Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Great points here....

If you like to drive and you like analog, a well set up 964 is fantastic. I had a 991.1 GT3 and preferred driving both the 964 and 997 versus the 991.

Click image for larger version  Name:	40697242155_e0b0e172b0_b.jpg Views:	4 Size:	268.0 KB ID:	42103
    That thing looks like it would drive terribly on track, but would be fun at low speeds. The 991 GT3 needs to be driven fast to be fun so if you're not a serious track rat then I'd go with a <997 model.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

I'm curious about this – not because I think you're wrong, but because I hear a lot of people talking the G50 cars up over the 915 cars. What's your reasoning behind this? Let me live my aircooled dreams through you
      Personal preference, as the G50 is a much stronger/better gearbox than the 915. Regarding 915/G50:
      1) I prefer, and just used to a cable driven clutch.
      2) No room to put my foot (dead pedal) between the clutch pedal and inner fender. I think this just applies to Targa's I just cannot remember if the coupe is the same. But definitely no room in the Targa. In 915 and 930 boxes, I have plenty of room to rest my foot on the floorboard to the left of the clutch, I could not even squeeze my foot in there in my brother's G50. Also allows me to just stretch my left leg on long drives, which I could do in his G50 Targa.
      3) Pain in the ass to access the top starter bolt, as the trans is much bulkier.
      4) To me, not worth the premium that people ask.

G50/930 Box: IIRC the G50 and 930 are about equal in strength, could be wrong, but the 930 is rated for way more HP then I'll ever get up to with CIS.
      1) I just prefer the 4sp of the 930 for a turbo, I love the long gears, and I can still spin the rear wheels when I come up in boost in 1st/2nd and sometimes 3rd gear if I leave my foot in it.

I'm just old school.....
      Last edited by Flat-Six; 07-11-2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jickel180 View Post

That thing looks like it would drive terribly on track, but would be fun at low speeds. The 991 GT3 needs to be driven fast to be fun so if you're not a serious track rat then I'd go with a <997 model.
        Yeah I was wondering about that, looks like no susp travel, did you raise the spindles? But it's a cool looking car.

Comment

The M3 is mine and the Porsches are my dad's, although lately I've played mechanic on the 84' cab and found it refreshing easy to work on. Totally different animal then the M3 of course, like flat-six was saying the older 911s demand you pay more attention to what you are doing, I still make mistakes now and again on that 915 trans.
          The 996 GT3 is a blast to drive and my dad luckily bought it before they started to climb, he's had the 84' since 1989. Its given him surprisingly few problems, however we recently had to replace the DME with a refurb unit ($$$) due to a surging idle that is usually a vacuum leak, but not this time. I am so surprised how well this little 911 has aged, fun little car. The 996 is more of head to head comparison of course but they cost significantly more to find a good example if a GT3 is what your after.Click image for larger version  Name:	20200624_202545.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.1 KB ID:	42282
          Last edited by Cubieman; 07-11-2020, 05:30 PM.
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Jickel180 View Post

Its a great back roads car, which is what I use it for.

Thats why I sold the 991...because unless you're at the track or driving way too fast on public roads, its boring. I have a 997.1 GT3 RS as well ...my all time favorite car.

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post

Yeah I was wondering about that, looks like no susp travel, did you raise the spindles? But it's a cool looking car.
              No, it has H&R Super Deep Coilovers. I have it set fairly stiff but it has just enough travel for me. This car feels really planted through corners.

My Porsche tech tracks a lot and even though my cars are pretty low, like a race car, he sets them up pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                The M3 is mine and the Porsches are my dad's, although lately I've played mechanic on the 84' cab and found it refreshing easy to work on. Totally different animal then the M3 of course, like flat-six was saying the older 911s demand you pay more attention to what you are doing, I still make mistakes now and again on that 915 trans.
                The 996 GT3 is a blast to drive and my dad luckily bought it before they started to climb, he's had the 84' since 1989. Its given him surprisingly few problems, however we recently had to replace the DME with a refurb unit ($$$) due to a surging idle that is usually a vacuum leak, but not this time. I am so surprised how well this little 911 has aged, fun little car. The 996 is more of head to head comparison of course but they cost significantly more to find a good example if a GT3 is what your after.Click image for larger version Name:	20200624_202545.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.1 KB ID:	42282
                Wow that is an impressive garage and collection you have there 👍!

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                  The 996 GT3 is a blast to drive and my dad luckily bought it before they started to climb, he's had the 84' since 1989. Its given him surprisingly few problems, however we recently had to replace the DME with a refurb unit ($$$) due to a surging idle that is usually a vacuum leak, but not this time. I am so surprised how well this little 911 has aged, fun little car. The 996 is more of head to head comparison of course but they cost significantly more to find a good example if a GT3 is what your after.Click image for larger version Name:	20200624_202545.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.1 KB ID:	42282
                  Very nice.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

If you like the styling, look at the s54 z3m coupes for IMO the best of both worlds.

Comment

Working...
                    X