No announcement yet.

e46 M3 suspension setup, or how to not downgrade your car with suspension mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KYs? You might mean Konis. KYBs dont make dampers for the e46m3 afaik.

Dinan is a mild drop (so you won't be on the bump stops too much), and they provide rebound setting suggestions for the konis.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by K_M3 View Post
      If I'm looking to keep my stock car as close to stock as possible, is the going consensus still stock springs on KYs? If I'm reading all this correctly the Dinan springs on KYs is too close to the bump stops? I'm doing a full suspension/bushing refresh soon and trying to figure out what direction to go with struts and springs.
      Your damper options with stock springs are Sachs (OEM), Koni Sport (adjustable rebound damping), Bilstein B4 (OE replacement) and Bilstein B6 (inverted monotube strut and monotube shock).
      2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by K-Dawg View Post

Your damper options with stock springs are Sachs (OEM), Koni Sport (adjustable rebound damping), Bilstein B4 (OE replacement) and Bilstein B6 (inverted monotube strut and monotube shock).
        I don't know anything about the B6's but that sounds like an interesting option.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
          I don't know anything about the B6's but that sounds like an interesting option.
          IDK what the B6 is like for this platform, but...

Typically the B6 makes the ride slightly firmer than stock but has good body control and a very long service life. If you want to install a set of dampers and never worry about them again for as long as you (probably) own the car, the B6 is usually your best shot.
          2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
          Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
          Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

I love b6s. You need to mod them / set them up properly to go lower than stock.

They're too stout for oe replacement though, you'd be better off with koni or the b4s which are also twin tube like sachs and konis (more comfortable)

B6s are better when you're increasing spring rate a bit and want more robust control. There is a cost, though. They're a bit rough/firm.

Comment

Does anyone here have real world experience with BOTH the B12 kit and Koni/Dinan?

I understand that the B12 kit is a performance upgrade over the Koni/Dinan combo, but is the increase in performance greater than the decrease in ride comfort? I know this is very subjective, but looking for opinions.

My car is a weekend/fun car and will only occasionally see track or autocross time, so I don't want it to ride like hell. I will be using Turner street camber plates, so I don't think travel should be an issue with either setup.

From what I've read here, it seems like Koni/Dinan is an upgrade in both performance and ride quality over stock. The B12 should obviously be an upgrade in performance as well, but what is the ride quality like? Rougher than stock? If so, how much?
              Last edited by Subfra///Me; 09-05-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

The Turner plates give you just under 10mm extra travel. Not a whole lot! I just spent a bunch of time measuring mine this weekend Ground Control might be better

edit: Does anyone in here have stack measurements for Ground Control? Pics of stock and Turner (add the spacer for Turner numbers)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bry5on; 09-05-2022, 07:18 PM.
                ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
                  The Turner plates give you just under 10mm extra travel. Not a whole lot! I just spent a bunch of time measuring mine this weekend Ground Control might be better

edit: Does anyone in here have stack measurements for Ground Control? Pics of stock and Turner (add the spacer for Turner numbers)
                  Yes, I actually just finished taking measurements of new OE strut mounts, Turner Street, Ground Control Street, and Turner Hybrid mounts. Besides stock, Turner Street is the worst for bump travel (especially with the spacer). Turner Hybrid is the king. I'm putting the information together for a separate post.
                  Last edited by K-Dawg; 09-06-2022, 03:00 AM.
                  2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Do the Turner Street plates allow enough travel for the B12 kit? I live in the south. Roads are pretty good overall here.

If I recall correctly, Koni/Dinan doesn't even require the use of plates.

Comment

Originally posted by Subfra///Me View Post
                      Do the Turner Street plates allow enough travel for the B12 kit? I live in the south. Roads are pretty good overall here.

If I recall correctly, Koni/Dinan doesn't even require the use of plates.
                      Neither B12 (B6/Eibach) nor Koni/Dinan require camber plates. The B6 and Koni dampers are designed for stock height. Eibach and Dinan are lowering springs, so the idea is that both can benefit from camber plates that increase bump travel.
                      2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Yes, I actually just finished taking measurements of new OE strut mounts, Turner Street, Ground Control Street, and Turner Hybrid mounts. Besides stock, Turner Street is the worst for bump travel (especially with the spacer). Turner Hybrid is the king. I'm putting the information together for a separate post.
                        Very much looking forward to this, thank you!
                        ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Neither B12 (B6/Eibach) nor Koni/Dinan require camber plates. The B6 and Koni dampers are designed for stock height. Eibach and Dinan are lowering springs, so the idea is that both can benefit from camber plates that increase bump travel.
                          Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought I had previously read that the B12 kit really needed the extra travel the camber plates offered in order to keep it off the bumpstops.

Comment

Originally posted by Subfra///Me View Post

Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought I had previously read that the B12 kit really needed the extra travel the camber plates offered in order to keep it off the bumpstops.
                            I forgot to mention that several people have reported that out of the box, B6 dampers have less (bump) travel than the other twin-tube (stock, Koni, B4, etc.) options available. So between the Eibach lowering springs and B6 reduced bump travel, you would be correct. I have a B12 kit on the bench, but I haven't gotten around to taking measurements of it yet.

According to cobra , the Koni/Dinan combo gets into the bump stops real quick as well.
                            2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Basically, the E46 m3 shouldn't be lowered at stock/stock-like spring rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                                Basically, the E46 m3 shouldn't be lowered at stock/stock-like spring rates.
                                Unless you use eibach pro kit springs which are designed to work with stock style dampers and will keep flat ride like factory. The rest are all junk on this car for stock style spring. You are technically losing travel with lowering springs though.
                                2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
                                2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Working...
                                X