Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone that has the AS "Auto X" SSK for for car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hotchkess
    I know this is a slightly old thread, but I figured I'd post my experience. I had the AS Auto X shifter installed to complete my SMG to stick conversion. I've only put about a couple hundred miles on it so far, but first impressions are it feels pretty notchy, almost like it takes force to get it into each gear, and it's not a smooth process. It doesn't feel like it wants to glide into place when shifting, and I've found myself mis-shifting when trying to downshift. The shifter itself also came in a little dirty straight out of the box, almost like it had been used and taken out of a previous car before being shipped out to me. There was a fair amount of dirt and grit layered around the base of the shift rod, and there was even a small piece of grass hiding on the bottom of the shifter as well.

With all of this being said, there could be a multitude of things that could be causing the notchiness I'm feeling. But I figured I'd just throw out my experience with it so far. Worth the $600? As of right now no.
    This isn't a S2K or Miata. Gearshifts need to be performed with a bit more patience and precision to get it to be less notchy. The 420G gearbox likes a bit more RPM to operate smoothly. Shift points above 3k RPM tend to be smoother and blending throttle on the upshifts helps the gears mesh together.
    Last edited by Slideways; 03-09-2023, 12:41 AM.

Comment

People complaining about how the AS kit feels regardless of model or % reduction need to get rid of their ZHP knob first. Try the oem broom stick or the weighted broomstick knob. That made my experience night and day.. Zhp knob is too short and ruins the experience.

Neither of the AS kit nor the e46 m3 transmission were designed with the Zhp knob as part of the picture. They were both designed to work with the longer broomstick shifter.

the zhp knob works OK only on the ZHP ZF 6 speed transmission and even there, long knob works better but the zhp piece seems ok simply because the shift effort is so much lower compared to 420G in our cars.

my 2 cents..
      Last edited by PetrolM3; 03-09-2023, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotchkess
        I know this is a slightly old thread, but I figured I'd post my experience. I had the AS Auto X shifter installed to complete my SMG to stick conversion. I've only put about a couple hundred miles on it so far, but first impressions are it feels pretty notchy, almost like it takes force to get it into each gear, and it's not a smooth process. It doesn't feel like it wants to glide into place when shifting, and I've found myself mis-shifting when trying to downshift. The shifter itself also came in a little dirty straight out of the box, almost like it had been used and taken out of a previous car before being shipped out to me. There was a fair amount of dirt and grit layered around the base of the shift rod, and there was even a small piece of grass hiding on the bottom of the shifter as well.

With all of this being said, there could be a multitude of things that could be causing the notchiness I'm feeling. But I figured I'd just throw out my experience with it so far. Worth the $600? As of right now no.
        We can compare it to my cars, which have AS Autocross 25% kit (factory manual) and AS standard 20% kit (manual swap) with the stock broomstick. I’m in central Austin (Mueller).
        Silver Track to Street Car Journal
        Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
          People complaining about how the AS kit feels regardless of model or % reduction need to get rid of their ZHP knob first. Try the oem broom stick or the weighted broomstick knob. That made my experience night and day.. Zhp knob is too short and ruins the experience.
          I agree with this. My kit didn't feel great with the ZHP knob. Much happier with a stock height knob.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Are you guys using an aftermarket poly rear carrier bushing or the OEM one? One of these kits will be going in (replacing a RTD) soon and I want to make it as smooth as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmans View Post
              Are you guys using an aftermarket poly rear carrier bushing or the OEM one? One of these kits will be going in (replacing a RTD) soon and I want to make it as smooth as possible.
              OEM. My rear carrier ripped out of my chassis and I wouldn't be surprised if the poly bushing I was using at the time contributed to this.

Edit: just remembered terra had the same thing happen with the same poly bushing: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...3328#post23328

I know that doesn't prove anything, but seems fishy
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Maybe I'm crazy since everyone says the stock shifter setup is sloppy. But I've been through a few different short shifters now and they never feel right (although I haven't yet tried a 0% reduction AS kit). I went through a while ago and replaced every bushing with new OEM and a new OEM lever and it feels perfect. The right amount of shift effort, really not very much play etc. I'm not sure I'd ever go back to an aftermarket setup now.

Comment

In an effort to reduce play in the OEM shifter I installed the Turner polyurethane rear shifter arm carrier bushing and Powerflex front carrier arm bushing. I could barely get the car into second gear when the tranny was cold. What I failed to consider was that the rear bushing is attached to the car whereas the front is attached to the tranny. So if I were to run solid tranny and engine mounts this setup would most likely work, but I have new OEM mounts. I swapped out the rear Turner bushing to a new OEM and the difference was immediate. The OEM rear bushing allows for play (flex), unlike the poly bushing., which is needed when OEM engine and tranny mounts are used. I did not remove the Powerflex front carrier arm bushing. Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Just out of curiosity… what’s making you replace the RTD shifter?

My M is a weekend driver and lately I’ve been thinking of upgrading the shifter and have been contemplating RTD vs AS. I’m def leaning AS because I don’t want to take away from the interior but would be curious to get your thoughts on removing the RTD.

Comment

I’ve got an A/S auto-x in my ZF 5 spd and a taller Jaffster lever.

I like the taller than stock lever as it’s closer to the wheel. This more or less cancels the shorter throw, but the increased precision and similar-to-stock effort is really nice.

I’ll try the same set up with a 420g. Hopefully it’ll be about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by jrgatfh View Post

Just out of curiosity… what’s making you replace the RTD shifter?

My M is a weekend driver and lately I’ve been thinking of upgrading the shifter and have been contemplating RTD vs AS. I’m def leaning AS because I don’t want to take away from the interior but would be curious to get your thoughts on removing the RTD.
                        The RTD is great on track because of the spring but it's just overkill on the road. It transmits a bunch of nasty NVH and the downshift from 3rd to 2nd is awkward. On balance I'd like a quieter smoother shift for the road again since I took my car too far towards track stuff and it's annoying now.

Comment

Working...
                        X