No announcement yet.

Megan Racing Headers Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of the better chinese made headers. There was a bad batch, but that was a while ago I think they fixed it. Can still find sets for $395 on ebay last I looked.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by MTiz View Post
      So would you all recommend Megan Headers? My car is going under the knife soon and I'm contemplating adding headers and want a budget-friendly pair. Was fitment and sound good, as well as power gains? Thank you
      Most bang for buck performance upgrade for this car is headers especially if you do it yourself, get a buddy and bang it out (pun intended) in a day. Most noticeable is the midrange if I remember correctly. Tune will net you over 300whp with healthy internals and a decent exhaust setup without too many 180 bends in the muffler.
      2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

They fit and they were $300. Went on with no issues. Far easier to install the Megans then removing the OE manifolds!

I have the BW race exhaust and the headers definitely increased the volume over the OE manifolds.

Comment

I think I'm gonna get them then. Should sound great with the full SS exhaust that came on my car.
          2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

They are now $500 keep going up in price.

Comment

$500 is yesterday's $300. Your dollar has been diluted with stimulus $.

Comment

Imagine complaining about $500 for two pieces of header for a 60k car.
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Of the highest chinese quality to boot

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                    Imagine complaining about $500 for two pieces of header for a 60k car.
                    I'm complaining because I didn't buy it when it was 350 and AA headers are only $700.
                    Last edited by Ipeciulis; 10-15-2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Look at it this way, they're still 1/5 the price of supersprints.
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I just put a set of these Megan Racing headers on as part of a CSL-style intake project on a track car (2005 manual). I purchased from Prestige Auto Lab for $328. Shipping was timely and the product fitment is spot on. Here’s what I’ll add:

1) Studs: one of mine backed out on cylinder 1. I replaced it with one the N54 ones recommended in this thread. It went in to the shoulder easily with a small ratchet. Pro: easy to install nut. Con: it’s longer, so more wrenching and the new threads and nut make that a challenge. I’m glad I didn’t replace them all based on that consideration; I had 18 to use if needed.
                        2) Tool: the $30 Gear Wrench 35 Piece 1/4" Drive MicroDriver Set, combined with a short extension can get all the nuts while working from the top. Ergonomically, this was a good position for tightening on install. I did not use the battery powered 1/4 drive ratchet I intentionally bought for this job.
                        3) O2 sensors: the Pre Cat, Bank 2 wire is not long enough to be routed on the original ‘path’, I had to route it directly over the back of the valve cover to avoid the header. It is also in a position that seems to compromise the wires, with a tight fit against the firewall heat shield. (Maybe I’ve done something wrong?)
                        4) EGT probe needs a u-turn bend instead of the original 90 degree bend to provide an optimal routing and a bit more slack in the wire. I will find out from Epic Motorsports if it’s even required for his tune.
                        5) The Megan ‘gasket’ for headers to section 1 joint is preferred over OEM because it’s dimensions allow the bolts to be used to compress the material, whereas the OEM dimensions prevent threading the nut on original bolts.
                        6) Process: contrary to some DIY videos and instructions, the original headers can be removed, with the O2 sensors still installed without removing any engine mounts or front control arm components.
                        7) Optional ‘while I’m in there’: this is a good time to replace the coolant hose BMW-11537830713

Now, once I get through some issues I’m having with the OBD connection and the Epic software (that I didn’t have on a previous tune a few months ago) I’ll get the car running and head to the dyno.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by OldRanger; 01-07-2024, 04:27 AM. Reason: Add pictures

Comment

Originally posted by OldRanger View Post
                          I just put a set of these Megan Racing headers on as part of a CSL-style intake project on a track car (2005 manual). I purchased from Prestige Auto Lab for $328. Shipping was timely and the product fitment is spot on. Here’s what I’ll add:

1) Studs: one of mine backed out on cylinder 1. I replaced it with one the N54 ones recommended in this thread. It went in to the shoulder easily with a small ratchet. Pro: easy to install nut. Con: it’s longer, so more wrenching and the new threads and nut make that a challenge. I’m glad I didn’t replace them all based on that consideration; I had 18 to use if needed.
                          2) Tool: the $30 Gear Wrench 35 Piece 1/4" Drive MicroDriver Set, combined with a short extension can get all the nuts while working from the top. Ergonomically, this was a good position for tightening on install. I did not use the battery powered 1/4 drive ratchet I intentionally bought for this job.
                          3) O2 sensors: the Pre Cat, Bank 2 wire is not long enough to be routed on the original ‘path’, I had to route it directly over the back of the valve cover to avoid the header. It is also in a position that seems to compromise the wires, with a tight fit against the firewall heat shield. (Maybe I’ve done something wrong?)
                          4) EGT probe needs a u-turn bend instead of the original 90 degree bend to provide an optimal routing and a bit more slack in the wire. I will find out from Epic Motorsports if it’s even required for his tune.
                          5) The Megan ‘gasket’ for headers to section 1 joint is preferred over OEM because it’s dimensions allow the bolts to be used to compress the material, whereas the OEM dimensions prevent threading the nut on original bolts.
                          6) Process: contrary to some DIY videos and instructions, the original headers can be removed, with the O2 sensors still installed without removing any engine mounts or front control arm components.
                          7) Optional ‘while I’m in there’: this is a good time to replace the coolant hose BMW-11537830713

Now, once I get through some issues I’m having with the OBD connection and the Epic software (that I didn’t have on a previous tune a few months ago) I’ll get the car running and head to the dyno.
                          My o2 wires also weren't long enough. I used new oem gaskets for the header to sec 1 joint and have no issues. The gaskets that Megan provides are pretty crappy imo, so I used oem.

Comment

I used my stock studs. You should definitely get a tune after doing the headers as well. You’ll get a bump in power and you won’t have to worry about the o2 sensors

Comment

Working...
                            X