Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple misfire error

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Multiple misfire error

    So after my car sitting for a few months and a full Beisan Vanos rebuild, valve adjustment as well as new spark plugs I started it up.

    Unfortunately I am unable to drive it as there is too much snow but after idling for a minute or two I shut the car off and read error codes, there were no codes present before I stared the car.

    I had a multiple misfire on all 6 cylinders. I cleared the codes, started the car and again let it idle for a minute or two. The error codes were gone at this point.

    Not sure what to make of that.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210221_193224.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	86376 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210221_193248.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	86377 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210221_193243.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	86378 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210221_193236.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	86379




    2004 6MT Silbergrau Metallic
    Karbonius /OEM Snorkel /Flap /Kassel CSL DME
    Ssv1 /Catted Sec. 1 /SCZA

    AS SSK / BC Coilovers / 4.10 Gears
    OE CSL Trunk /RACP Plates /Carbon Wheel/ Orion Halos /AVIN/Beisan

    #2
    Any symptoms? Did you run the vanos adaptations yet?
    Check all the electrical plugs? (vanos, maf, O2, etc)
    Last edited by Icecream; 02-21-2021, 06:19 PM.

    Comment


      #3
      All plug connections are good, I did NOT reset adaptations before starting the car. I did reset adaptations after I cleared the misfire errors and then started it the 2nd time and no errors were present.

      Edit: Also the first time the car ran a bit rough, although it's been sitting in a cold garage for months. When I first started the idle RPM was at about 1100, the 2nd start the engine smoothed out and idle was around 950, I figured this was simply running closed loop vs. open loop on first startup as the engine had dropped 2 warm up lights during first idle sequence.
      Last edited by Cubieman; 02-21-2021, 06:23 PM.
      2004 6MT Silbergrau Metallic
      Karbonius /OEM Snorkel /Flap /Kassel CSL DME
      Ssv1 /Catted Sec. 1 /SCZA

      AS SSK / BC Coilovers / 4.10 Gears
      OE CSL Trunk /RACP Plates /Carbon Wheel/ Orion Halos /AVIN/Beisan

      Comment


        #4
        It’s just mad at you for not driving it. 😉
        TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
        Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - Orion V4's
        Evolve Eventuri
        - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

        Comment


          #5
          This is normal after the vanos has been removed from the car and cleared of oil. There is air in the vanos system once it is opened and in the first few seconds after the first startup this results in rough running/misfires. Once oil pressure has built up and the system has vented the idle will stabilize.

          You should still run a vanos test (after first drive and when car is warmed up) to verify full vanos function.
          SF Bay Area Vanos, Rod Bearings, Inspection II, etc. Services : Member Feedback
          E46 M3 Track Videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/DanAvon

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by DanAvoN7 View Post
            This is normal after the vanos has been removed from the car and cleared of oil. There is air in the vanos system once it is opened and in the first few seconds after the first startup this results in rough running/misfires. Once oil pressure has built up and the system has vented the idle will stabilize.

            You should still run a vanos test (after first drive and when car is warmed up) to verify full vanos function.
            Glad to hear. TIS did say to expect a "rattling" sound for a few seconds after vanos install while oil pressure builds and vents just as you say.
            I didn't really hear a rattling sound but just rough idle for about 15 seconds, likely when the misfires occurred.

            I won't be able to drive the car for a little bit as there is too much snow. I really want to run DIS and do the vanos test but just hate letting it sit there and idle up to temp after not running for about 3 months.

            Should I drive this thing around before a vanos test or is that necessary?

            Edit: re-read your post, vanos test after driving, not idling.
            2004 6MT Silbergrau Metallic
            Karbonius /OEM Snorkel /Flap /Kassel CSL DME
            Ssv1 /Catted Sec. 1 /SCZA

            AS SSK / BC Coilovers / 4.10 Gears
            OE CSL Trunk /RACP Plates /Carbon Wheel/ Orion Halos /AVIN/Beisan

            Comment


              #7
              Did you plug in your vanos solenoid? Recently did some work on my car and forgot to plug mine in. Sounded like a cammed ls upon startup lol.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - PCS Tune - AFD E85 - Beisan - AutoSolutions - Vibra-Technics - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal - Instagram

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                Did you plug in your vanos solenoid? Recently did some work on my car and forgot to plug mine in. Sounded like a cammed ls upon startup lol.
                I made sure everything was plugged in, especially after all my issues with this vanos rebuild
                I was very nervous to even start the car and put it off for a while.
                I will be so happy if my vanos test yields acceptable results, I can just put this behind me as a learning experience.

