No announcement yet.

Supersprint quality control issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP's pics showed flanges way too far out of alignment for me to want to let torque bring that tube into place.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Define "eventually"?

I'm coming up on 10 years on most of my supersprint parts (swapped out their single tube section 2 for their twin tube section 2 two years ago, so it's younger), and none of them have failed-- including a fair bit of track use. A friends M5 is full supersprint for a decade, zero failures. In fact, of everyone I know with SS parts, I've seen no failures (mentioned those to specific cars because their SS parts have high mileage and track use).

In an infinite time frame, you're certainly right. That said, so will stock. As will the planet :P
      It's not just me, it's other people that don't frequent forums. E39 M5 X pipes cracking, headers cracking at the collectors, my own SS Sec 2 had to be welded twice because of the shit factory MIG welds etc. I have the entire 2.5" Sec 1 and 2 sitting but I'm going to have my welder take a good look a them prior to installing them. Again for the prices they charge it's dumb. It would be marginally more to have them made custom at this point but that takes time and effort.
      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 BMW ///M3
      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
        These are individual tube headers that don't have one-piece flanges. A company like this is going to have their flanges fastened to a jig (so position is the same every time) and tubes moved around in a "positioner". Understand that stainless steel has some "bounce back" as a material.
        Once you mount it with exhaust gaskets it's going to pull into the head when it's torqued down. I would be very surprised if you're not completely fine. If the flange "plane" (angle) was way off then you'd have exhaust flow angles being "cheated".

I tried to push them against a surface and I doubt 3 15nm nuts will do it. Only maybe later heat will release some stress and will need to retorque.

Comment

Very disappointing... looks like quality control took a day off

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
            It's not one bad batch, it's their shit MIG welding skills. I've seen pretty much every SS part eventually fail which is sad considering how much they charge.
            The entirety of SS V1's are TIG'ed. On select components, like on the H-pipe on SS's section 2, is MIG'ed due to rougher fitment while the rest of the piece is TIG'ed. Many components on the factory system are MIG'ed.

TIG always takes longer so products reflect the incremental labor. Beyond that, TIG will always be thrust up on a pedestal for some of the higher-performance aspects but do not assume that means MIG is substandard.
            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Such a disappointment to see the quality issues with SS. Perhaps they caught on to it, hence discounts offered several times throughout this year/last year? I remember when it was a rarity for SS products to go on discount a few years back but between ECS and Schmiedmann, it's not uncommon to see these days.

Anyone have experience with fabspeed headers? Quality, longevity and power feedback?

Comment

I guess I'm in no hurry and if mine turn out to be screwed up I'll just keep sending them back until its right. Please let them be ok
                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                Instagram

Comment

SS has never been perfect fitment.

It's probably a logically fallacy. People ascribe "perfect fitment" to them because the parts are nice, expensive, and good power and the legend grows.

Still great stuff, mind.
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

If I remember mine, I think it may have been off by 1/16th. But it's been 15 years with no issues!
                    17 iO1 i3
                    16 F22 M235i
                    08 E93 M3
                    04 E46 M3 Carbon Schwarz - SMG II - Discovery Automotive tuned - AFE Stage 2 - SS Stepped - SS Metallic Cats - Eisenmann X-pipe - SS Race - 4.10 - ACS CF lip - 6000K Heads & Fogs - Tein S

Comment

theyre not worth it... the extra few hp if that, just isnt worth that extra money.. I went with the BW Single-stepped and I love them, quality was top notch, they fit PERFECT, slipped right on and I scored them for under 900$ shipped on black friday.

Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

ummmmmm
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                          I guess I'm in no hurry and if mine turn out to be screwed up I'll just keep sending them back until its right. Please let them be ok
                          I'll probably end up doing the same - - feel like I've invested too much into their complete system now to go back. If the problem still isn't rectified in the next few batches, I'm sure ECS & Turner aren't going to be happy with all the merchandise exchanges and prepaid return shipping costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Onefastsicilian View Post
                            theyre not worth it... the extra few hp if that, just isnt worth that extra money.. I went with the BW Single-stepped and I love them, quality was top notch, they fit PERFECT, slipped right on and I scored them for under 900$ shipped on black friday.

These are the CPI headers?

Comment

ECS currently has the SSV1s on sale.... and I was going to place my order, now am not so sure. Does anyone know if EPIC Motorsports is still making their performance headers?

If CP-BW would make a Version 2 of this header with a true 2.50" OD collector outlet/pipe instead of the current 2.33" OD, I bet they would close the gap on the all mighty SSV1.

Originally posted by Onefastsicilian View Post

Formally SWRTstang_M3 on M3forum.net with a join date of 07/2004

Comment

Originally posted by SWRT_M3 View Post
                                ECS currently has the SSV1s on sale.... and I was going to place my order, now am not so sure. Does anyone know if EPIC Motorsports is still making their performance headers?

If CP-BW would make a Version 2 of this header with a true 2.50" OD collector outlet/pipe instead of the current 2.33" OD, I bet they would close the gap on the all mighty SSV1.

1700 bucks for parts that may or may not fit isn't a good deal. Epic stopped making their headers a while ago. I just scored a development set from ARH so I'm going that route to pair up with the SS 2.5" Sec 1 and 2. I don't see why you couldn't cut from the collectors back on the CPI's and make them 2.5" OD. However, the reason why SSV1's make their power is because of the location of the steps and the severity of them. CPI is single stepped and it's mild in comparison. So it won't match but we're talking 5-10 hp on a car that has less torque than a new Camry.
                                2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                                2005 BMW ///M3
                                Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                                2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                                2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                                2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X