Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuned! 332whp! My Engine Build - Cams, Airbox, LTW Flyhweel & more :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
    STAATS I must admit that I am 100% talking outside of my knowledge and largely appealing to an authority, but all of us on here are. And obviously FA protection is an exaggeration but the fundamental point is that under any significant load or RPM it will not provide the necessary lubrication these need. At what point does 'controlled' wear just become wrecking your fresh hone and putting premature wear on the bearings. Whether or not it was simplified for my sake, probably. But his credentials are unquestionable as he's built BMW engines for 30 years and has a direct line with BMW. He was commissioned by BMW in the early 2000's to develop tooling to service the Getrag 420G and is one of the few in the world who is able to rebuild them. Anyone else who is rebuilding them is likely doing so using his tools.

In addition to knowing him personally, it's hard to to argue. The impression I got when talking to him honestly, was that the process you follow is not that significant to the final outcome but synthetic is the safer bet.
    Yer I was never questioning your engine builders credentials... just saying his statement was OTT... But what digger says is also correct, he can be an expert in engine building... doesn't strictly mean he is an expert in lubrication... but I'm not really here to argue that either... again most of this stuff is superstition... there many many "correct" ways to run in an engine but basically any oil that can work in your given engine, run through a break-in process for ~1000km, will do some amount of seating the engine without destroying it... which is best is a source for discussion but without hard data like blow-by rates, cylinder pressures, oil temperatures and oil analysis we are all just pissing in the breeze at each other.
    Last edited by STAATS; 04-22-2021, 09:40 PM.

Comment

STAATS Sorry I didn't mean to imply you were questioning his credentials. Only that I trust his experience and that's what I'm basing everything off. I myself am not overly well versed in this as I'm sure it can be endlessly complex.

From the start I've maintained that regardless of what you read on the forums, you should probably just follow whatever your engine builder says.

Comment

digger I would be really curious to see a proper write up of engines built exactly the same but run in differently, would be really interesting if there was a measurable difference in them. Thanks for the reference to the total seal guys, I'll take a look.

With regards to experience, you are right in that just doing something for a long time does not mean you are knowledgeable. However, I would protest that building engines in a competitive environment and maintaining the reputation as probably the most knowledgeable and qualified in NZ to touch these engines/gearboxes/diffs would suggest otherwise. Not to mention at various points in time being contracted by BMW Motorsport to work on these. Not many people involved in BMW Motorsport in NZ don't know who Kayne Barrie is. For those reasons I have a hard time believing the recommendation to run the normal oil was unfounded and misinformed.

Comment

STAATS
          From the start I've maintained that regardless of what you read on the forums, you should probably just follow whatever your engine builder says.
          +1 this, 100% this. If you have had a professional build it then take their advice... other than the fact they should know more than you or what rando's like us say on forums, your very warranty is likely tied to following their run-in procedure and advice anyway. That was why I basically started out as the counterpoint you your 500km oil change idea as this isnt inline with what most engine builders or BMW themselves would recommend... obviously changing the oil more often cant hurt and I never disagreed with you there, but I more was trying to stem any kind of fear mongering your evidence was creating initially by discussing "shimmering" oil without oil analysis results.

Comment

digger I would be really curious to see a proper write up of engines built exactly the same but run in differently, would be really interesting if there was a measurable difference in them. Thanks for the reference to the total seal guys, I'll take a look.

With regards to experience, you are right in that just doing something for a long time does not mean you are knowledgeable. However, I would protest that building engines in a competitive environment and maintaining the reputation as probably the most knowledgeable and qualified in NZ to touch these engines/gearboxes/diffs would suggest otherwise. Not to mention at various points in time being contracted by BMW Motorsport to work on these. Not many people involved in BMW Motorsport in NZ don't know who Kayne Barrie is. For those reasons I have a hard time believing the recommendation to run the normal oil was unfounded and misinformed.
            Total seal YouTube has some videos, some are quite long but worth listening to. The main guys I mentioned above can search their names etc

Comment

After puting ~320km on the new motor, and several oil changes, I'm still seeing metal particulates in the oil pan (nothing is magnetic; it could be from the head?). It's becoming less and less with each change. However, I've been seen a few copper particles

I unraveled the last two genuine oil filters; I found 3 or 4 pieces of copper caught in the filters. Obviously the filter is doing it's job.

Ordered a brand new OE oil cooler + lines & high-pressure PS lines from the dealer last week. I thought about going to an aftermarket setup, however I simply couldn't be bothered dealing with something that doesn't quite fit. At least with genuine parts you know they fit first time every time.

Parts are ex-Germany; couple weeks transit.

Look forward to installing the new oil cooler + lines, and putting a few more km on the motor. Back to running Liqui Moly Race Tech GT1 10w-60!
              Last edited by Syfon; 05-05-2021, 06:48 AM.

Comment

New OE oil cooler + lines arrived earlier this week. Installed them last night and retapped the sump thread as I lunched it a while back.

Drove it a bit last night and to work this morning - it's driving like shit. Running rich as a pig too. Needs a Paul Claude tune asap!

Comment

Small update - I've covered almost 1,500km on the rebuilt motor; no major issues to report!

Multiple 1st-3rd redline pulls, clutch drops, etc., and zero issues!

I do have a vanos code I believe relates to the solenoid valve packs; I will remove the unit soon and clean/flush with brake cleaner & magnets.

Had a steering alignment recently; this cleared the asc/dsc lights associated with the steering angle sensor being out of whack.

Supersprint Race Section 3 also installed. Much quieter now; not barky and obnoxiously loud like it was before.

A tune is sorely needed as she runs like a pig below ~4k rpm. Otherwise all is good!

Comment

Covered over 3,000km since the build. No problems to report.

Tomorrow she's getting a remote tune courtesy of Paul Claude - can't wait to see how it goes and how much power she puts down!

Comment

PCS Tune happened today!

332whp, 365nm!

Completely changed the way it drives. From the mid-range it pulls like a freight train now!

Power curve is literally a straight line haha.

Will post a pic of the dyno graph for those interested.

Check out the vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3rH..._channel=Syfon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBP..._channel=Syfon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qmt..._channel=Syfon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvgV..._channel=Syfon

Last edited by Syfon; 09-24-2021, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Syfon View Post
                        PCS Tune happened today!

332whp & 365nm!

Completely changed the way it drives. From the mid-range it pulls like a freight train now!

Great news, must be very satisfying to cap off a long process. Post it up in the stickied dyno thread.
                        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

In for pics. Car looks fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Great news, must be very satisfying to cap off a long process. Post it up in the stickied dyno thread.
                            Yep. Hugely satisfying! Wiil do

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                            In for pics. Car looks fantastic!
                            I only took a couple pics of it on the dyno. Barney the Dinosaur looks right at home LOL
                            Attached Files

Comment

PCS Tune happened today!

332whp, 365nm!

Check out the vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3rH..._channel=Syfon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBP..._channel=Syfon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qmt..._channel=Syfon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvgV..._channel=Syfon

Congrats! Yes, please post the graph/mod description in the Official Dyno Thread!

Comment

I only took a couple pics of it on the dyno. Barney the Dinosaur looks right at home LOL
                                Barney the dynosaur. Car sounds awesome man.

Comment

Working...
                                X