Coilover Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post

Yeah I couldn't care less for slamming it lol. Unfortunately TCK DA is out of budget. The major downside with GC and TCK SA is that the rear must be adjusted off the car. Why do you say Ohlins needs some effort to get nice on track? I need some schooling on coilovers. I have read through many posts (honestly most of them are yours ) and I think i'm getting the hang of it but im not nearly experienced enough to make the decision on my own.
    TCK SAs do not need to be removed from the car to be adjusted-- they are top adjustable, front and rear.

The Ohlins... just aren't designed to be used with camber plates, and if you're tracking you want camber plates (saves a ton of money on tire wear, adds grip).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Yeah I couldn't care less for slamming it lol. Unfortunately TCK DA is out of budget. The major downside with GC and TCK SA is that the rear must be adjusted off the car. Why do you say Ohlins needs some effort to get nice on track? I need some schooling on coilovers. I have read through many posts (honestly most of them are yours ) and I think i'm getting the hang of it but im not nearly experienced enough to make the decision on my own.
      You’re a perfect candidate for PSS10’s. I think they’ll suit your goals a little better than TCK SA at your budget, and the difference you save over KW or Ohlins can -and should- be spent on camber plates and sways. Bigger net improvement to overall performance this way, and much better dampers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jvit27 View Post

You’re a perfect candidate for PSS10’s. I think they’ll suit your goals a little better than TCK SA at your budget, and the difference you save over KW or Ohlins can -and should- be spent on camber plates and sways. Bigger net improvement to overall performance this way, and much better dampers as well.
        I already have turner sways. Don’t TCK come with camber plates?

Why do you say that these have better dampers than the other options?

Comment

Does anyone have any opinion on Clubsport or competition 2 way by KW?

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            Don't get KWV3s to track. TCK D/As or S/As will be better. Or GCs. Or the Ohlins, with some effort.

The V2s/V3s are a good option if you want to slam your shit. If you want your car to ride and handle, there's better options out there.
            Dont have experience with the 3's but the 2's were crap enough on track that cant imagine the 3's being enough of an improvement.

TCK SA's the rear dampers can be adjusted on the car and rear spring perch can be rotated with some effort. If anything you may need to remove the lower strut bolt. But I always do it on the car with everything attached. And how often you change ride height.
            2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
            2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
            2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Then the gc coilover conversion is a bad route to go because it doesn’t increase bump travel.

That said, you’re going to degrade handling going lower than the Dinan’s either way. The GCs will also degrade ride quality (going that low without increasing bump travel).
              Do TCKs have the same coilover conversion problem with bump travel?

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post

Do TCKs have the same coilover conversion problem with bump travel?
                No.

Any only GC's "coilover conversion" suffers this-- not their actual coilovers.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Don't get KWV3s to track. TCK D/As or S/As will be better. Or GCs. Or the Ohlins, with some effort.

The V2s/V3s are a good option if you want to slam your shit. If you want your car to ride and handle, there are better options out there.
                  This is very interesting, the V3 is praised as being the best of the best for the Z4M platform, and here I find conflicting comments. I say interesting because despite being different cars, the suspension geometry is very similar (the rear is actually the same and the front is a very similar architecture). Now the Z4M is "known" to ride like crap (mine at least does, and is on H&R coil overs) and I am advised to migrate to KW V3.

So this time I plan to perhaps do a more thoughtful move and pay for a consultancy call with FCM and see what they say about my plan of using stock springs front (linear for the matter of the actual travel once installed) and linear rear TCK springs, stock height and stock bump stops. I should be able to match the front using 400 or 500# springs. for the dampers my idea is to get a set of B6 Bilsteins shocks and have FMC tune them to my application; a fast road setup that rides well and does not knock my teeth off every bump!!!!

Thoughts on this approach?
                  Last edited by maupineda; 09-22-2020, 12:57 PM.

Comment

No.

Any only GC's "coilover conversion" suffers this-- not their actual coilovers.
                    Side question. Curious as to why you’re moving to FCM if you’re recommending all these other setups for people.

Comment

can TCK's be used with turner street camber plates?also can they be run with 2.5 springs?
                      Last edited by benzthis; 09-22-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Side question. Curious as to why you’re moving to FCM if you’re recommending all these other setups for people.
                        I have not yet experienced the FCMs and this setup is going to set me back $5-6000 (so not really a competitor to what’s being discussed here).

Mostly, though, I could end up hating them— don’t want to recommend something I have no experience with.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I have not yet experienced the FCMs and this setup is going to set me back $5-6000 (so not really a competitor to what’s being discussed here).

Mostly, though, I could end up hating them— don’t want to recommend something I have no experience with.
                          Holy...

Sticker shock. Just curious as to what more you’re getting from FCM instead of doing the math and doing it all yourself. Haven’t you already done that with your Öhlins?

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post

This is very interesting, the V3 is praised as being the best of the best for the Z4M platform, and here I find conflicting comments. I say interesting because despite being different cars, the suspension geometry is very similar (the rear is actually the same and the front is a very similar architecture). Now the Z4M is "known" to ride like crap (mine at least does, and is on H&R coil overs) and I am advised to migrate to KW V3.

So this time I plan to perhaps do a more thoughtful move and pay for a consultancy call with FCM and see what they say about my plan of using stock springs front (linear for the matter of the actual travel once installed) and linear rear TCK springs, stock height and stock bump stops. I should be able to match the front using 400 or 500# springs. for the dampers my idea is to get a set of B6 Bilsteins shocks and have FMC tune them to my application; a fast road setup that rides well and does not knock my teeth off every bump!!!!

Thoughts on this approach?
                            The overwhelming majority of Z4M setups are compromised by the car being very low production and kinda sorta similar to e36 up front. Most setups sold for the Z4M are e36 setups... and not at all optimized for the car as a result.

If KW actually developed a bespoke setup for the Z4M in the V3s, I could easily see it actually being better than a half assed e36 setup from one of the other companies,
                            (I'm not saying this is the case, just giving a possible explanation).

If you can get a Bilstein that fits the chassis and has sufficient bump and droop travel, FCM could certainly valve it to match whatever spring rates you want and not ride like crap. If such a bilstein exists, I don't know. If they're using e36 parts, the e36 Bilsteins were already severely limited on bump travel, and it'll only be worse in the Z4M...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Holy...

Sticker shock. Just curious as to what more you’re getting from FCM instead of doing the math and doing it all yourself. Haven’t you already done that with your Öhlins?
                              Custom built shocks, with all of his extras. And camber plates, rsms, etc again.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

The overwhelming majority of Z4M setups are compromised by the car being very low production and kinda sorta similar to e36 up front. Most setups sold for the Z4M are e36 setups... and not at all optimized for the car as a result.

If KW actually developed a bespoke setup for the Z4M in the V3s, I could easily see it actually being better than a half assed e36 setup from one of the other companies,
                                (I'm not saying this is the case, just giving a possible explanation).

If you can get a Bilstein that fits the chassis and has sufficient bump and droop travel, FCM could certainly valve it to match whatever spring rates you want and not ride like crap. If such a bilstein exists, I don't know. If they're using e36 parts, the e36 Bilsteins were already severely limited on bump travel, and it'll only be worse in the Z4M...
                                Bilstein has Z4M specific B6/HD shocks.

Comment

Working...
                                X