Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuned! 332whp! My Engine Build - Cams, Airbox, LTW Flyhweel & more :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedM3/4 View Post
    Hi,
    Rearching cams, supposing you didn't change pistons or rods, which cam durations and lifts did you choose and why?
    I'm not changing internals, have eventuri airbox, single step headers, mod'd section 1 and SS street muffler.
    I can't even find definitive answer on what csl cams were much less all the alternatives. Obviously won't do the 300+ duration, and want zero risk of valves hitting pistons, so willing to go up a bit on lift, but not enough to add risk at say 8200 RPM (likely to leave mine limited to 8000 but it obviously goes over that a bit from time to time).

Thanks!

ADS
    Bottom end is 100% stock save for ACL main & rod bearings.

I've gone with Cat Cams 280/272 12.50mm (in) & 12.25mm (ex). Didn't see the point in spending the extra on the 288/280's in Schrick (they're over twice the price of the Cat 280/272's), plus it is recommended the followers are replaced with the 288's. Power gains when comparing 288/280 & 280/272 will be minimal, and for the $3,000+AUD increase in price, it's not worth it for a small amount of extra hp. Besides, with a lightweight flywheel, underdrive pullies, no clutch fan, airbox & cams, it will be plenty powerful

You can view the OE & 280/272 specsheets at the below links

Comment

Hello just popping in here because I’ve been following in silence but I’ve seen 3 cases as of recent of these cat cams failing due to improper hardening. I have been looking into getting these myself and I came across a video by Motorsport inspired on YouTube documenting his and his warranty process. One other fella had an issue with him as well. Shortly after I stumbled across a guy on the Facebook forum.

I really am excited to see this build get finished! (Mine should be done in couple months ) I just don’t want to see this get messed up by the bad batch!
      Sorry if this was already mentioned I didn’t go all the way up before posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Amazing build , wait for light flywheel reviews

Comment

Hey bro it’s been a while since I’ve visited the forum. Glad to see your build is going well. I just recently got my engine back from machine shop. Hope to have it together on the car by New Years.

Comment

Hi,
            Do you have links to what you cite below? I'm also looking at cams; the person on FB I'm aware of had reground Dbilas cams, post was E46 M3 Owners on Dec3, 7:30 PM EST (on my machine).
            Thanks!
            ADS

Originally posted by Darbshaw View Post
            Hello just popping in here because I’ve been following in silence but I’ve seen 3 cases as of recent of these cat cams failing due to improper hardening. I have been looking into getting these myself and I came across a video by Motorsport inspired on YouTube documenting his and his warranty process. One other fella had an issue with him as well. Shortly after I stumbled across a guy on the Facebook forum.

I really am excited to see this build get finished! (Mine should be done in couple months ) I just don’t want to see this get messed up by the bad batch!

Comment

Hi,
              Do you have links to what you cite below? I'm also looking at cams; the person on FB I'm aware of had reground Dbilas cams, post was E46 M3 Owners on Dec3, 7:30 PM EST (on my machine).
              Thanks!
              ADS

So here’s all the links on this in order of what happened. I cannot remember exactly what order or the specifics of this video. This guy has a ton of good content worth checking out anyways.

https://youtu.be/xwDTpIWioBo (Initial failure)

https://youtu.be/fCnPHkYyAWg (second install)

https://youtu.be/pqIquM5BDrE (Warranty and more explanation I believe)

Comment

I've been following motorsport inspired on youtube for a while now. Saw the video about the cat cams failing. His video was uploaded May 31 2020; he must have ordered his cams late 2019 or early 2020. I ordered my cams June/July 2020, so my guess is they were manufactured after this batch which failed due to improper hardening (?). Unsure if there is any way to tell whether or not my cams will have the same issue as his? I still have the original box/barcode/production numbers etc.. I'm sure I could contact cat cams and seek clarification.

I'm very excited to finish this build too!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudbari View Post
                  Amazing build , wait for light flywheel reviews
                  Thanks! I'm sure it'll be a positive review haha

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post
                    Hey bro it’s been a while since I’ve visited the forum. Glad to see your build is going well. I just recently got my engine back from machine shop. Hope to have it together on the car by New Years.
                    It's very slow progress at present. I was hoping to have the motor together and in the bay come NY but that didn't happen!

How's your build coming along?

Comment

So I planned on finishing the engine build over the xmas/ny break. Due to my lack of knowledge, research and pure ignorance, I found out at the last minute the cat cams require installation of the pressure relief valves found in some early model s54 camshaft. As far as I understand, some early s54 cams were a hollow design and had a 4.5bar pressure relief valve fitted just behind where the vanos shaft moves into the cam. These valves would open at ~4.5bar and provide oil to lubricate the vanos radial bearings (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!).

My stock s54 cams are a solid design. I.e. instead of a pressure relief valve present behind the vanos shaft, it's a solid wall. After some reading of various forums and watching a heap of youtube videos (including the one from motorsport inspired where he installs his cat 280/272's), I found the correct part number for said pressure relief valves. Watch from 14minutes where he talks about the pressure relief valves - https://youtu.be/q-pQfoPegrw?t=841

Realoem does not list an individual part number for said valves for the s54. However, the e39 m5 uses 4 x pressure relief valves in their cams. These parts are available separately from the dealer. Part Number 11311402197

Realoem does show the pressure relief valves are also fitted to S50B32 cams. Just an fyi for anyone out there who finds themselves in the same predicament as me. https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_6565

I ordered 2 x pressure relief valves. Parts are ex-germany (none availble in australia). $320aud delivered.

