Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuned! 332whp! My Engine Build - Cams, Airbox, LTW Flyhweel & more :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like there were 2 but they broke off
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I'm surprised by the lack of vertical supports on your airbox. Will be interesting to see if you get any noticeable flex under vacuum once you get it installed.
      This is their new design

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I'm surprised by the lack of vertical supports on your airbox. Will be interesting to see if you get any noticeable flex under vacuum once you get it installed.
        It didn't occur to me other boxes have vertical supports inside. No idea how I will tell if it does flex under vacuum?

Edit: Just read 0-60motorsports comment above.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

This is their new design
          Wonder why/how they decided that these were no longer needed in their new design. Maybe the wall thickness went up and that negates the need for them?

Originally posted by Syfon View Post

It didn't occur to me other boxes have vertical supports inside. No idea how I will tell if it does flex under vacuum?

Edit: Just read 0-60motorsports comment above.
          Eh I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. Just get someone to rev the car while you stare at it, once you get it installed.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Looks like there were 2 but they broke off
            Yeah it looks like adhesive between 2 and 3 then 4 and 5 at the bottom. Could be just be bad resin job.

I'm curious to see how you like the flywheel. There's so few reviews on it.
            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

Yeah it looks like adhesive between 2 and 3 then 4 and 5 at the bottom. Could be just be bad resin job.

I'm curious to see how you like the flywheel. There's so few reviews on it.
              I'll pull it out of the box and have another look.

Yeah I'm really keen to see how it feels! Along with all the other goodies

Comment

Update!

So I'm waiting on a friend to fix the mesh that covers the secondary oil pump pickup. Mine was broken when I originally removed the sump. I should pick that part up today or tomorrow! Hoping to continue with the engine build this weekend; timing gear installed, head on, vanos in, motor timed, sump on.

I've set myself the target of getting her on the road by xmas. Told my wife I want to get in the M3 on xmas day and go for a ride

Everything else is clean, prepped and ready to go!

More updates coming soon

Comment

Let's get some more pics brotha!

Comment

Update!

Oil pump in, sump on, rear main mount/seal on, timing gear & case cover on, head on, cams in!

Secondary oil pump pick up mesh was fixed as a home diy job thanks to a usefull kitchen item

Rear main and sump went on without an issue. Used BMW Sealing Compound Drei Bond 1209 on the joins, as directed by the relevant newtis article/s.

Timing guides, chain, case cover all went on with ease.

Head went on pretty easy. Was an interested experience torqueing the head bolts per the newtis article. Cams also in.

Crank was set to TDC prior to head going on. Cams have been set to the approximate TDC positions for cylinder 1.

Hoping to get the motor timed and vanos installed this weekend.

Xmas skids coming right up hahaha

This project is finally getting some serious traction!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Great work! That block just looks absolutely gorgeous.
                      Removal/replacement of the cams is something I eventually want to do myself, too bad newtis is gone.
                      Any stripped/damaged bolts so far that needed replacement?
                      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                        Great work! That block just looks absolutely gorgeous.
                        Removal/replacement of the cams is something I eventually want to do myself, too bad newtis is gone.
                        Any stripped/damaged bolts so far that needed replacement?
                        Thank you! If you're curious the colour is VHT Burnt Copper

Once the vanos is removed, it's really quite easy to get the cams out.

You can still access newtis, just sign up. Easy to figure out

No damaged or stripped bolts thus far. I've been quite careful removing everything. Also cleaning every nut and bolt prior to re-installation. I want the motor to be as clean as possible!

Side note; pending replacement of the clutch in my m-sport 325ti, the s54 should be timed and vanos installed this weekend. Then I'm on the home stretch

Comment

Such a fun and cool project/experience to rebuild this engine. Good luck getting her going again and look forward to seeing the end result!

Comment

Hi,
                            Rearching cams, supposing you didn't change pistons or rods, which cam durations and lifts did you choose and why?
                            I'm not changing internals, have eventuri airbox, single step headers, mod'd section 1 and SS street muffler.
                            I can't even find definitive answer on what csl cams were much less all the alternatives. Obviously won't do the 300+ duration, and want zero risk of valves hitting pistons, so willing to go up a bit on lift, but not enough to add risk at say 8200 RPM (likely to leave mine limited to 8000 but it obviously goes over that a bit from time to time).

Thanks!

ADS

Comment

IMO with stock displacement and 288/280 you would want to be buzzing it quite a bit north of 8k to properly utilise the added duration, or on a stroker 288/280 it will work better/more effectively at a slightly lower rpm range because the engine has more cubic inches. So 280/272 might be a happy medium for stock displacement. i don't think anyone has ever properly tested 288/280 vs 280/272 on same engine. With mild cams you're limited in what's available for lift anyway so shouldn't be a issue with hurting the something if the valve train is fresh and in good order to start with.

The CSL cams were between stock and 280/272 for duration, it is only a very mild upgrade over stock. Someone will link the document i remember seeing in within last few months
                              Last edited by digger; 12-08-2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                                Someone will link the document i remember seeing in within last few months
                                CSL cams are 268/264.
                                Attached Files
                                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X