Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: Cobra Nogaro seats (uniquely street friendly fixed back bucket seat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it still possible to have cobras made in a custom centre fabric if I supply fabric? Where/how would I do that?

HMS doesn't respond to emails ;p

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
    2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
      Is it still possible to have cobras made in a custom centre fabric if I supply fabric? Where/how would I do that?

They do respond eventually but are probably extra slow due to covid right now. They took a week or two to get back to my initial email last fall but are great to work with. I’m local so went in to the store to discuss details.

Been waiting for my seats for a long time .. seat heater pads got lost in transit to them for a while and now shipping from England is ridiculous. I’m not really in a hurry though.

The group buy deal was ridiculously good compared to what mine cost, but I asked HMS if there are any discounts available and they threw 10% in, so that’s something!

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

They do respond eventually but are probably extra slow due to covid right now. They took a week or two to get back to my initial email last fall but are great to work with. I’m local so went in to the store to discuss details.

Been waiting for my seats for a long time .. seat heater pads got lost in transit to them for a while and now shipping from England is ridiculous. I’m not really in a hurry though.

The group buy deal was ridiculously good compared to what mine cost, but I asked HMS if there are any discounts available and they threw 10% in, so that’s something!
        Did you have them do something custom?

Current:

Comment

Yeah, having them done custom is something they always allow, and HMS is the way to go for that.... as slow as the plague has made them.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Did you have them do something custom?
            I was going to have them do relicate black leather but their own leather ended up being cost effective and a good match. But yeah HMS knew all about custom ordering options and pricing.

Comment

Cool thanks. Need to save some coin to do some M-tex centered set of fronts!

Current:

Comment

IIRC a few ordered in cinnamon. Does anyone remember where the hide is from? Relicate has a few napa hides listed but I'm not sure how the match was.
                2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
                Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
                Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
                Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
                Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
                Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

I passed a super good deal on a pair of these for my BBK. It's good to know these are awesome seats. Adding these to the list of mods.
                  This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Thanks for bringing your write-up over from M3F. Very detailed and good insight.
                    IND DISTRIBUTION | 847-963-4520 • INSTAGRAMFACEBOOKYOUTUBEFLICKR

Comment

Hey not trying to pee in the Cheerios (honest question here), but do fixed back seats spook you on a shared duty car (street and track) in the event of a rollover? I didn't see a rollbar in your car.

​​​​​​EDIT: that setup looks spectacular. Meant to include that and fat fingered the post button on my phone...
                      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                        Hey not trying to pee in the Cheerios (honest question here), but do fixed back seats spook you on a shared duty car (street and track) in the event of a rollover? I didn't see a rollbar in your car.

​​​​​​EDIT: that setup looks spectacular. Meant to include that and fat fingered the post button on my phone...
                        No— there’s nothing riskier about a fixed back than a reclining seat in a roll over. That’s an old myth that somehow keeps getting perpetuated, but there no data behind it. Stock cars are available with fixed backseats without roll bars in every country other than USA (including the e46– the CSL (or GTR)). Additionally, rollbars (that are in a functional position to actually help you in a roll) are a huge safety hazard when you’re not wearing a helmet/harness, so that would make me very uncomfortable.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

No— there’s nothing riskier about a fixed back than a reclining seat in a roll over. That’s an old myth that somehow keeps getting perpetuated, but there no data behind it. Stock cars are available with fixed backseats without roll bars in every country other than USA (including the e46– the CSL (or GTR)). Additionally, rollbars (that are in a functional position to actually help you in a roll) are a huge safety hazard when you’re not wearing a helmet/harness, so that would make me very uncomfortable.
                          Cool. Been a while since I've heard a verdict on this one so figured I'd ask. I was thinking of doing the same, hence the real motivation behind the question.

And agree on the rollbar safety issue. Even with the proper rated padding wrapped around it (i.e., not pipe insulation), that padding is for use with helmets. And even then... you don't want to hit it.

Comment

Cool. Been a while since I've heard a verdict on this one so figured I'd ask. I was thinking of doing the same, hence the real motivation behind the question.

And agree on the rollbar safety issue. Even with the proper rated padding wrapped around it (i.e., not pipe insulation), that padding is for use with helmets. And even then... you don't want to hit it.
                            Ha, well, weirdly I've given this a ton of thought, as I designed seat/restraint systems for a living. The longstanding myth that a reclining seat is better in a rollover has always bothered me, as it makes no sense. The load requirements on seat backs mean you're getting crushed either way, if the roof comes in-- your body forcing the seat to recline by being crushed by the roof isn't going to keep you alive.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Ha, well, weirdly I've given this a ton of thought, as I designed seat/restraint systems for a living. The longstanding myth that a reclining seat is better in a rollover has always bothered me, as it makes no sense. The load requirements on seat backs mean you're getting crushed either way, if the roof comes in-- your body forcing the seat to recline by being crushed by the roof isn't going to keep you alive.
                              I'm used to a lot of metal around a fixed back seat, but thought my mindset could be dated. Appreciate the response.

What type of seats and restraints are you talking about? Super interested to hear more if it's not too much of a thread hijack.

PS. Note the triangles...

Comment

I'm used to a lot of metal around a fixed back seat, but thought my mindset could be dated. Appreciate the response.

What type of seats and restraints are you talking about? Super interested to hear more if it's not too much of a thread hijack.

PS. Note the triangles...
                                (properly designed) Metal around the seat is good around the seat, if you're fully restrained and wearing a helmet. Metal near your head when wearing a 3 point and/or no helmet is not. Wearing a 3 point, you move around a ton in a crash.

These days I mostly design seats for military and commercial vehicles, mostly with integrated seatbelts.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X