Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some people prefer the broomstick E46 M3 shift knob over the ZHP shift knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I suspect that, if there’s a physical correlation, it’s people that are tall that would like the higher knob.
    I'm inclined to agree. All anecdotal of course, but as a relatively short guy (5'9") the ZHP knob seemed to fit where my hand fell naturally much better. Also prefer the way it looks so could also just be placebo.

Comment

Perfect timing, I just wanted to make a similar thread.

When I did my SMG delete, I went with the AutoX 25% and ZHP knob just because those two seemed to be everyone’s favorites at the time, and I do like the looks of the ZHP knob, but that’s secondary to feel. Because my car was originally SMG I have no other reference point.

I’m not unhappy with my setup, but it is notchier than I’d like, and admittedly when the car is cold I’d go as far as to say it feels bad – especially going into second. Then again maybe driving my dad’s 981 Spyder has just ruined all other transmissions for me.

A few people in this thread addressed the additional leverage the broomstick offers, and I guess I was wondering if that additional height/leverage might help smooth out some of the notchiness. I’d love it if anyone else that has had both these setups that can compare ZHP vs stock notchiness/leverage, since I'm definitely not interested in swapping out the shifter for the time.

2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

Originally posted by sina View Post
        Perfect timing, I just wanted to make a similar thread.

When I did my SMG delete, I went with the AutoX 25% and ZHP knob just because those two seemed to be everyone’s favorites at the time, and I do like the looks of the ZHP knob, but that’s secondary to feel. Because my car was originally SMG I have no other reference point.

I’m not unhappy with my setup, but it is notchier than I’d like, and admittedly when the car is cold I’d go as far as to say it feels bad – especially going into second. Then again maybe driving my dad’s 981 Spyder has just ruined all other transmissions for me.

A few people in this thread addressed the additional leverage the broomstick offers, and I guess I was wondering if that additional height/leverage might help smooth out some of the notchiness. I’d love it if anyone else that has had both these setups that can compare ZHP vs stock notchiness/leverage, since I'm definitely not interested in swapping out the shifter for the time.

Stock length shifter and 0% reduction is the path to non notchy bliss

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Stock length shifter and 0% reduction is the path to non notchy bliss
          That's kind of the feeling I'm getting, and fortunately it looks like AS kits hold their value pretty well second hand, so once I'm up for the project I may make that jump. But was hoping for a bit of a "hack" in the mean time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Best of both worlds! Just no illum. Weighted slightly more than ZHP as well. From memory, it's like 5.5oz vs. 6.3 or something like that. No stupid satin ring, stock height and look.
            Well you're close but the ZHP is 5.82 oz and that tall weighted version (p/n 25117896884) lists at 5.43 oz.
            So technically it's actually lighter than the ZHP one and not heavier.

*correction* ZHP p/n 25117896031 is 0.150 kg (5.29 oz) vs. p/n 25117896884 0.154 kg (5.43 oz)
            Last edited by old///MFanatic; 03-03-2021, 03:24 PM.
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I found 6.7oz. I'll have to look for where, maybe ECS or something. Did you get the weights in kg from realOEM?

Well, ECS says ZHP is 5.4oz as well hmmm.

It would make sense that they be about the same weight - why would BMW weight one more than the other really. The taller one is bigger, but the ZHP's trim ring at the bottom might make up for that?

RealOEM shows 5.29oz for ZHP.

So technically, the taller, weighted "stock" knob is a feather heavier than ZHP, per realOEM and ECS.
              Last edited by Tbonem3; 03-03-2021, 02:23 PM.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by sina View Post
                Fisrt off are you runing the OEM Pentosin gear oil? It's fairly common in the cold with other gear oils for people to comment that it feels "notchy". Pentosin helps this noticeably. As well as all around daily driving feel.

