Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuned! 332whp! My Engine Build - Cams, Airbox, LTW Flyhweel & more :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sapote View Post
    Did you have the spline shafts threaded to the pistons before trying to install them into the hubs? This is the hard way and I don't see the benefit doing so; the shafts should be installed into the hubs first and pretension the hub bolts, then the vanos threaded to the shafts.
    No, I installed the splined shafts in the hubs first to pretension the hub bolts then the vanos went on.

Comment

Torqueing the head bolts with engine outside is much easier than when I did this with engine in the car at a slanted angle, especially those closer to the firewall. To avoid the Torx socket jump off the bolt head and ruin it, I used rope looping around the cams to hold the wrench/socket-extension down tight. It's a very time consuming process but needs to be done properly. 30Nm + 90 + 90 is a lot of rope tightening and loosening for each bolt for the last 2 steps.

It is better to set the crank at 30 deg BTD to have all pistons lower before installing the head with cams installed (with opened valves).
      Well, given the engine is on a stand, torqueing the head bolts was straight forward although holding the motor on the stand while torqueing was a challenge lol

Makes sense re having it set to bdc before the head goes on. Didn't think about this.

Comment

These valves open to release excess oil pressure back to the oil pan (not for lubing the spline shaft bearings). The reason behind this is to avoid having higher oil pressure opposing the VANOS pistons motion during cam timing advancing. The radial bearings are lubed as soon as engine running, not just only when oil > 4.5 bar.
        If that's the case, why did later model S54 cams have a blanking plate? Wouldn't that mean the oil would force the oil back toward the vanos pistons instead? I'm interested to learn more about this

Comment

These cylinder bores were coated/treated with hard material. I would not hone/scuff the original valuable honed lines if they are in such good condition. Modern engines have the new machined sharp peak honed lines polished to a plateau before assemble. In the old days the new sharp peak honed lines required break-in and this process worn down the sharp corners of the rings, no good.
          When I removed the head, the cross-hatch pattern was perfectly visible in all bores. I lightly honed/scuffed the bores upon advice from several different people down under, including some who have built high-performance s54's in the past.

Nevertheless, interesting to learn about this!

Comment

Originally posted by Syfon View Post
            No, I installed the splined shafts in the hubs first to pretension the hub bolts then the vanos went on.
            Yeah, that's the right way. I read that you were having trouble at this step, but it's fairly simple by just turn the hub full CW (viewed at front), then insert the spline shaft in the hub -- and if needed, turn the shaft CCW not more than 1 tooth to get the shaft in. With the shaft in about 5mm (do not insert in fully in), torque 2 opposing bolts to spec then back out 1/4 turns. That's all.

This step is for having the hub with a maximum slot travel when the VANOS later pushing on the shaft and rotating the hub CCW by overcome the friction holding by those 2 bolts (pretension bolts).

Comment

Well, given the engine is on a stand, torqueing the head bolts was straight forward although holding the motor on the stand while torqueing was a challenge lol
              With both hands on the breaker bar to torque the bolt on the last step, I had no strength to keep the socket from jumping off the bolt, so I had to use the rope.

Comment

If that's the case, why did later model S54 cams have a blanking plate? Wouldn't that mean the oil would force the oil back toward the vanos pistons instead? I'm interested to learn more about this
                Cost cutting on later model is my guess. This means later model VANOS responds slower than the early ones. Or, they found the radial roller bearings need more lubricate oil and so redesigned to have 100% oil to the bearings.

Comment

Yeah, that's the right way. I read that you were having trouble at this step, but it's fairly simple by just turn the hub full CW (viewed at front), then insert the spline shaft in the hub -- and if needed, turn the shaft CCW not more than 1 tooth to get the shaft in. With the shaft in about 5mm (do not insert in fully in), torque 2 opposing bolts to spec then back out 1/4 turns. That's all.

This step is for having the hub with a maximum slot travel when the VANOS later pushing on the shaft and rotating the hub CCW by overcome the friction holding by those 2 bolts (pretension bolts).
                  This is exactly what I did. It just took me a little while to figure it out.

