Navigation Screen Replacement - Recommendations and Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navigation Screen Replacement - Recommendations and Experiences

Looking to get my screen replaced, has anyone used ether of these two companies?

Any good? Any others out there I should look at?
    2005 ZCP SMG ///M3

If you're a DIY'er, you can purchase just the LCD and swap it yourself for not much money. It's a SHARP LQ065T9BR54U.

You can google around, lots of how-tos, doesn't look extremely difficult to do.
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
    Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
      If you're a DIY'er, you can purchase just the LCD and swap it yourself for not much money. It's a SHARP LQ065T9BR54U.

You can google around, lots of how-tos, doesn't look extremely difficult to do.
      Thanks, I was a bit worried reading others attempts about aligning the screen once installed. Apparently there are adjustment screws to center it and they are only accessible using a benchtop unit to power the screen (from what I've read). Here's a vid showing the screws:

2005 ZCP SMG ///M3

Comment

I first used carphonics in the UK for my e46 replacement. This was summer 2018. He fixed a couple other buttons, too, like Eject which wasn't working. Great service.

A few months ago I used Bavtech for both nav screen and LCD gauge cluster replacement. With COVID, shipping a package internationally seemed not to be with problems. Also great service.
        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by Will ZCPM3 View Post

Thanks, I was a bit worried reading others attempts about aligning the screen once installed. Apparently there are adjustment screws to center it and they are only accessible using a benchtop unit to power the screen (from what I've read). Here's a vid showing the screws:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVpdK3kj..._web_copy_link
          I’ve replaced 4 LCD’s in my cars and a couple of my friends cars all using these Ebay LCD’s (bought from various sellers over the years and they all appear to be the same)
          I have never had to adjust any of the screws - they have always been correctly set.
          I suspect that people who have had to adjust them either had the incorrect screen for their car or fitted the ribbon cables incorrectly (probably the hardest part).
          They oldest I’ve done is going on 7 years old and is still perfect.
          I agree with Liam821, if you’re a competent DIY’er do it yourself.

Comment

GermanAudioTech is rubbish. I had them replace my display but they did not adjust and refused to fix! So much for their “lifetime warranty”. The display they use appears to be very cheap too unfortunately, I will need to find another company to do the job properly with a quality display.

Comment

I would recommend against diy in this particular case. I'd consider myself a decent diy'er since ive done everything at home. I was following the various diys online but they all were all different from my particular nav system for some reason. Basically there were additional cables that were not accounted for. I ended up breaking a thin cable which was brittle from 15 yrs of use. Got an AVIN system to replace which im happy with. If you want oem i'd recommend the pros take care of this one

Comment

OP what did you end up doing? I have several dead pixels on mine as well and I need a new screen. Looks like a lot of people on E46fanatics said to leave it to the pros with experience.
                2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
                  OP what did you end up doing? I have several dead pixels on mine as well and I need a new screen. Looks like a lot of people on E46fanatics said to leave it to the pros with experience.
                  Nothing yet, still need to tackle this at some point.
                  2005 ZCP SMG ///M3

Comment

When I had this problem I went for Dynavin. That was 2012 or so, and even then repairing the LCD vs upgrading everything (from circa ‘01 tech) seemed the smart move. Of course, LCDs were like $900 back then so the analysis was much clearer. But now I think it’s the same. Sure LCDs are a lot cheaper (although the time is not), but the Dynavin N7 pro is a lot better than the D99 was in ‘12.

I just don’t think it makes sense to repair the display on 15+ year old tech. If you touch it at all you may as well upgrade the whole lot.

If the Dynavin is $700 and the screen is $350, then for that extra $350 you get newer tech that works with your phone today, plus you lose weighted components in the boot that you can sell to recoup some of that $350.

$.02

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                      When I had this problem I went for Dynavin. That was 2012 or so, and even then repairing the LCD vs upgrading everything (from circa ‘01 tech) seemed the smart move. Of course, LCDs were like $900 back then so the analysis was much clearer. But now I think it’s the same. Sure LCDs are a lot cheaper (although the time is not), but the Dynavin N7 pro is a lot better than the D99 was in ‘12.

I just don’t think it makes sense to repair the display on 15+ year old tech. If you touch it at all you may as well upgrade the whole lot.

If the Dynavin is $700 and the screen is $350, then for that extra $350 you get newer tech that works with your phone today, plus you lose weighted components in the boot that you can sell to recoup some of that $350.

$.02

maw

All your points are valid from a functionality standpoint. For me personally, I want the OEM look as I hardly drive the car.
                      2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                      2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                      2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Same here. I don’t notice the difference TBH, from stock to D99 to N7. They all look and feel the same to me (minus the pixelated screen and antiquated functionality). It’s not like a Sony sitting in the dash. It just works easier, kids can take over the stereo easier, it has better sound, sub outs, EQ, etc., the nav is up to date and does no violence to the interior look. But your car, your experience. I was just sharing mine.

I don’t mind modern electronics in “collector” vehicles, of which I have a few including this one. And I don’t think the “market” will mind either. In some places newer actually is better. No one is raving about the antiquated stereos as a reason these cars are great.

maw

PS. The new ones do say “Dynavin” on the front whereas I don’t recall that being there before.
                        Last edited by maw1124; 11-21-2021, 09:58 AM.

Comment

If anyone needs it - I have a nav unit with a screen that was recently replaced sitting in my garage. I replaced it with an Avin some time back.

Comment

This is the screen I purchased and it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by killa_e46 View Post
                              This is the screen I purchased and it works great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163607824212
                              Do you think the new screen is brighter and/or has less backlight bleed? It looks a bit better from the photo but hard to tell from photos in possibly different lighting situations.

Comment

Working...
                              X