Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some people prefer the broomstick E46 M3 shift knob over the ZHP shift knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E60 545i shifter + F10 illuminated knob + oem boot looks/feels so nice imo. But i guess if you have a SSK then a stock boot+knob is perfectly fine since the sloppiness is gone
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1676(2).jpg
Views:	508
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	87991
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
      I had a ZHP shift knob paired with an E60 shift lever..sold the shift knob within a week. ZHP made shifting a terrible experience, and stock just felt better. The other car received a new broomstick and 20% AS SSK. I love it.

Are the M stripes on yours the wrong color? Bought mine new less than a month ago, and the M stripes are the current gen colors, which is disappointing. The leather also feels cheap for some reason. Can’t speak for the illumination color yet bc I can’t figure out what the PN is for the plug/connector (manuel swap).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC389E2F-11BB-4EDB-A394-3242481DF3B9.jpeg
Views:	1298
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	87987
      I mean it's not a 20 year old shift knob, that's relatively new so yea the M stripes are off. Color wise, it's very close. It's not as orange as the stock ones are.
      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 BMW ///M3
      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
        It's the correct height to properly position the knob for my seating position, I prefer the look, and I don't like the feel of the ring. I also like that it's illuminated, in the correct color (unlike the F10 knob, which is the wrong color).

Throw distance should be considered separately from knob choice, IMO-- a shorter knob is a half assed way to shorten throws. That said, even though I currently have 20% shorter than stock throws, next time I have the trans out for something I'll be going to a 0% reduction AS SSK. I've realized I prefer stock throw lengths-- it doesn't make me actually shift measurably faster, and the stock length drastically reduces any doubt as to what gear you're in just by holding the knob.

I'm on my 3rd broom stick, because the leather does wear out. FCP's problem next time I need one.
        are you talking about the color of the leather being slightly different? or the M stripes?

I had a ZHP shift knob paired with an E60 shift lever..sold the shift knob within a week. ZHP made shifting a terrible experience, and stock just felt better. The other car received a new broomstick and 20% AS SSK. I love it.

Are the M stripes on yours the wrong color? Bought mine new less than a month ago, and the M stripes are the current gen colors, which is disappointing. The leather also feels cheap for some reason. Can’t speak for the illumination color yet bc I can’t figure out what the PN is for the plug/connector (Manual swap).

Click image for larger version  Name:	DC389E2F-11BB-4EDB-A394-3242481DF3B9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	125.8 KB ID:	87987
        which Knob/boot is this one? e46 m3 or e9x m3?

Comment

That's an E46 M3 knob. But it was probably made within the last 5 years so it has all of the EX M3 shift knob's quirks.
          2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

are you talking about the color of the leather being slightly different? or the M stripes?
            Illumination.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Illumination.
              It's slightly off. Like you'd have to stare at it for a long time in the dark to notice the difference lol
              2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                Is there another gooseneck knob that’s weighted now? Stock “gooseneck” is not weighted like the ZHP or F10 M5 knob.
                25117896884. Same as stock, except for being weighted and not coming with the boot.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

25117896884. Same as stock, except for being weighted and not coming with the boot.
                  You forgot it's not illuminated.

That matters to some folk.
                  2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

Yeah that too
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I went with this option for the Z4M, sometimes I miss the illumination, but I can live without it. besides, for some reason, on my Z4M it was more red than orange, and it was not a match to the IP orange.

Comment

Are the M stripes on yours the wrong color? Bought mine new less than a month ago, and the M stripes are the current gen colors, which is disappointing. The leather also feels cheap for some reason. Can’t speak for the illumination color yet bc I can’t figure out what the PN is for the plug/connector (manuel swap).
                        Just curious, where did you purchase it from?

Comment

It's slightly off. Like you'd have to stare at it for a long time in the dark to notice the difference lol
                          I don't agree. The F10 illumination is waaaayyy off in color.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Stock for me because the last thing I need is less leverage with my AS 30% kit. Looks can be debated but it’s very functional and a quick short reach away from the steering wheel.

Comment

It's been a while since I've had that piece but I'm not sure anymore.

The E9X M3 shift knob lights up perfect.
                              2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Thats interesting. Ive had it for a few weeks now but never noticed the color to be any different. Maybe slightly more orange but i would have to be looking for it

Comment

Working...
                                X