No announcement yet.

e46 M3 suspension setup, or how to not downgrade your car with suspension mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will be a complete new setup from struts/shocks too springs. So I have no data to go off of besides what I read from your posts on some others.

Comment

Originally posted by LVMESM46 View Post
      This will be a complete new setup from struts/shocks too springs. So I have no data to go off of besides what I read from your posts on some others.
      What camber plates are you using?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I planned on Turner street plates but I am open to suggestions.

I also plan to run a 9.5 wide +35 wheel squares with 265's

Comment

From what I've seen and experienced, 8" is for stock rate like 143lb up to like 200. Once around 300-400, 7" is good. Then after 400lb 6" is ok, especially if you get the extra travel type.

You won't have to worry about rubbing the spring perch with linear springs and those wheels.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

^agreed

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

What length springs up front should be used? 7" or 8" or 7.5" vogtland?
              at those rates, 8 would not work. I am at a much milder rate and at lowest setting I am at 610mm from the wheel to the fender edge.

Comment

Would Ohlins with a 300# front spring both L&R and stock Ohlins rear at 630# in the rear L&R with Turner bar at soft which gives me 74.4 L&R FRC and bounce frequency of 1.10 L&R be a good starting point to try Flat Ride?
                Funny, this is the exact setup I'm going to go with, and I had the same question about spring length. Undecided on if I'll go Turner Street plates or stock mounts (swapped L to R) with these Turner 2.5" perch adapters.
                '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

IMO, using stock mounts defeats a very useful feature of aftermarket coilovers/plates for us - reducing ride height for free through reduction of stack height in camber plates from GC, Vorshlag, TMS and probably others.

If you just want stock like height (14"+) then you'll have plenty of travel I suppose.
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                    From what I've seen and experienced, 8" is for stock rate like 143lb up to like 200. Once around 300-400, 7" is good. Then after 400lb 6" is ok, especially if you get the extra travel type.

You won't have to worry about rubbing the spring perch with linear springs and those wheels.
                    This is golden information. I'll give 7" a try and will definitely report back.

tried 7" and maxed out only can get 12.75" from fender to hub center. So these dont work. 8" it will have to be
                    Last edited by lvm3sm46; 07-02-2022, 06:35 PM.

Comment

FWIW, Ohlins comes with a 8" 400 front spring and that provides almost an inch drop with stock front mounts.

If you try running a 350 7" spring at 13.5 ride height, you will be almost at the very top of adjustment threads on the collar after preloading the spring appropriately (ride height and spring preload same adjuster).

I tried a 336 7" spring and could not get it to more than barely above 13.25 after maxing out the adjustment collar/preload. The tire rubbed.

Rears at 628 I believe are 6" long (they might be 5", ill need to check).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

I’m about to have ohlins road and track installed on my car. I’m not sure if they came with front and rear endlinks. Would the Moog K6662 work with these ?
                        If not which ones are recommended?

Comment

Ive seen the Turner ones recommended here, https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...s-pair/?pdk=Bw

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                            FWIW, Ohlins comes with a 8" 400 front spring and that provides almost an inch drop with stock front mounts.

If you try running a 350 7" spring at 13.5 ride height, you will be almost at the very top of adjustment threads on the collar after preloading the spring appropriately (ride height and spring preload same adjuster).

I tried a 336 7" spring and could not get it to more than barely above 13.25 after maxing out the adjustment collar/preload. The tire rubbed.

Rears at 628 I believe are 6" long (they might be 5", ill need to check).

Do you know the rear spring rate for the Ohlins? I’m assuming the 400# F are for the R&Ts?
                            2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Rear is 630 for the R&T

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Do you know the rear spring rate for the Ohlins? I’m assuming the 400# F are for the R&Ts?
                                The last sentence of my post lists them at 628

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X