                Assuming everything I did with the vanos is OK, the only thing I did wrong was to not gap the new spark plugs.
                2004 6MT Silbergrau Metallic
                Karbonius /OEM Snorkel /Flap /Kassel CSL DME
                Ssv1 /Catted Sec. 1 /SCZA

                AS SSK / BC Coilovers / 4.10 Gears
                OE CSL Trunk /RACP Plates /Carbon Wheel/ Orion Halos /AVIN/Beisan

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                  Assuming everything I did with the vanos is OK, the only thing I did wrong was to not gap the new spark plugs.
                  Eh, if you bought the correct NGK plugs then they come pre-gapped. Sure, the gap can get messed up in transit, but I've never gapped mine and it's been totally fine. I wouldn't worry about it.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - PCS Tune - AFD E85 - Beisan - AutoSolutions - Vibra-Technics - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal - Instagram

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                    Did you plug in your vanos solenoid? Recently did some work on my car and forgot to plug mine in. Sounded like a cammed ls upon startup lol.
                    haha, that's what I did too.

                    OP, I actually think the vanos adaptation needs to be done while driving. At least mine did.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Icecream View Post

                      haha, that's what I did too.

                      OP, I actually think the vanos adaptation needs to be done while driving. At least mine did.
                      So you drove for a bit then pulled over and reset? I hope you don't mean while the vehicle is in motion, right?
                      Probably just use Martyn's tool for this since it's so easy to get running quickly.
                      2004 6MT Silbergrau Metallic
                      Karbonius /OEM Snorkel /Flap /Kassel CSL DME
                      Ssv1 /Catted Sec. 1 /SCZA

                      AS SSK / BC Coilovers / 4.10 Gears
                      OE CSL Trunk /RACP Plates /Carbon Wheel/ Orion Halos /AVIN/Beisan

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

                        So you drove for a bit then pulled over and reset? I hope you don't mean while the vehicle is in motion, right?
                        Probably just use Martyn's tool for this since it's so easy to get running quickly.
                        I popped DIS open, and I believe it said to drive, so I did (while it was running) and after a short drive and coming to a stop at a light it said adapted, otherwise it was not adapting.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Icecream View Post

                          I popped DIS open, and I believe it said to drive, so I did (while it was running) and after a short drive and coming to a stop at a light it said adapted, otherwise it was not adapting.
                          Interesting, I just need all of this snow to melt to drive it now.
                          I know how to perfrom the vanos test on DIS, but haven't reset adaptations ever with that software. Do you happen to remember if it was a vanos specific reset or reseting of all adaptations?
                          2004 6MT Silbergrau Metallic
                          Karbonius /OEM Snorkel /Flap /Kassel CSL DME
                          Ssv1 /Catted Sec. 1 /SCZA

                          AS SSK / BC Coilovers / 4.10 Gears
                          OE CSL Trunk /RACP Plates /Carbon Wheel/ Orion Halos /AVIN/Beisan

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

                            Interesting, I just need all of this snow to melt to drive it now.
                            I know how to perfrom the vanos test on DIS, but haven't reset adaptations ever with that software. Do you happen to remember if it was a vanos specific reset or reseting of all adaptations?
                            Vanos specific. Once you get the fister protocol up there are directions right on the screen.
                            [E46] - How-to guide: VANOS test/adaption using DIS | The M3cutters

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Icecream View Post

                              Vanos specific. Once you get the fister protocol up there are directions right on the screen.
                              [E46] - How-to guide: VANOS test/adaption using DIS | The M3cutters
                              Thanks, I have run the vanos test (previous to Beisan stuff) in DIS so I would have to assume that it's already running the fister profile as those screenshots look identical. I've got the pss-autosoft setup from and have only used it the one time for a vanos test just to see if I could make it work, still learning the ropes.

                              Thanks for the help, my nerves are killing me, want to drive this thing.

                              Would simply letting it idle and running a vanos test be something to even consider?
                              2004 6MT Silbergrau Metallic
                              Karbonius /OEM Snorkel /Flap /Kassel CSL DME
                              Ssv1 /Catted Sec. 1 /SCZA

                              AS SSK / BC Coilovers / 4.10 Gears
                              OE CSL Trunk /RACP Plates /Carbon Wheel/ Orion Halos /AVIN/Beisan

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X