Comment

Cost cutting on later model is my guess. This means later model VANOS responds slower than the early ones. Or, they found the radial roller bearings need more lubricate oil and so redesigned to have 100% oil to the bearings.
                    Interesting. I'm going to do some more research on this subject. Really keen to find out exactly why they changed the design

Comment

So the motor is complete (almost lol). Waiting on a few misc bolts, heater box hoses & replacement pre-cat o2 sensors.

Purchased a Supersprint V1 Stepped manifold. Went for ceramic coating last week. Interesting seeing the OE euro (coated) manifold next to SS V1's; the SS are quite a different design and much wider. I'm sure once I do a bespoke tune, they will add to the overall HP gain, but I'm really interested to know how they will change the engine tone/note. Time will tell!

The aim is for everything to be in the car weekend after next.

Still waiting for my replacement airbox from Haimus (a.k.a. Streamline). Should have gone with a Karb from the get-go. Oh well.
                      Attached Files

Comment

So the motor is complete (almost lol). Waiting on a few misc bolts, heater box hoses & replacement pre-cat o2 sensors.

Purchased a Supersprint V1 Stepped manifold. Went for ceramic coating last week. Interesting seeing the OE euro (coated) manifold next to SS V1's; the SS are quite a different design and much wider. I'm sure once I do a bespoke tune, they will add to the overall HP gain, but I'm really interested to know how they will change the engine tone/note. Time will tell!

The aim is for everything to be in the car weekend after next.

Still waiting for my replacement airbox from Haimus (a.k.a. Streamline). Should have gone with a Karb from the get-go. Oh well.
                        Nice work. Looks great.

Comment

Impressive.
                          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                          Instagram

Comment

That is one clean engine, beautiful!
                            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Time for a small update!

Received my Suspersprint Stepped V1 headers back from ceramic coating a few days ago. I took some measurements of both the SS & Euro spec manifolds; ID's, Euro spec OD's, step OD (on the SS) & collectors. All measurements are in millimeters.

SSV1 ID
                              • #1 - 38.05
                              • #2 - 37.90
                              • #3 - 38.12
                              • #4 - 37.80
                              • #5 - 37.70
                              • #6 - 38.00
                              SSV1 Step OD
                              • #1 - 44.50
                              • #2 - 44.48
                              • #3 - 44.55
                              • #4 - 44.83
                              • #5 - 44.73
                              • #6 - 44.75
                              SSV1 Collectors
                              • #1 to 3 - 90.40
                              • #3 to 6 - 91.20

Euro Spec ID
                              • #1 - 35.50
                              • #2 - 35.60
                              • #3 - 35.40
                              • #4 - 35.50
                              • #5 - 35.50
                              • #6 - 35.46
                              Euro Spec OD
                              • #1 - 39.80
                              • #2 - 39.92
                              • #3 - 39.88
                              • #4 - 39.93
                              • #5 - 39.92
                              • #6 - 39.91
                              Euro Spec Collectors
                              • #1 to 3 - 83.20
                              • #3 to 6 - 83.30

It's quite interesting comparing the pipe id's & od's. The SSV1 is definitely a lot larger across the board! I didn't get the chance the measure the individual pipe lengths; will see if I can find the time this weekend to do that. Pics of the manifolds for those interested.

Received a few other new parts in the meantime; miscellaneous bolts, oil level sensor, oil pressure switch etc..

Engine & transmission going in during the upcoming easter long weekend. Come 6 April, it will be time to start her for the first time after having the last piece of the puzzle completed (exhaust work to have the SSV1's fit my section 1). Can't wait to hear it fire up and finally drive her after almost 2 years!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Engine and headers look absolutely mint! Just finished my motor rebuild last week, first start tomorrow all going well. Mine doesn't look nearly as clean as yours, even after the rebuild (I didn't even paint the block oops). Dropping the motor back in for the first time in forever is a very exciting process, congrats and good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X