Well most everyone here has had the stock "goose neck" (been nicknamed the "gooseneck" for almost two decades. Even some dealerships list it online as the "goose neck"). So yes seeing how a such large group switch to the weighted "shorter" shift knob it's because of the better feel to them. Not much difference in leverage, that can be completely changed alone in how one's hand is angled on the shift knob/lever. The weight however is always going to be there as a benefit. It's why ///M made them weighted.
                I have the AS 40% and weighted stubby knob and absolutley love it. Personally I disliked the original old set-up feel. Bottom line:
                Everyone has a preference what is ideal for them though. Personal preference.
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I found 6.7oz. I'll have to look for where, maybe ECS or something. Did you get the weights in kg from realOEM?
                  Well, ECS says ZHP is 5.4oz as well hmmm.
                  It would make sense that they be about the same weight - why would BMW weight one more than the other really. The taller one is bigger, but the ZHP's trim ring at the bottom might make up for that?
                  RealOEM shows 5.29oz for ZHP.
                  So technically, the taller, weighted "stock" knob is a feather heavier than ZHP, per realOEM and ECS.
                  Yep, I copied wrong part number UGH. Will correct previous post.
                  0.154 kg vs 0.150 kg.
                  Yep it's technically heavier.

BTW fun REALOEM misprint. F10 M5 shift knob/boot

Shows a weight of 257.200 kg, which is 9,072 oz, which is 560 lbs. Now that's a heavy shift knob lol.

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                    Fisrt off are you runing the OEM Pentosin gear oil? It's fairly common in the cold with other gear oils for people to comment that it feels "notchy". Pentosin helps this noticeably. As well as all around daily driving feel.

Well most everyone here has had the stock "goose neck" (been nicknamed the "gooseneck" for almost two decades. Even some dealerships list it online as the "goose neck"). So yes seeing how a such large group switch to the weighted "shorter" shift knob it's because of the better feel to them. Not much difference in leverage, that can be completely changed alone in how one's hand is angled on the shift knob/lever. The weight however is always going to be there as a benefit. It's why ///M made them weighted.
                    I have the AS 40% and weighted stubby knob and absolutley love it. Personally I disliked the original old set-up feel. Bottom line:
                    Everyone has a preference what is ideal for them though. Personal preference.
                    I believe I am running the OEM gear oil, part no. 83-22-2-339-219 is what I put in when I did the conversion. Although I do remember some conversation at the time about the oil being NLA, so now that you mention it I'm not 100% sure that's the right stuff.

As for the feel, of course it is all subjective. That's why I decided on this combo because it seemed to be what the majority of people liked, so I figured just based on chance it may be what I like the most too. Sounds like the only way to know is to find a place that takes returns easily/cheapily and do a side by side comparison, same car, same oil, same SSK.

Comment

Another pro for the gooseneck is ability to grab it more comfortably like a pistol grip. I feel like I may do this shifting into 2nd sometimes, but frankly I don’t remember what I do because I don’t think about it.

Comment

^ Ya I'm surprised no one's mentioned yet how "bulbous" as Jared would say, that the knob is/feels. The stock shape is much better for gripping.
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

^ Ya I'm surprised no one's mentioned yet how "bulbous" as Jared would say, that the knob is/feels. The stock shape is much better for gripping.
                          Time to start whittling my own.

Last edited by Inizes; 03-03-2021, 05:35 PM.
                          2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	075B8F0E-6D59-4A76-9AC1-C4AF1B90DB46.jpeg
Views:	651
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	88784Click image for larger version  Name:	6B3DB687-E612-4DD0-A8B6-6D87E8BAAAF6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	123.1 KB ID:	88782

I wonder what happened to this shifter, from the preproduction cars.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	075B8F0E-6D59-4A76-9AC1-C4AF1B90DB46.jpeg
Views:	651
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	88784Click image for larger version Name:	6B3DB687-E612-4DD0-A8B6-6D87E8BAAAF6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	123.1 KB ID:	88782

I wonder what happened to this shifter, from the preproduction cars.
                              This one looks close, but I expect not illuminated

Comment

That's the same titan line knob that E39 M5's came with. I have a full set for my M5 but they don't wear well at all. BMW used garbage (lol wow no way) plastic on these parts.
                                2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                                2005 BMW ///M3
                                Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                                2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                                2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                                2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X