Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grke46m3 View Post
    Hey Ian,
    you have extensive knowledge with turner hybrid camber plates with ohlins dfv. I currently have ohlins with a csl rear bar and a hotchkis front on medium stiff. Car feels great but I want to experiment with flatride. If I got the turner hybrid camberplates 3ddm front strut spacer and 8inch 350 front 60mm springs would that be a good start? With the front strut spacer and the tuner plates I shouldn’t have any droop issues correct?
    I actually was was running that setup last season along with, 700 rear springs Hotchkis front sway on med and no rear bar felt really good had rear csl but removed it, car feel more plated mid corner, can get quicker on the gas vs when I had rear csl, this year wanted to experiment a bit and trying out 396 front with 750 rear, would prefer 800 rear but ohlins can only max about 750 in the back before needs revalve, so far no complaints on the street but due to this pandemic, could not really give it fair test at the track time will tell.
    Last edited by Radekxpl; 04-11-2020, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radekxpl View Post

I actually was was running that setup last season along with, 700 rear springs Hotchkis front sway on med and no rear bar felt really good had rear csl but removed it, car feel more plated mid corner, can get quicker on the gas vs when I had rear csl, this year wanted to experiment a bit and trying out 396 front with 750 rear, would prefer 800 rear but ohlins can only max about 750 in the back before needs revalve, so far no complaints on the street but due to this pandemic, could not really give it fair test at the track time will tell.
      I feel like street testing is better now than ever, with the pandemic going on!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I feel like street testing is better now than ever, with the pandemic going on!
        In a sense that is totally true, there hardly anyone driving now specially on nice twisty back roads, can really stretch cars legs hehe 😉

Comment

Ian, what springs and rates are you using with your Ohlins R/T? And what ride height do you have? I installed about mine a month ago (with the Ohlins springs in the kit), haven't driven it very much at all, and now that it has settled (and i'm getting my second alignment tomorrow), I am paying a bit more attention to the set up. My ride height is just over 13.25" in the front and 12.75" in the rear. There is some adjustment available but I am wondering if I should really be going with different springs. IIRC you had some custom perches made, Just curious to know what springs you're running though.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew 06M3Cab View Post
            Ian, what springs and rates are you using with your Ohlins R/T? And what ride height do you have? I installed about mine a month ago (with the Ohlins springs in the kit), haven't driven it very much at all, and now that it has settled (and i'm getting my second alignment tomorrow), I am paying a bit more attention to the set up. My ride height is just over 13.25" in the front and 12.75" in the rear. There is some adjustment available but I am wondering if I should really be going with different springs. IIRC you had some custom perches made, Just curious to know what springs you're running though.
            I'm running 350 front left, 325 front right, 700 rear left, 628 rear right (which results in the same frequencies left/right with just me in the car).

The Ohlins don't have much travel up front-- you should set your ride height solely by bump/droop ratio, to make the most of it. They have 92mm of total travel, so I like to set the ride height at 32mm of droop (giving 60mm of bump travel). If you have US spec kingpins, combined with pretty much any camber plate on the market, that's going to put you low (too low for optimal handling). When I had US kingpins, I was running spacers on the shock mount to get the car sufficiently high. Now that I'm on CSL kingpins, they're no longer necessary. (side note: 3DM now sells spacers for this purpose).

My guess is that Ohlins developed their setup with Euro kingpins, which have the same shock mounting location as the Euro ones... but the US ones are different. Or designed without consideration for camber plates. Either way, non US Kingpins or the spacers above or the spacers I designed all address the issue.

Because I'm still running spacers of my own design (just now milled down further, since I got the CSL kingpins), I tweaked them so my 32mm of drop travel happens and exactly 13.5" up front. Rear is 13", and the the Ohlins have plenty of rear travel and let you set the bump/droop travel independently of ride height-- so I'm at 60% bump, 40% droop (143.5mm of total rear shock travel).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Thanks, that's a great help. I do have US kingpins. The 3dm motorsports spacers look interesting, and solution until/if I change to the CSL kingpins.. I'll call Barry - that's where I purchased the Ohlins from. He was a fantastic help.

Comment

Has anyone tried using FCM calcs with PSS10? Vorshlag offers linear spring conversion package with their camber plates ( 450/500 springs) and I’ve heard of folks swapping out springs on PSS but not sure if anyone used FCM math to get to a right place.
                Also, does anyone know what the springs rates are for PSS10? I feel that I used to be able to find it online before but I can’t any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I'm running 350 front left, 325 front right, 700 rear left, 628 rear right (which results in the same frequencies left/right with just me in the car).
                  So you're running the stock R&T rear springs but 350/325 fronts? Did you have to revalve the front dampers or was there enough adjustability for them to handle the softer spring?
                  E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                  Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

So you're running the stock R&T rear springs but 350/325 fronts? Did you have to revalve the front dampers or was there enough adjustability for them to handle the softer spring?
                    I’m running the stock ohlins spring on the rear right

Per Ohlins, the dampers are good for +-30%, which I’m in range of. Next winter I’m probably going to have them rebuilt/revalved for my specific corner weights and spring rates.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I wish kw was transparent about their spring rates. I have v2's and would love to make it flat ride as I believe it's just to stiff for road use.

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey_M3 View Post
                        I wish kw was transparent about their spring rates. I have v2's and would love to make it flat ride as I believe it's just to stiff for road use.
                        Stiff or pitchy?
                        2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                        Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                        Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                          Stiff or pitchy?
                          Stiff, I suppose. I have a 13.25 inch ride height and the struts are on full soft for road use and I still find them to be a bit to harsh. I am aware its not a greatest shocks but they came with the car and I am working with what I got

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey_M3 View Post

Stiff, I suppose. I have a 13.25 inch ride height and the struts are on full soft for road use and I still find them to be a bit to harsh. I am aware its not a greatest shocks but they came with the car and I am working with what I got
                            Might want to check out this option:

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Yup Ive seen those. Problem is, I have a camber plate for the stock spring diameter. So I need to change out that and the springs

Comment

Ian, could you clear up the kingpin differences for us?

Does anybody know the exact spec differences between the standard and CSL king pins? I about to replace my wheel bearings and considering upgrading to them. For those who have them, is it worth it?

I see camber, track, and shock mount height mentioned as differences, but I'm not sure what's speculation vs. reality.

Comment

Working...
                                X