Need help diagnosing problem after vanos update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sapote View Post

This is good news as you did not say this previously (it seemed you had to remove and install the hub again in order to retime the cam).
    Q: as you rotated the cam CCW, could you rotate it pass the bridge pin position -- further than where the pin can be inserted in)? If you cannot rotate the cam CCW passed the bridge pin then it means the piston had bottomed on the cap at the pinned position, which is correct.

Thanks for the all of your responses. I originally didn't realize that I could rotate the cam as it takes extremely forceful short rocking motions. And a lot of them. I didn't try to rotate it past where the pin could be inserted but I'm guessing that it wouldn't go as I can see the piston is bottomed on the cap.

Comment

Did you work on the EX cam sensor/wire? I don't think you touch the cam sensing wheel at the rear end.
      I checked the exhaust cam sensor by checking voltage as I turned the crank. It changed from 5 volts to 0 as the cam rotated so my understanding is it is working correctly. However, I tried checking the crankshaft sensor the same way and it never changed from 2.5 volts. Not sure if that is indicating a problem as the sensor is only a few months old and I put my old sensor back in which as far as I know was still good and it showed the same results.

Comment

Originally posted by boadly View Post

I'm guessing that it wouldn't go as I can see the piston is bottomed on the cap.
        How can you see the piston bottomed on the cap? Not a clear plastic cap.

Comment

How can you see the piston bottomed on the cap? Not a clear plastic cap.
          I pulled the cap off

Comment

If you cannot turn the cam CCW passed the bridge pin position, then mechanically nothing have changed since you bolted them up.

Yes, it's very hard to turn the cam with 24mm wrench, because the splines were made with shallow slope (angle) for easy to turn cams by pistons linear motion but not the other way around. It's normal.

Comment

I start to think you might have EX cam sensor reading issue even though it was timed correctly. But why as you only worked on the VANOS.

Comment

I start to think you might have EX cam sensor reading issue even though it was timed correctly. But why as you only worked on the VANOS.
                Wouldn't the voltage test I did be conclusive for the cam sensor? I did pull the cams so as to clean the rocker arm rods as I couldn't initially slide the rocker arms over to do my valve adjustment.

Comment

Wouldn't the voltage test I did be conclusive for the cam sensor? I did pull the cams so as to clean the rocker arm rods as I couldn't initially slide the rocker arms over to do my valve adjustment.
                  What voltage test? I didn't know that the cams were removed. Should let us know the whole thing at beginning so we have a full view of what had been done. Did you remove the cam sensing wheel?

You didn't answer about the piston bottomed on the cap -- how did you know?

Comment

Do this to confirm the EX cam timing: remove the piston cap, then turn the cam CCW until it passed the bridge pin position about 10 degrees, then install the cap and torque the bolts properly and this should push and turn the cam back to the bridge pin position. If yes then the timing has not changed since you last bolted everything together.

Comment

What voltage test? I didn't know that the cams were removed. Should let us know the whole thing at beginning so we have a full view of what had been done. Did you remove the cam sensing wheel?

You didn't answer about the piston bottomed on the cap -- how did you know?
                      The test I described in post 32. No, I didn't remove the cam sensing wheel.

Comment

Do this to confirm the EX cam timing: remove the piston cap, then turn the cam CCW until it passed the bridge pin position about 10 degrees, then install the cap and torque the bolts properly and this should push and turn the cam back to the bridge pin position. If yes then the timing has not changed since you last bolted everything together.
                        Not sure why this is necessary. As I've said I have correctly timed it multiple times, reinstalled the vanos correctly and then rechecked the timing after rotating the crank multiple times. It is always correctly timed when I bolt everything back up.

Comment

This might be a dumb thing to ask but is it possible the intake and exhaust cams are swapped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                            This might be a dumb thing to ask but is it possible the intake and exhaust cams are swapped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            No, I'm certain they are correct. You can see in the first photo in post 27. The intake has the thin line near the hole.

Comment

I pulled the cap off
                              With the cap off, you cannot tell the piston is bottomed to the cap. Lineup to the end of the cylinder is not the same as bottoms on the cap.

Comment

Do you have the shafts fitted to the correct cams?

Comment

Working...
                                X