Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some people prefer the broomstick E46 M3 shift knob over the ZHP shift knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
    It's slightly off. Like you'd have to stare at it for a long time in the dark to notice the difference lol
    Yes Agreed.
    If that bothered someone wonder how they feel about the tiny red LED ambient lights that shine down from roof map light panel.
    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
      Yes Agreed.
      If that bothered someone wonder how they feel about the tiny red LED ambient lights that shine down from roof map light panel.
      They're not red, but they are awesome.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Ok so last night I wanted to see if color was “off”. Took two pictures and it being Genuine BMW seems like a match one would expect.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	07EA64FE-2DCF-4045-8309-6A3B4D9370DD.jpeg
Views:	529
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	88437
        6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

25117896884. Same as stock, except for being weighted and not coming with the boot.
          Best of both worlds! Just no illum. Weighted slightly more than ZHP as well. From memory, it's like 5.5oz vs. 6.3 or something like that. No stupid satin ring, stock height and look.

Does the illumination help you remember where the gears are?
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I went with the weighted, non illuminated broomstick. I still have good enough memory to not need an illuminated pattern 😁

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0647.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	88463

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Best of both worlds! Just no illum. Weighted slightly more than ZHP as well. From memory, it's like 5.5oz vs. 6.3 or something like that. No stupid satin ring, stock height and look.

Does the illumination help you remember where the gears are?
              I think the illumination is a nice touch. Do I need to remember where the gears are? No. But to me it is a nice touch and call back to the original design.
              2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Can't argue with you.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Also weighted knobs makes it easier to mishit.

love my "broomstick" knob.

it make it easier to rest your hand on the arm-console and shift as well.

Comment

Seems like it’s really just a preference item haha

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                      It's the correct height to properly position the knob for my seating position, I prefer the look, and I don't like the feel of the ring. I also like that it's illuminated, in the correct color (unlike the F10 knob, which is the wrong color).

Throw distance should be considered separately from knob choice, IMO-- a shorter knob is a half assed way to shorten throws. That said, even though I currently have 20% shorter than stock throws, next time I have the trans out for something I'll be going to a 0% reduction AS SSK. I've realized I prefer stock throw lengths-- it doesn't make me actually shift measurably faster, and the stock length drastically reduces any doubt as to what gear you're in just by holding the knob.

I'm on my 3rd broom stick, because the leather does wear out. FCP's problem next time I need one.
                      He already said everything I wanted to say, so I'll just quote it. Broomstick FTW. Also of note: when my elbow is on the arm rest, my hand perfectly touches the shift knob - oh and I already have SSK installed.
                      I'm as confused as you are.
                      M3BC, #18
                      Club 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by LeopardM3 View Post

He already said everything I wanted to say, so I'll just quote it. Broomstick FTW. Also of note: when my elbow is on the arm rest, my hand perfectly touches the shift knob - oh and I already have SSK installed.
                        I felt like when I had my arm rest, I was constantly hitting my elbow on it when going to 2/4/6. Maybe since I did the new shift knob and arm rest delete at the same time I didn’t notice?

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Was wondering which people can’t reach the shift knob unless it’s super tall. Then I noticed my neighbor..

😜
                          gooseneck knob is now the “T-Rex knob”??

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                            Was wondering which people can’t reach the shift knob unless it’s super tall. Then I noticed my neighbor..

😜
                            gooseneck knob is now the “T-Rex knob”??
                            I suspect that, if there’s a physical correlation, it’s people that are tall that would like the higher knob.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I suspect that, if there’s a physical correlation, it’s people that are tall that would like the higher knob.
                              I'm 6' so not tall but certainly not short.

Sent from Tapatalk on Samsung Galaxy

I'm as confused as you are.
                              M3BC, #18
                              Club 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by LeopardM3 View Post
                                I'm 6' so not tall but certainly not short.

Sent from Tapatalk on Samsung Galaxy
                                Yeah, solidly average.

I say taller people would prefer it because they're inherently higher up.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X