Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some people prefer the broomstick E46 M3 shift knob over the ZHP shift knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the stock knob and I like original knobs that have worn, to indicate being driven. That said, I would buy a new broomstick if they weren't $400+. EDIT--$500!!!
    Last edited by PSUEng; 02-13-2023, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I personally like the broomstick because it's closer to the wheel so you can shift quickly and get your hand back on the wheel asap. The S2000 was also designed this way, with the shifter as close to the steering wheel as possible in order to minimize delays and keep your hands controlling the steering. I did end up buying a 10/10 condition used broomstick last month for $100 and designed my Autosolutions SSK around the broomstick so I do think it is a really good default shift knob.

I just drove a bone stock E46 M3 yesterday with a ZHP shift knob and it was fine. Is it better than the broomstick? It's all subjective. It didn't hinder my performance during shifting.
      Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
        The S2000 was also designed this way, with the shifter as close to the steering wheel as possible in order to minimize delays and keep your hands controlling the steering.
        Honda cheated though. The reason why the wheel in the S2K is close to the shifter is because the wheel is placed so low (and not adjustable) that you have to sit with your legs to the sides of it

Drove one this past weekend at a wet autox and kept hitting my legs when trying to catch slides. Unfortunate that I don't really fit in them, super cool cars.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Honda cheated though. The reason why the wheel in the S2K is close to the shifter is because the wheel is placed so low (and not adjustable) that you have to sit with your legs to the sides of it

Drove one this past weekend at a wet autox and kept hitting my legs when trying to catch slides. Unfortunate that I don't really fit in them, super cool cars.
          Sidenote, with the bucket seats in our cars I wish the steering wheel was ~20 mm lower. It was about right at the lowest position (IMO) with the stock seat, but as it is now it's too high

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

You have to use a bucket seat on lowering rails. Then the S2000 works perfectly because you feel like you're sitting in the car instead of top of it.
            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
              Sidenote, with the bucket seats in our cars I wish the steering wheel was ~20 mm lower. It was about right at the lowest position (IMO) with the stock seat, but as it is now it's too high
              Yeah, it does feel slightly too high. I haven't messed with it though, because any lower makes it partially obscure the gauge cluster.

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
              You have to use a bucket seat on lowering rails. Then the S2000 works perfectly because you feel like you're sitting in the car instead of top of it.
              Funny enough this car has bucket seats. Not sure what rails are on there, but the seats are definitely lower than stock. I think my legs are just too long . It's not uncomfortable, but yeah kinda sketch for scenarios that need quick (and large) inputs on the steering wheel.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Yeah.. I’ve never been able to get into and s2k (or Miata, even with foamectimy) with the roof closed. Stupid tallness…

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Fortunately my torso is short, so I can just barely squeeze into a stock S2K with a helmet on. Decent headroom with buckets.

Buut my left knee is in constant contact with the steering wheel.

Comment

Lucky for me I'm a new owner and drove the car at night ... once ... since I got it a couple weeks ago. So I won't be too nostalgic about missing the illumination, hah. Ended up ordering the taller M performance one. Hoping it feels better than the OE broomstick. We'll see!

Comment

I run the 545i short shift + OEM gooseneck. It's very comfortable on track + street.

Comment

I run the 545i short shift with the ZHP knob it feels perfect. Best bang for the buck combo imo.

Comment

I bought a ZHP shift knob back in 2015, and paired with refreshed shifter components and an E60 shift lever, I hated the feel. Went back to the broomstick within like three days. My RTD race height shifter was great, but it’s not street friendly and also looks out of place on a street car. Currently I’m running a broomstick in both cars with an AS 20% SSK and AS 25% Autocross SSK—works great for me.
                          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

I have a ZCP right now, and I plan to get the broomstick once I install an SSK. I like having more leverage with longer shift lever and having the shifter closer to the steering wheel. The ZCP is more of a knob than a lever.

S2000 is the best OEM shifter I've experienced to date. Wish the E46 M3 had the same feel.
                            Big Booty Betty - '02 E46 M3 Coupe

Comment

im running the e60 (slight tilt to the right) short throw and switch between the gooseneck and M performance (silver/alcantera).. I find the silver weighted knob very crunchy and not as pleasant as the OEM for shifting.

Comment

Lol its part of that old man m3 culture, I asked this question 8 years ago. At first before the f10 came out it was because they were illuminated. Now ppl say it feels better idk how.

Comment

Working...
                                X