e46 M3 suspension setup, or how to not downgrade your car with suspension mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
    repoman89 Oh, yes it's possible I have it backwards lol. Embarrassing. I'll have to play around with ride height and see what happens to the droop.
    You don’t even have to play around with it. Just put the front in the air — no matter what preload you set the shock will be at full extension == full droop. For me that was about 15” hub to fender distance IIRC with the 3DM kit and my Turner camber plates. Then you have 92mm or almost four inches to full compression (really 92mm divided by the ~0.94 or whatever it is motion ratio making it pretty much four inches). Split four inches into 60:40 desired bump:droop means you want the ride height to be somewhere around 13.5” in my example.

Comment

What is the total metal to metal travel of the ohlins in the back?
      I know the front is 92.5mm and have set bump/droop at 60/40 accordingly. Puts me at about 13.25" hub to fender which I'm happy with. Just wondering if the rears have the same travel as the front?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
        What is the total metal to metal travel of the ohlins in the back?
        I know the front is 92.5mm and have set bump/droop at 60/40 accordingly. Puts me at about 13.25" hub to fender which I'm happy with. Just wondering if the rears have the same travel as the front?
        143.5mm

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I'm running 350 front left, 325 front right, 700 rear left, 628 rear right (which results in the same frequencies left/right with just me in the car).

The Ohlins don't have much travel up front-- you should set your ride height solely by bump/droop ratio, to make the most of it. They have 92mm of total travel, so I like to set the ride height at 32mm of droop (giving 60mm of bump travel). If you have US spec kingpins, combined with pretty much any camber plate on the market, that's going to put you low (too low for optimal handling). When I had US kingpins, I was running spacers on the shock mount to get the car sufficiently high. Now that I'm on CSL kingpins, they're no longer necessary. (side note: 3DM now sells spacers for this purpose).

My guess is that Ohlins developed their setup with Euro kingpins, which have the same shock mounting location as the Euro ones... but the US ones are different. Or designed without consideration for camber plates. Either way, non US Kingpins or the spacers above or the spacers I designed all address the issue.

Because I'm still running spacers of my own design (just now milled down further, since I got the CSL kingpins), I tweaked them so my 32mm of drop travel happens and exactly 13.5" up front. Rear is 13", and the the Ohlins have plenty of rear travel and let you set the bump/droop travel independently of ride height-- so I'm at 60% bump, 40% droop (143.5mm of total rear shock travel).
          I’m about to have a set of ohlins road and track installed on my car. I won’t be using camber plates. I will be running 19x9.5 BBS LM in front. Would I still need the spacer ?

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post

I’m about to have a set of ohlins road and track installed on my car. I won’t be using camber plates. I will be running 19x9.5 BBS LM in front. Would I still need the spacer ?
            Yes— you can only get it from 3DM, AFAIK.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post

Fellow NY'er selling these. Not mine but I just saw them.

Comment

Originally posted by LVMESM46 View Post

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3-f32fe771d58a
                Yep I’m meeting up with him tomorrow. That’s why I asked in here. Appreciate it bro.

Comment

For those wishing to access the link regarding "how to use" contained within the spreadsheet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ci...orsports%2CInc.

Thank you for posting this, extremely helpful.
                  2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                  [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3-f32fe771d58a
                    I picked these up earlier tonight from Frankie Onefastsicilian 👍

Comment

Shaikh, effects of high damper gas pressure ('jerk')

Is the gas pressure article still available somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Wernd View Post
                        Shaikh, effects of high damper gas pressure ('jerk')

Is the gas pressure article still available somewhere?
                        2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Would Ohlins with a 300# front spring both L&R and stock Ohlins rear at 630# in the rear L&R with Turner bar at soft which gives me 74.4 L&R FRC and bounce frequency of 1.10 L&R be a good starting point to try Flat Ride?

Comment

Would Ohlins with a 300# front spring both L&R and stock Ohlins rear at 630# in the rear L&R with Turner bar at soft which gives me 74.4 L&R FRC and bounce frequency of 1.10 L&R be a good starting point to try Flat Ride?
                            Yes.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

What length springs up front should be used? 7" or 8" or 7.5" vogtland?

Comment

What length springs up front should be used? 7" or 8" or 7.5" vogtland?
                                That depends on a lot of things :P

How long and how stiff is your current spring? Where is it on it's adjuster range, and are you at your future desired ride height?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X