Yeah, great info, thanks for posting.
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Nice read, always learning!
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

This is very helpful. Thank you, Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban
          Preface

So, generally...
          -the stickier your tires are, the more roll stiffness you need
          -the less suspension travel you have, the more stiffness you need
          -the higher (stiffer) the frequency is, the less grip you have
          -the stiffer the sways, the less grip
          I know what you’re getting at here but I think bullet point 1 and 4 contradict each other. There is a trade off between stiffness and camber of the outer tire. Another consideration, car with unbalanced front to rear roll stiffness and soft stock sways will have less maximum grip than a car with stiffer aftermarket sways if the car has better matched F&R roll stiffness.
          Also, stiffness is not as much of a factor on a smooth road.
          I think a good takeaway for everyone is that this is very complicated and easy to get the system out of wack when you start changing things.

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. View Post

I know what you’re getting at here but I think bullet point 1 and 4 contradict each other. There is a trade off between stiffness and camber of the outer tire. Another consideration, car with unbalanced front to rear roll stiffness and soft stock sways will have less maximum grip than a car with stiffer aftermarket sways if the car has better matched F&R roll stiffness.
            Also, stiffness is not as much of a factor on a smooth road.
            I think a good takeaway for everyone is that this is very complicated and easy to get the system out of wack when you start changing things.
            Hmm, I worded that poorly. I way trying to convey that the stiffer the springs and/or sways are, the less grip you'll get from a given tire. Completely agreed that a stickier tires on a stiffer setup often results in more grip than a less sticky tire on a softer setup. Let me work on rewording that to be clearer...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Other thread was weirdly glitchy (nobody could see changes I was making to the first post), so I made a new thread, moved all the replies over, and deleted the original. That said, you're all unsubscribed as a result :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Fantastic thread! I know setups can vary wildly depending on other suspension/weight modifications. However, for those of us running a mostly stock setup, it would be great to know some general recommendations (spring rates, dampers, ride height, sway bars, etc) to cut through the complexity.
                Last edited by mcfreid; 04-10-2020, 06:13 AM.
                2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
                2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by mcfreid View Post
                  Fantastic thread! I know setups can vary wildly depending on other suspension/weight modifications. However, for those of us running a mostly stock setup, it would be great to know some general recommendations (spring rates, dampers, ride height, sway bars, etc) to cut through the complexity.
                  Couple disclaimers:
                  1) you should really run the numbers! It doesn't take that long and it's amazing how quickly small changes DO make your car different. There's a reason BMW used so many different spring combinations, depending on how your car was optioned.
                  2) I'm going to suggest a flat ride setup, which some people are on board with and some are not. I very intentionally avoided flat ride in the original post, to keep everything uncontroversial. I've been running flat ride for while on all my cars, and am hugely on board with it at this point.

That said, for a very close to stock car, this would likely be pretty stellar:
                  TCK SAs
                  300 lbs front springs, 700 lb rear springs
                  Turner front sway (with turner sealed adjustable end links)
                  stock rear sway

If street only: e36 strut hats

If also track: Camber plates (I like the turner hybrids) and adjustable rear control arms
                  -possibly also swap out front sway for GC Race sway (unsealed end links will get noisy over time on GC's) and swap stock rear sway for CSL rear sway

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Great write up, to add to this there is a good book called “high-performance handling for street or track”

Comment

Hey Ian,
                      you have extensive knowledge with turner hybrid camber plates with ohlins dfv. I currently have ohlins with a csl rear bar and a hotchkis front on medium stiff. Car feels great but I want to experiment with flatride. If I got the turner hybrid camberplates 3ddm front strut spacer and 8inch 350 front 60mm springs would that be a good start? With the front strut spacer and the tuner plates I shouldn’t have any droop issues correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Grke46m3 View Post
                        Hey Ian,
                        you have extensive knowledge with turner hybrid camber plates with ohlins dfv. I currently have ohlins with a csl rear bar and a hotchkis front on medium stiff. Car feels great but I want to experiment with flatride. If I got the turner hybrid camberplates 3ddm front strut spacer and 8inch 350 front 60mm springs would that be a good start? With the front strut spacer and the tuner plates I shouldn’t have any droop issues correct?
                        Which kingpins do you have installed?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Hey Ian,
                          If it feels great why mess with it? Does it have an uncomfortable pitching motion?

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. View Post

If it feels great why mess with it? Does it have an uncomfortable pitching motion?
                            More comfortable, faster, easier to drive at the limit...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Which kingpins do you have installed?
                              Stock kingpins.

Comment

Hey Ian,
                                I've been running the Vogtland 7.5" springs. That lets me get the ride height adjuster higher, for the same ride height, so I can fit the tire under the adjuster instead of next to it. They have just enough travel to cover the Ohlins travel.

The turner hybrids will work nicely with the 3DM front strut spacers-- should address the bump issue entirely.

What's the flat ride ratio with the 350 fronts? going off intuition, it feels like that might not be enough to get you into the flat ride range (assuming you're keeping the stock 628 rears).
                                Vogtland also sells 325s, which is what I'm running on the passenger front side of my car (and the passenger rear is a stock Ohlins 628).

... I suspect you're going to want to go back to the M3 stock rear sway (instead of the CSL sway). But, again, I haven't run the numbers for your car, so just guesstimating.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X