yourself. That is a very important criteria for me
                    You can work on them just fine, you just do most jobs from underneath the car.

Comment

really appreciate the feedback. still torn.... Guess I need to get some seat time somehow.

love the power of the S54 but the sound of that flat 6 is intoxicating. i know looks are subjective but i love the styling of the 911 over the M.

Comment

Practicality aside, 911 over M3 for a weekend fun car any day. I would actually go further back than a 964 or 993. See if you can drive a G50 car (‘87-89 I believe?).
                        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

An air cooled 911 is the only thing, within the realm of possibility, that I would give up the M3 for.

Jesse
                          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

You can work on them just fine, you just do most jobs from underneath the car.
                            working from underneath the car sounds miserable

Comment

working from underneath the car sounds miserable
                              Many, MANY (most) cars suck to work on compared to the e46 M3. Air cooled 911s are not among them-- they're so simple that lack of access doesn't really matter that much.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                              X