I'm yet to receive these parts. They were ordered 29 Dec 2020, so they should arrive soon.

Upon receipt of these valves, I can install them and proceed with timing the motor, installing the vanos etc etc.

It's been a massive pain in the ass and multiple delays but everything is (very) slowly coming together.

During the break I also had some new power steering lines made up. Late 2019 when I removed the front end, I was unable to release the power steering hoses from the cooler. The clips seemed to be jammed and wouldn't come undone. I lost what little patience I had at the time and simply cut them off. Had a local shop make up some new hoses using the standard end fittings.

Last but not least - Motorsport Inspired recently posted a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tqNRb7X430) showing the inside trumpets of his Streamline Autosport (now Haimus Racing) csl airbox having failed. The trumpets on his airbox are 3d printed plastic. Mine is identical to this. Long story short, Streamline have reached out to me and advised my "new airbox" (with carbon fibre trumpets) will be finished start of February and will be posted to me. I will send mine back to them. Unfortunately this is another delay, but given what happened to this bloke on his yt channel, I don't want to install the airbox on a brand new motor and have the same issue appear and flush nearly $20k.

The last few weeks have really been quite frustrating, but I guess this is what happens when you build a motor and throw a myriad of aftermarket parts at it. That, semi-restoring my daily driver and other time limits on my end (work, family, young child with another on the way!).

I'll post another update when I receive the pressure relief valves and make more progress on the motor. In the meantime, enjoy a picture of my new power steering hoses and my daily driver (2002 E46 Compact 325Ti M sport manual, doing a few mods such as slamming, tune, exhaust, intake, big stereo etc )
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Syfon; 01-03-2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks! It looks like Catcams did the right thing and replaced his cams, but guess he had to buy their followers, and I see their site states you're only warranted if you also put in their followers. I had no idea putting the followers in was such a pita regarding the rod removal!

ADS

So here’s all the links on this in order of what happened. I cannot remember exactly what order or the specifics of this video. This guy has a ton of good content worth checking out anyways.

https://youtu.be/xwDTpIWioBo (Initial failure)

https://youtu.be/fCnPHkYyAWg (second install)

https://youtu.be/pqIquM5BDrE (Warranty and more explanation I believe)

Comment

I'd contact them for sure. in the vids he says his latest cams were polished and the first set was not, so that would be one indication. I was considering the brand, but it's hard to know how much research went into their alternate follower design with the holes drilled at a different angle and more of a mist. My guy says it makes sense, but we've seen no issue of cam wear with the OE design which has gazillion miles of history, so it's unclear why they felt the need to change it, or if they did so due to problems they saw with their specific cams ...
                          Did you buy their followers?

ADS
                          Originally posted by Syfon View Post

I've been following motorsport inspired on youtube for a while now. Saw the video about the cat cams failing. His video was uploaded May 31 2020; he must have ordered his cams late 2019 or early 2020. I ordered my cams June/July 2020, so my guess is they were manufactured after this batch which failed due to improper hardening (?). Unsure if there is any way to tell whether or not my cams will have the same issue as his? I still have the original box/barcode/production numbers etc.. I'm sure I could contact cat cams and seek clarification.

I'm very excited to finish this build too!

Comment

I'd contact them for sure. in the vids he says his latest cams were polished and the first set was not, so that would be one indication. I was considering the brand, but it's hard to know how much research went into their alternate follower design with the holes drilled at a different angle and more of a mist. My guy says it makes sense, but we've seen no issue of cam wear with the OE design which has gazillion miles of history, so it's unclear why they felt the need to change it, or if they did so due to problems they saw with their specific cams ...
                            Did you buy their followers?

ADS

No I did not purchase their followers. My local machine shop serviced the head, adjusted the valve lash and installed the cat cams for me. I told him about many people advising the followers be replaced however his experience suggests followers are not required to be replaced on such a low mileage motor (mine has under 60,000miles on it). Regardless, I'm still thinking of replacing the followers for piece of mind, however it isn't a cheap exercise.

I'm yet to reach out to cat cams regarding my specific set of cams. Will do so at some point in the next couple days.

Comment

Both pressure relief valves arrived today. They're a different part number to the cpv valve on the side of the block, however they look the same.

Some pics for those interested. Hopefully find the time this weekend to finish the top end!
                              Attached Files

Comment

i would call streamline or Haimus and have them send you out a new box... thats NOT the new design... all the new boxes DO NOT USE THE 3D PRINTED HORNS!!! theres a vid posted a week ago of a guy who had your box and those intake horns failed and stuck in his engine... posted on 12/30... they updated their boxes around september.. all new design boxes have the carbon intake horns.. they did away with the ones you have. They shipped this guy a new box ASAP..

vid of the failure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tqNRb7X430 posted 12/30/20

vid of the new box : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXwXrgi5g_w posted 1/8/21

Comment

Working...
                                X