No announcement yet.

e46 M3 suspension setup, or how to not downgrade your car with suspension mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The b6 paired with lowering springs rides pleasantly in most all situations. There are certain times the limited travel will be evident, however. There are places I have learned to be careful, but these are few and far between.

I do not feel the need for camber plates. The roads by me are fairly good, and I do not daily it.

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

Unless you use eibach pro kit springs which are designed to work with stock style dampers and will keep flat ride like factory. The rest are all junk on this car for stock style spring. You are technically losing travel with lowering springs though.
      Don't be pedantic, you know what I'm saying Corey.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

A couple things to consider when trying to maximize bump travel:

1. You may have limited travel due to shock length and top mount height, but your wheel/tire might crash first so it's a good idea to check. The way I did this was remove the spring and bump stops and move the wheel through its travel then turn the wheel side to side a little bit (90-180 degrees at the steering wheel in either direction). From here you can measure and see what the limiting factor is. With my 18x8.5et38 with 245/40 tires, which is pretty conservative and not terribly flush, this was 11.5 inches wheel center to fender. So I would benefit from gaining about 1" of bump travel from the Koni or stock shock.

2. Of course this is complicated because the front springs are so soft, they really rely on the bump stops as an added spring to support when cornering. Careful about adding too much bump travel without also increasing spring rate. It might end up being a terrible handling setup. As Obioban said in the original post, stock springs are 143lbs/in! Dinans are still only 175! When I was running 300's without the support of bump stops, it still felt soft but with so much more linearity and predictability.

Moral of the story is - it very quickly makes sense to go to "coilovers" on this car if you start tweaking things and you want the ideal balance of performance and comfort.
        Last edited by cobra; 09-06-2022, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I think stock springs are 143lb/in. Eibach pro-kit is 155. But good points!

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            I think stock springs are 143lb/in. Eibach pro-kit is 155. But good points!
            Yes, my bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	183391

Comment

Would using camber plates give the B12 kit enough travel to avoid the bump stop issue? Roads are smooth here.

Comment

Originally posted by Subfra///Me View Post
                Would using camber plates give the B12 kit enough travel to avoid the bump stop issue? Roads are smooth here.
                In my opinion, yes, esp if your car is on the lighter side. BUT, why are you running a hardcore part (camber plates) with stock replacement suspension? It's not really the right combo.

Comment

In my opinion, yes, esp if your car is on the lighter side. BUT, why are you running a hardcore part (camber plates) with stock replacement suspension? It's not really the right combo.
                  One reason would be to get enough travel for the B12 kit. Another is that I feel being able to adjust camber for the occasional track/autocross day is beneficial. Even for a fairly stock car.

Comment

Am I off base? I thought the Turner street plates didn't really add significant NVH.

Comment

Originally posted by Subfra///Me View Post
                      Am I off base? I thought the Turner street plates didn't really add significant NVH.
                      Poly is stiffer than rubber. It's not that bad, but it's there. Less than the solid bearings in the race style plates.

Comment

Poly is stiffer than rubber. It's not that bad, but it's there. Less than the solid bearings in the race style plates.
                        I guess I just have to decide if it's worth dealing with slightly more nvh over stock to run the B12 kit. Otherwise, it's Koni/Dinan. There just aren't many better options that aren't coilovers. I don't want to go down that road and I don't want to replace stock for stock.

Comment

You can run the b12 kit with stock mounts. It'll just be firm.

You're not Louis Hamilton; you don't need perfect suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post
                            The b6 paired with lowering springs rides pleasantly in most all situations. There are certain times the limited travel will be evident, however. There are places I have learned to be careful, but these are few and far between.

I do not feel the need for camber plates. The roads by me are fairly good, and I do not daily it.
                            +1. I have the B12 kit and really appreciate it now after trying some other cars. No mods but the kit. Highly recommend against B4, had those when I was trying to save a few bucks.
                            B12 is not half as harsh or uncomfortable as all this camber plate/ bumpstop talk leads you to believe and I drive on third world level roads here in LA.

Comment

I would be really curious to test a B12 kit and see how it stacks up against the competition. Try those and see how you like them.

Comment

You can run the b12 kit with stock mounts. It'll just be firm.

You're not Louis Hamilton; you don't need perfect suspension.
                                What are your thoughts on air suspensions?

Comment

Working...
                                X