Fuel Pump replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sapote View Post
    Since these pumps are not cheap, maybe I will look into replace the pump motor brushes that worn and caused the problem.
    I would not waste time doing that. Brushes are only one small subset of the reasons for a failed pump. Taken a few apart.
    True pumps aren't the least expensive working component on the car but they do work the whole time engine is running and Very important. It’s worth buying an OE pump (if it’s actually failed). Most likely the last one you’ll ever buy for your car. And M’s cost to own.
    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I don't have an issue, but curious, what other failure modes have you seen? Most DC motors are 1. brushes 2. commutators (usually due to brushes let go too long 3. bearings.

ADS
      Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
      I would not waste time doing that. Brushes are only one small subset of the reasons for a failed pump. Taken a few apart.
      True pumps aren't the least expensive working component on the car but they do work the whole time engine is running and Very important. It’s worth buying an OE pump (if it’s actually failed). Most likely the last one you’ll ever buy for your car. And M’s cost to own.

Comment

Cheapest OEM I found, $366
        RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.
        2002 M3 | 1986 R80 | 2001 EuroVan

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
          I'm interested of what you found after opened up a few bad ones. It seems to me the parts that worn from running all the time are brushes, commutator, bearings, as another member said. It's hard for the one-way check valve to be the weak link in the pump. These pumps are not $100 or less, so for me fixing a motor is worth it.

Comment

Anyone try the Hella pump that Bimmerworld sells?

Replacement fuel pump to restore proper fuel system operation. Replaces BMW part #16142229684.

It's only $100

Comment

I run the radium kit with the walbro 255, done it on a previous e46m and my current. I believe they are great, and pumps are cheap if you need to replace. ~$70

Comment

Originally posted by Randall921 View Post
                Anyone try the Hella pump that Bimmerworld sells?

Replacement fuel pump to restore proper fuel system operation. Replaces BMW part #16142229684.

It's only $100
                if bimmerworld sells it then im sure it’s legit. Comes with a 2 year warranty at $99. I would try that one.

Comment

Is Delphi the OE?

Comment

Originally posted by jdamore44 View Post
                    Is Delphi the OE?
                    VDO should be OE

Comment

Originally posted by jdamore44 View Post
                      Is Delphi the OE?
                      As memtioned, it’s VDO.
                      6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
                        As memtioned, it’s VDO.
                        Thank you, looks like you can't find a VDO version, so BMW stamped it is :/ ugh $450.00 is steeep.

Comment

You know the platform is old when you can't get non BMW stamped injectors and fuel pumps anymore. But hey at least we have 10,000 CSL trunk and bumper options instead

Comment

Originally posted by E46 M3 View Post
                            You know the platform is old when you can't get non BMW stamped injectors and fuel pumps anymore. But hey at least we have 10,000 CSL trunk and bumper options instead
                            Don’t recall ever being able to buy direct VDO branded fuel pump for the M3. The E46 non-Ms yes, but not the FP. Same BMW exclusivity as OE supplier for M3 water pumps.

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
                              Don’t recall ever being able to buy direct VDO branded fuel pump for the M3. The E46 non-Ms yes, but not the FP. Same BMW exclusivity as OE supplier for M3 water pumps.
                              You could a few years ago, I still have the links somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by E46 M3 View Post
                                You could a few years ago, I still have the links somewhere.
                                I am very curious to see those. Can’t imagine it’s a AUS thing. Since 2013 all my records show only OE “VDO”was from dealer. Prices then were my dealership $325 w/discount. Next lowest was TheBMWPartStore @$283 and BMWPartsSource@$284.​

Comment

Working...
                                X