e46 M3 suspension setup, or how to not downgrade your car with suspension mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
    If you go bigger sway bars, may I suggest you reinforce the sway bar mounting area with Bimmerworld's reinforcement kit (https://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWo...i-330i-M3.html). Just a thought after last weekend.

Feff
    For what it's worth, the CSL does use steel brackets instead of aluminum for the front sway. Perhaps a mitigation for that failure mode?

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post

Obioban knows nothing about this

Nothing at all
      Ha.

Yep.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I haven't heard of anyone doing this, but can the front sway bar reinforcement plates be glued on with structural adhesive?

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

For what it's worth, the CSL does use steel brackets instead of aluminum for the front sway. Perhaps a mitigation for that failure mode?

I chose to use these with my CSL front sway, but don’t really get how it would stop the bolts from ripping the chassis apart. If anything I’d think aluminum brackets would want to break before steel ones, and be more likely to save the chassis (steel rear sway bar brackets are a popular upgrade on the E39 M5 which tends to break OE alu ones frequently)

I am EE, not materials/structural engineer though.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

I chose to use these with my CSL front sway, but don’t really get how it would stop the bolts from ripping the chassis apart. If anything I’d think aluminum brackets would want to break before steel ones, and be more likely to save the chassis (steel rear sway bar brackets are a popular upgrade on the E39 M5 which tends to break OE alu ones frequently)

I'm not an engineer of any sort - my thought is if the bracket begins to deform, that could exert stresses on the mount in directions it is not designed to handle?

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

I know nothing about that, either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	221864

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Superfastmatt just published another thread relevant video that I thought was pretty interesting: https://youtu.be/Af6eYn3HOjw
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                  Superfastmatt just published another thread relevant video that I thought was pretty interesting: https://youtu.be/Af6eYn3HOjw
                  Great video thanks for sharing!

Comment

Anyone try the Koni set up by Dinan? Just seen them as i was putting the regular koni with stock springs on my cart. They say it lowers with same geometry and same feel has out the factory with the Dinan springs.. but not sure. I personally deal with all weather conditions so it's probably best not to drop at all for me.

Comment

They're just yellow konis.

The Dinan dampers you want, if you even can find a set, and they're not too used up, are the JRZs that look like stock.
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Drewrivera View Post
                        Anyone try the Koni set up by Dinan? Just seen them as i was putting the regular koni with stock springs on my cart. They say it lowers with same geometry and same feel has out the factory with the Dinan springs.. but not sure. I personally deal with all weather conditions so it's probably best not to drop at all for me.
                        I have the "Dinan" Konis. No way to tell if they're actually different other than hearsay on the forums, without testing them side-by-side on a shock dyno.

When I asked Dinan directly 10 years ago, they told me they were different. So that's either ignorance or a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

I have the "Dinan" Konis. No way to tell if they're actually different other than hearsay on the forums, without testing them side-by-side on a shock dyno.

When I asked Dinan directly 10 years ago, they told me they were different. So that's either ignorance or a lie.
                          Pretty sure it's a lie. Someone stuck them on a shock dyno, and they were the same. Seems like the only thing that is dinan specific is the setting (which you can recreate for free).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Pretty sure it's a lie. Someone stuck them on a shock dyno, and they were the same. Seems like the only thing that is dinan specific is the setting (which you can recreate for free).
                            The funniest part is they come with a label that says they are pre-set to Dinan custom specifications (I think it was something like 1/4 turn in front and 1.5 turns in rear) when you order them, but when I checked they were at full soft.

Comment

So what would be a good option if I'm trying to keep it relatively close to stock? I'm just looking for a slightly lower ride height (less than 1") and less body roll. I only track a handful of times a year so I'm not ready to commit to a 5k MCS/JRZ setup, and it is a daily and canyon car as well. TCK S/A or koni yellows paired with dinan springs (I think this is ez flat ride?) are what currently what I've narrowed it down to from my research, but open to suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by gaiakai View Post
                                So what would be a good option if I'm trying to keep it relatively close to stock? I'm just looking for a slightly lower ride height (less than 1") and less body roll. I only track a handful of times a year so I'm not ready to commit to a 5k MCS/JRZ setup, and it is a daily and canyon car as well. TCK S/A or koni yellows paired with dinan springs (I think this is ez flat ride?) are what currently what I've narrowed it down to from my research, but open to suggestions.
                                Öhlins.
                                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                                Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                                Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Working...
                                X