Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What projects would you trackle in quarantine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

Really? Why is that?
    My 997 has one that is aging quite poorly. It just looks off and I can't wait to take it off. The line across the hood and fenders is also very noticeable and quite ugly. Some of the newer ones that cover the entire panel look much better, but for the cost of them, might as well just have the front end resprayed from time to time as bare paint always looks the best.

Comment

Decided to tack on a Beisan vanos lockdown with Lang racing bolts for my list of to-dos during this time. Everything should be arriving sometime this week.
      2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Really? Why is that?
        See above, but... 4 days of misery to remove it, and that' when I gave up-- not finished the job.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

See above, but... 4 days of misery to remove it, and that' when I gave up-- not finished the job.
          What method did you use to get it off? I know when they get really dry they just crack but I thought typical removal included steam to help heat up the glue and moisturize the material.
          2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post

What method did you use to get it off? I know when they get really dry they just crack but I thought typical removal included steam to help heat up the glue and moisturize the material.
            I tried all the methods

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post

I'm planning to use my steamer when I pull mine. Hopefully it'll come off cleanly. I was able to pull window tint in minutes using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Ugh, yuck

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I'm planning to use my steamer when I pull mine. Hopefully it'll come off cleanly. I was able to pull window tint in minutes using it.
                I pulled off my tint with a heat gun which worked okay once I finally figured out the amount of heat to use. To remove the glue/film/nasty on the glass I used steel wool 000 and Windex which worked great. Still, it wasn't easy to do the rear window since there is so little space back there.
                E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Ugh, yuck

I pulled off my tint with a heat gun which worked okay once I finally figured out the amount of heat to use. To remove the glue/film/nasty on the glass I used steel wool 000 and Windex which worked great. Still, it wasn't easy to do the rear window since there is so little space back there.
                  I luckily had very little glue left over. A microfiber with some stoners tarminator took care of it without much drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I luckily had very little glue left over. A microfiber with some stoners tarminator took care of it without much drama.
                    Lucky you... this was the state of my rear window after the tint was removed (look at the lights) - the whole rear window was like that.
                    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Lucky you... this was the state of my rear window after the tint was removed (look at the lights) - the whole rear window was like that.
                      [img]tint glue.jpg[/img]
                      I did this pre-quarantine, hated every second of 6+ hours that it took me.. Used acetone and alot of clean rags since they get gunked up by residue.

Comment

Tint is a LOT easier to remove than clear bra-- largely because glass is so much harder to damage than paint.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                        X