No announcement yet.

e46 M3 suspension setup, or how to not downgrade your car with suspension mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My previous suspension was TCK SA and after talking with TC he recommended 400F/500R spring rates. Any idea why the spring rates are so much different than flat rides approach?
    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Yes recommended by FCM, based on corner weights and dual use. Don't have have aero yet, but eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
        Yes recommended by FCM, based on corner weights and dual use. Don't have have aero yet, but eventually.
        Can you share your corner weights?
        2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Per the spreadsheet, those spring rates give you a 1% flat ride.
          Yeah that's set up for "flat" ride at like 300mph with those frequencies...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
            Yeah that's set up for "flat" ride at like 300mph with those frequencies...

Is the approach to aim between a 45-70 mph flat ride?

Comment

Is the approach to aim between a 45-70 mph flat ride?
              Yeah, remember, it is somewhat "static", so you need to aim for avg cornering speeds on track. That will differ on a more technical/slow speed vs a more open higher speed, but 45-70 is a decent range.

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

I guess I can see it if your car is rather stripped where you are carrying closer to 55-60% of weight in the front.

What are your FRC and hz ratio per FCM setup recommendations?

Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Can you share your corner weights?
                  Had me searching deep for the pic.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Had me searching deep for the pic.
                    Nice, looks like you have some significant weight reduction.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                      I guess I can see it if your car is rather stripped where you are carrying closer to 55-60% of weight in the front.

What are your FRC and hz ratio per FCM setup recommendations?

I had Shaihk run the numbers for me and I can't fully remember but I believe was right around where it needs to be.

Comment

To me it seems like a reasonably balanced ratio. It's just pretty stiff... 2.2Hz+ frequency. For track use this is ok but street use I would target closer to 1.7

Comment

Yeah with weight loss (mostly at the rear), those rates make more sense and result in some flat ride. Just getting readout of the rates without additional context seemed sacrilegious from FCM suggesting borderline pitchy setup, so ok there.

The only thing I'm still hung up on is adding so much front bar to those front rates, seems like a pushy setup with FRC over 80? Is that just driver preference, or some other context missing?

Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

GC front bar comes in 3 different wall thicknesses and is adjustable.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                              GC front bar comes in 3 different wall thicknesses and is adjustable.
                              Thick, car-breakingly thick, and extra car-breakingly thick?
                              2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                              Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                              Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

What are you spring rates? Also, did you measure corner weights?

Also curious if you measured your corner weights before FCM recommended spring rates? Were these spring rates aimed towards a sporty or more race focused setup?
                                The B4/Eibach pro kit/hotchkis setup is not height adjustable, so you’re not able to corner balance.

The point of the setup is budget flat ride. I wasn’t interested in spending $5,000+ to get a proper setup damper and spring rate conversion. Not saying it’s not worth it, but for how I drive my 46, the cost doesn’t add any more experience to the car.

My s2000 on the other hand I’ll be working with Shaik on dialing that in as it’s already purpose build to see track time.

Comment

Working...
                                X