No announcement yet.

e46 M3 suspension setup, or how to not downgrade your car with suspension mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No comment. Don't want to deflate the thread any further.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Lol….

Comment

Originally posted by Allnightlong View Post
        What are your thoughts on air suspensions?
        I try not to think about them.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I try not to think about them.
          I take it your not a fan of the floaty uncontrollable feeling you get on the apex😐

Comment

Great podcast episode with Mike Kojima. Suspension guru extraordinaire. Highly recommend a listen:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
              Great podcast episode with Mike Kojima. Suspension guru extraordinaire. Highly recommend a listen:

Youtube link for those on PC (or android) and don't want that fat bastard called iTunes on their PC.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Youtube link for those on PC (or android) and don't want that fat bastard called iTunes on their PC.

Pretty eye opening stuff, seems like a lot of work to really dial in this car and conversely mad easy to royally mess it up.

Obioban was there some doc whereby it stated that after the 13.5F/13R heights we then need to correct for revised suspension geometry?

Follow up question, how does the car behave under compression where it goes beneath that ride height factor? From this video, after the arms go beyond 90deg we gain positive camber and a host of other unwanted behaviours.
                2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post
                  Pretty eye opening stuff, seems like a lot of work to really dial in this car and conversely mad easy to royally mess it up.
                  Absolutely. As with most mods, especially on a car that’s as good stock as the E46 M3. Wish this were more widely understood and appreciated.
                  2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                  Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                  Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                    Absolutely. As with most mods, especially on a car that’s as good stock as the E46 M3. Wish this were more widely understood and appreciated.
                    Yup because most people don't have the chance to drive a stock e46 m3 on brand new suspension. Comparing 20 yr old worn out suspension is meaningless. Recently bought brand new oem dampers on my ZHP and did some bump stop modifications and swaybars and the car is incredible. I can blow through backroads and hit bumps at 80mph+ and the car just takes the bumps like it should and is still a lot of fun and predictable. These cars stock, M3 included, actually sit virtually on the bumpstop use it to control roll, grip, and oversteer/understeer characteristics so if you go lower on that setup without moving to a shorter bumpstop with similar characteristics (easily misunderstood by the average person) you are changing the handling dynamics negatively at an exponential rate the lower you go.

If you want to go lower, everything needs to be calculated and setup accordingly in the proper ride height ranges if you care about performance. Just going low for looks does not work. If you setup can't take bumps at 80mph without the car getting upset, your suspension is not able to properly do its job to control the chassis.

Ian is 100% right with this stuff and I have hundreds of hours testing this stuff on both my cars as well as guidance from a suspension engineer that this stuff is indeed true.
                    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000577379915

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

That's a good listen. I liked that a lot of the concepts they talked about are already being discussed on this forum.
                      2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Interesting. I ended up watching some more of his content after this. Kind of a quirky guy. Some misleading information but also a lot of things I didn't know about.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

Interesting. I ended up watching some more of his content after this. Kind of a quirky guy. Some misleading information but also a lot of things I didn't know about.
                          Curious. What info did you find misleading?

Comment

I didn't make a list, but off the top of my head some of the shock tuning and spring rate things could lead to confusion.
                            -They both agreed that spring rates were a bad way to talk about spring selection due to varied motion ratios, but then proceeded to speak in terms of spring rates. Mike was not forthcoming with his perspective on ride frequency.
                            -The "4 clicks in, 1 click out" can cause a lot of confusion because every shock is completely different. 8 clicks on one brand might equal 1 click on another. Some adjusters do almost nothing and others have dramatic effects. More importantly, if you aren't in the ballpark to begin with you're wasting your time. I've wasted a LOT of time turning adjusters when in reality I was not even in the ballpark to begin with.

Just generalizations that people might think they can apply to their vehicle, A few more disclaimers would have helped

Comment

have followed him since his SCC magazine days, and while he's made invaluable contributions to the scene and community, there isn't a Nitto tire or KW coilover that he hasn't fallen in love with

Comment

I was surprised he mentioned KW as a quality option. Maybe it's because he deals with V3 and above, but the V2s that came on my car were crap and that's the general review I've heard of them.
                                '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Working...
                                X