Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some people prefer the broomstick E46 M3 shift knob over the ZHP shift knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do some people prefer the broomstick E46 M3 shift knob over the ZHP shift knob

I have always ran the ZHP shift knob or the f10 shift knob which is just another variant of it.

I've noticed a lot of people prefer or run the stock shift knob which I call the broomstick. It's taller.

Anytime somebody posts a used broomstick shift knob, it gets snatched up pretty quickly and I'm curious why it's such in high demand versus the sportier shorter shift knob that pretty much comes in all manual transmission M cars these days.

Do people prefer the look of the taller one or do they prefer the fact that it's taller and easier to grab or both?
    Last edited by nextelbuddy; 02-28-2021, 05:07 PM.

I run an e60 short shifter with the "broomstick" because with the ZHP it's just too short IMHO.
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
    Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

Ive had the oem broomstick for awhile now and recently changed to zhp/f10. The difference is noticeable and i love the upgrade, but unless i go full SSK, this upgrade only feels oem+ at best. So the "original" is still attractive for those wanting to keep things stock

Comment

I imagine the original "gooseneck" (decades old name for it) may also get snatched up is because it's lighted. There are several very popular threads to convert the stubby ZHP knob to lighted using the lights from the stock one.

I, like you have the F10 M5 knob which is lighted, weighted, and not overly tall.
        Last edited by old///MFanatic; 03-05-2021, 09:48 AM.
        6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

your hands have less distance to travel from the wheel, letting you initiate your shifts sooner. the obvious drawback being that your shifts are slightly longer due to the throw. The ZHP knob is probably best for straight line performance, but if you're in the type of situation where you're putting in steering input and changing gears at the same time, I'd prefer the broomstick
          2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

They have small hands. Lol just kidding. Some people just enjoy the feel more. One thing that I didn’t like when I switched to the F10 m5 knob is it felt slightly off, like it is turned slightly more counter clockwise maybe only 1-3° but it seemed like the angle of going from 2-3 felt different. Maybe it’s just me. But both are great imo. ZHP looks better tho.

Comment

Simply a matter of driving position and the way my arm sits. I greatly prefer the longer handle.
              E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

The stock broomstick is a tad too short IMO. ZHP looks good but would make it worse.
                2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
                Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
                Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
                Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
                Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
                Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

better leverage and more ergonomic, IMO

Comment

I have a 45% reduction AS SSK.

With the F10 knob I literally did not know if I was in neutral or not.

With a stock E9X M3 knob (better illumination, less prone to delam because it has LEDs) I can find all my gears and it's not super low.
                    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 BMW ///M3
                    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I ran a ZHP knob with a 330d shifter and it was great. Then I got an AutoSolutions SSK and shifting felt terrible. Was super notchy and crunchy. Switched to the weighted broomstick knob for the added leverage and the feel improved substantially.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                        Switched to the weighted broomstick knob for the added leverage and the feel improved substantially.
                        Is there another gooseneck knob that’s weighted now? Stock “gooseneck” is not weighted like the ZHP or F10 M5 knob.
                        6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I prefer the zhp knob with stock everything. I like the short and thicker dimension

after my AS ssk i needed the stock knob for more precise shifting. It got way too notchy with the zhp knob

Comment

It's the correct height to properly position the knob for my seating position, I prefer the look, and I don't like the feel of the ring. I also like that it's illuminated, in the correct color (unlike the F10 knob, which is the wrong color).

Throw distance should be considered separately from knob choice, IMO-- a shorter knob is a half assed way to shorten throws. That said, even though I currently have 20% shorter than stock throws, next time I have the trans out for something I'll be going to a 0% reduction AS SSK. I've realized I prefer stock throw lengths-- it doesn't make me actually shift measurably faster, and the stock length drastically reduces any doubt as to what gear you're in just by holding the knob.

I'm on my 3rd broom stick, because the leather does wear out. FCP's problem next time I need one.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I had a ZHP shift knob paired with an E60 shift lever..sold the shift knob within a week. ZHP made shifting a terrible experience, and stock just felt better. The other car received a new broomstick and 20% AS SSK. I love it.

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                              It's the correct height to properly position the knob for my seating position, I prefer the look, and I don't like the feel of the ring. I also like that it's illuminated, in the correct color (unlike the F10 knob, which is the wrong color).
                              Are the M stripes on yours the wrong color? Bought mine new less than a month ago, and the M stripes are the current gen colors, which is disappointing. The leather also feels cheap for some reason. Can’t speak for the illumination color yet bc I can’t figure out what the PN is for the plug/connector (manuel swap).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC389E2F-11BB-4EDB-A394-3242481DF3B9.jpeg
Views:	1288
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	87987
                              Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                              Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X