CSL Airbox Rattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL Airbox Rattle?

I recently installed a Karbonius box and Karbonius snorkel on my car. At idle, there's a rattle coming from the airbox. If I press down lightly on the unfiltered section, the rattle stops. Initially I thought it was coming from the snorkel, but that seems to be well attached. Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea how to solve it? Foam tape maybe? Thanks!
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

It could be rattling on the pegs that locate the unfiltered section to the bottom of the filtered side. That or maybe the whole intake is not fully secured to the metal bracket underneath. Try taking off the unfiltered side and see where it is making contact. It is a pretty tight fit with the foam tape that Karbonius uses, so it should not rattle.

Comment

Have you checked to make sure all the lines that snap into the bottom of the box are secured?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Have you checked to make sure all the lines that snap into the bottom of the box are secured?
        Yup, I checked all bolts, clamps, and hoses.

​​​​​
        Originally posted by Slideways View Post
        It could be rattling on the pegs that locate the unfiltered section to the bottom of the filtered side.
        Looks like this is exactly what it is. Thanks! Just took this video showing the issue:

I think I'll try wrapping the pegs with some sort of rubber hose/heat shrink tubing. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

I think heat shrink is a great idea and easy to do.
          '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Just did the heat shrink around the pegs. Had to do a double layer to get the unfiltered section to fit snuggly. I'm not too confident that the heat shrink will stay on the pegs next time I remove the unfiltered section, but I'll deal with that later. Regardless, rattle is gone!

This is how it turned out:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20200405_140837.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	6949

Comment

Well that didn't even last one drive lol. Heat shrink slipped off all the pegs. I'll try some of that heat shrink with glue next.

Comment

One of those fiddly little things that takes more effort than you'd ever imagine. Heat shrink slipped off by itself or just when you removed the section to inspect?
                '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                  One of those fiddly little things that takes more effort than you'd ever imagine. Heat shrink slipped off by itself or just when you removed the section to inspect?
                  I went for a drive and when I came back the heat shrink had slipped off. I didn't take anything off to inspect, just took a look through the opening.

​​​I plan on scuffing up the pegs with a bit of sandpaper to allow the heat shrink with glue inside to grip them better. Hopefully this will be enough to have them it come off again.

Comment

Good times. If you don't want to go searching for glue heat shrink - normal heat shrink on, cool & remove, dab of superglue, back.

Comment

I'm thinking best bet is a light coating of some strong RTV or polyurethane adhesive on the pegs.

Comment

I ended up making some foam inserts for the unfiltered section. We'll see how long these last.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200405_205321.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.1 KB ID:	7109

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200405_205543.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.1 KB ID:	7110
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20200405_210637.jpg Views:	0 Size:	260.5 KB ID:	7111

Comment

These things are so pretty
                          385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
                          -CSL airbox ( custom)
                          -280 272 Cat cams
                          -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
                          -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
                          -TMS pullies
                          -Electric Fan
                          -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

Originally posted by HassanEido View Post
                            These things are so pretty
                            They really are. It felt so wrong to install it in an engine bay where it can get dirty.

Comment

Decided the foam inserts probably weren't going to last so I put in some glue heat shrink.

Notched the posts a bit first to give the heat shrink something to grab onto:

Name:	20200410_184741.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	9505​​​​​​
                              Then added the first layer:

Name:	20200410_185039.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	9506

And then the second one. Decided to have it go past the end of the post so the unfiltered section wouldn't catch on the edge of the heat shrink.

Name:	20200410_185313.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	9507

Doubt this will come off anytime soon. Here's a picture with the unfiltered section on:

Name:	20200410_190044.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	9508

No more rattle!

Comment

Working...
                              X