No announcement yet.

Transmission Fluid (oil thread part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if it still exists as a part, but you can still order it for sure.

FCP has also never sold TWS or brembo BBK rotors (despite being a Brembo distributor and Audi (R8 V10 uses TWS) part seller)... sometimes they make choices not to carry things :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

BMW MTF-LT-2 also available on getBMWparts, more than $10 cheaper.
      2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

BMW MTF-LT-2 or Royal Purple Syncromax
        Last edited by chicane; 04-07-2020, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sina View Post
          You can buy both my bottles of Pentosin MTF-2 for $40 plus shipping. 😁

Feff
          MVP Track Time

Comment

Saw this posted on E46Fanatics:

I know it's Pentosin testing Pentosin fluids, but they came to an interesting conclusion contrary to what seems to be the general understanding. Any thoughts?
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
              Saw this posted on E46Fanatics:

I know it's Pentosin testing Pentosin fluids, but they came to an interesting conclusion contrary to what seems to be the general understanding. Any thoughts?
              I think when Pentosin made both fluids, they speced MTF2 for our cars.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I just looked at some old Febi Bilstien fluid I bought for like $15 for 2L and it's 75w-80 GL-5 MTF-2 LT2/3. I was under the impression GL5 is bad for our trans but it's certified

I did my research on MT90 and it is literally twice the viscosity than the Pentosin. So I think I am better off with my Febi fluid.
                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I’m getting ready to order. Do I need 2 or 3 L for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                    I was under the impression GL5 is bad for our trans
                    Same, until recently -- which puts me a few years behind the legit lube formulation experts I had been (claiming to be) listening to.

GL-5 fluids used to be more chemically aggressive toward copper-containing metals, like the brass in most synchros. This was because GL-5 requires high levels of EP (extreme pressure) additives, and those additives can be corrosive. These days, though, it's not uncommon for GL-5 gear oils to earn the highest scores in ASTM copper corrosion tests. For those oils, there's no need to worry about copper corrosion. At that point, the only potential problem is if it has the wrong kind and/or amount of friction modification chemistry, which can interfere with synchro operation. Thankfully, that's easily felt and little more than an annoyance until you swap the fluid out with something better.

Originally posted by 8000RPM View Post
                    I’m getting ready to order. Do I need 2 or 3 L for this?
                    2L. Though it never hurts to have an extra.
                    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

I just ordered MTF-LT2 from ECS and put it in my car. The bottles had a 2019 production date.
                      Last edited by sev; 07-24-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Interesting, I just got mine in the mail and they have a 2018 prod date.

Originally posted by sev View Post
                        I just ordered MTF-LT2 from ECS and put it in my car. The bottles had a 2019 production date.

Comment

Originally posted by sina View Post
                          Yea but is more expensive once shipped. I ordered from FCP and saved $5.

Comment

Just changed my trans fluid which had Redline MTF in it. After examining it and seeing nothing out of the ordinary, I put MTF back in it. I do have a lightweight flywheel and an idle raised to 850rpm but I have no gear chatter sitting still. Didn't really see any sparklea in the fluid and it came out almost like new. This is after 4 years and 21,000 miles. I also have an SMG so that probably factors into a bit. I could've used BMW fluid for free, but I still stick to the Redline. It works for my relationship with my tranny
                            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Sorry to bump a year old thread, but this seemed the most relevant to my question; what was the consensus trans fluid for street cars that see significant track time?

I’ve been running the Ravenol mft-2 75w80 for almost 10k miles with plenty of track days, no complaints or issues really but I’m considering the RedLine MT-LV for my upcoming maintenance flush. Bimmerworld has it as their recommended trans fluid for our cars and they say including cars that see track time. I didn’t see much or any mention of the newer MT-LV when searching here, so was curious if better suited for my dual duty car that mostly gets driven on track than street these days, if gives better protection etc.
                              2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
                              Instagram
                              Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by BigRussia View Post
                                Sorry to bump a year old thread, but this seemed the most relevant to my question; what was the consensus trans fluid for street cars that see significant track time?

I’ve been running the Ravenol mft-2 75w80 for almost 10k miles with plenty of track days, no complaints or issues really but I’m considering the RedLine MT-LV for my upcoming maintenance flush. Bimmerworld has it as their recommended trans fluid for our cars and they say including cars that see track time. I didn’t see much or any mention of the newer MT-LV when searching here, so was curious if better suited for my dual duty car that mostly gets driven on track than street these days, if gives better protection etc.
                                Ravenol seems to be a good substitute for stock since the stock fluid is not as readily available as it used to be (Pentosin packaging).

From reading other posts, Redline doesn't last as long and requires frequent changes. Frequent changes are not an issue for track or race use and a parts supplier can stock the rafters with the it as it costs less than the OE stuff (or equivalent).

Comment

Working...
                                X