Garage lift recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 post if you want easy no hassle storage and do basic maintenance

2 post if you do a lot of work on the car (can also easily store a car underneath, although with BMWs leaks being common drip trays are nice with 4 posts, lol). 2x12 ramps can be made for $30 or less and that solves the jacking up car to get the lift arms under it issue.

'00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Not sure if OP already pulled the trigger, but I'll throw a plug in for a mohawk 2 post. I found a used mohawk system 1 on c-list several years ago, got it for about the cost of a new chinese mfg lift. It's amongst the best money I've spent. The mohawk is wide enough where don't need to worry about dinging doors getting in and out and the arms are low (I think about 3in). I have no prob getting them under my racecar which is much lower than my stock M3. Another benefit I didn't foresee - lifting the cars 1-2ft off the ground absolutely saves your back when doing under-hood work. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

How much garage height is needed to stack cars like that?

Comment

I have 11.5” which works for my lift and cars (I did raise my garage door though) I Can raise the m coupe or m3 max height and walk under just barely, but anything much taller then the m3 won’t work max height.

I have bridge jacks, a 4 post, plus quick jacks. Some times easier to use bridge over the pinch rail quick jacks depending on what you are doing. Also work nicely for supporting things (like dropping subframes).

only reason I went with a 4 post is my garage is pretty small and mobility is key for me. My 4 post actually is mobile when not loaded, and only when fully lowered. It’s definitely less rigid then others lifts I have been around as it’s not mounted to the floor, but I feel safe around it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3152B3CF-43DE-447C-A264-EBB8B1ADAE7F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	130.6 KB ID:	100315
          Attached Files
          Last edited by cali chase; 04-22-2021, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I have been pretty happy with my 4 post... planning to get a center hydraulic bridge for it this year, for wheels off service

2006 M3 ZCP 6spd
            2008 M3 6spd
            2012 LP 570-4 Super Trofeo Stradale
            2014 Ferrari 458

Follow me on instagram @ biggreasytaco

Comment

Originally posted by Code7rpd View Post
              How much garage height is needed to stack cars like that?
              10-11 is an absolute must, more if your cars are taller. I have 14 in the tallest part, and 10 at the lowest, but my door is far enough that its not in the way, otherwise you'd have to raise it:

BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by big greasy taco View Post
                I have been pretty happy with my 4 post... planning to get a center hydraulic bridge for it this year, for wheels off service
                Dang, what is the color on E92?
                BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Good to know. It looks like most of you guys have to remove the ramps for the car on the lift for the bottom car to get in. In would imagine the ramps hang a bit lower than the lift.

Comment

Was just doing an alignment/corner balance, and loving the quick jack/4 post combo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB1603A0-E0D2-454D-A0D4-E0E70139AB95.jpeg
Views:	689
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	100407

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

When you are not using the quick jack, do you just slide it off the 4 post lift out of the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Code7rpd View Post
                        When you are not using the quick jack, do you just slide it off the 4 post lift out of the way?
                        Yes. It can live in the middle of the 4 post, or I can stick it vertically against the wall.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Yes. It can live in the middle of the 4 post, or I can stick it vertically against the wall.
                          That's awesome - thanks!

Comment

Well - glad I checked back! Had a quote on a 2 post, but maybe I’ll look at a 4 post/quick Jack combo. My ceilings are 12’+ so I have the room. Planning to pick up insulation this weekend and then get it sheet rocked. Will have to get door tracks modified and want to epoxy coat the floor before I get the lift.

Picking up my slicktop E46 wagon tomorrow night! 5MT, heated sport seats, RWD with LSD. Then will have to go on the hunt for an M3 donor for the build.
                            '01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
                            '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by big greasy taco View Post

Skittles!

Interesting that the most daily drivable of the bunch is on the lift.

Edit: Also probably the least fun.

Comment

its some wild ass garage goals happening within this thread lol

back on topic, im planning on buying a 2-post lift soon. took concrete measurements and came up short on thickness, so first ive gotta rip out a patch, dig deeper and re-pour - let it all cure then install the new lift. i'm going 2-post since im planning a LS E36 build plus the enourmous amount of maintenance that comes with owning an E60 M5, E39 M5, E46 M3 and two range rovers lol

Comment

Working...
                                X