Karbonius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I'm running an OEM CSL airbox, with the race style dirty side. I've logged AITs-- by ~10mph my intake temps are ~ambient. In all of first gear I'm traction limited either way, so I don't really care if I'm making less power 0-10mph due to high intake temps. Drivability is fine.

Combined, I have zero desire to switch to the flap. Less noise, more weight, more complexity, more failure points (especially as the flap motor seems to be a ~50,000 mile wear item, based on the CSL forums), in exchange for a benefit that I don't feel like can be realized. IMO BMW put it on the CSL for the exact reason they stated them did-- noise control, to allow the car to be legal to sell. I don't want to reduce airbox noise
    Where did you located your AIT on the oem/race snorkel set up? If you record ambient temp above 10mph, there isn’t really much benefit of having the routed air ducts to the intake of snorkel then?

Comment

Originally posted by CheckA View Post

Where did you located your AIT on the oem/race snorkel set up? If you record ambient temp above 10mph, there isn’t really much benefit of having the routed air ducts to the intake of snorkel then?
      That's why I'm not running the ducts.

It's in the OE location on the clean side of the filter. Not the best picture, but the first one I found in my library where you can see it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1319.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	108317

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I'm running an OEM CSL airbox, with the race style dirty side. I've logged AITs-- by ~10mph my intake temps are ~ambient. In all of first gear I'm traction limited either way, so I don't really care if I'm making less power 0-10mph due to high intake temps. Drivability is fine.

Combined, I have zero desire to switch to the flap. Less noise, more weight, more complexity, more failure points (especially as the flap motor seems to be a ~50,000 mile wear item, based on the CSL forums), in exchange for a benefit that I don't feel like can be realized. IMO BMW put it on the CSL for the exact reason they stated them did-- noise control, to allow the car to be legal to sell. I don't want to reduce airbox noise
        Yeah, the flap is a pretty significant contributor to the complexity of the project too. I put in all the effort to add it in and now I have it programmed to be always open in sport mode (both modes have throttle pedal remapped to my preference, which is basically linear). There is no drivability difference compared to my comfort mode, which uses stock CSL sport mode flap settings. At least two local shops who see a lot of conversions have been really impressed with how well it drives ... I put it down to the PCS tune and MAP sensor. I always run the car in flap open mode, so it was kind of a waste of effort. I'd do the race style next time and skip modifying the DME and adding the extra wiring.

So the only cold air ducting you run is the kidney grille piece? Nothing from the fake brake duct area?

Comment

Originally posted by Stack View Post
          I emailed them

The race box is just has a built in snorkel
          Instead of adding one it’s 1 piece

I see ECS has the race box cheaper 🤫

I went with a regular version awaiting the batch from IND

AP Motorsport in the UK has them in stock
          I’ve emailed them as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          This the one you’re referring to?
          E46 M3 CSL Race Airbox V2 made by Karbonius - New for 2020. This is by far the best Carbon Fibre Airbox we have seen and dealt with in the past and the attention to detail is very similar to the Genuine BMW AG E46 M3 CSL Airbox supplied by BMW, manufactured by Die Wethje. These boxes are made from the finest quality Pre-preg carbon fibre 2 x 2 twill material which when completed makes these boxes ultra light and rigid.After the moulding process is finished in the state of the art Aluminium mould the part is then left in the Autoclave and this process is the finishing touches to a truly superb piece. The 'M Power' sticker is supplied with the Airbox. Option 1Plastic trumpets version: This is the same airbox but with plastic trumpets (same as the OEM CSL). This goes with 2 year warranty. Airbox is cured in autoclave at 120ºC and 3 BAR prssure. Full carbon trumpets: This piece comes with 5 year warranty. Airbox is cured in autoclave at 135ºC and 5 BAR pressure and has 1 extra varnish coat applied. Option 2ITG Filter: Germany has claimed 2 BHP more with this filter, and it's preoiled and washableOEM CSL: Genuine BMW M3 CSL Air filter. Manufactured by BMC - 13727838625 Option 3Fitting this CSL Airbox you need the following parts from BMW to fit both Manual & SMG E46 M3s. Air Valve shut off - 1x 11617833647 CSL Crank Case Vent Hose - 1x 11157833649 CSL IAT Sensor - 1x 13621739510 2 pole socket housing for CSL IAT Sensor - 1x 12521427615 90 deg protective boot for 2 pole socket housing - 1x 12521732635 Option 4No Dipstick - Use your standard OEM M3. Must require bending into shape to avoid contact with CSL Airbox.Genuine BMW OEM CSL Dipstick. This is short and fits underneath your airbox. Comes as 2 parts - Guide tube & Dipstick -1x 11437834784 & 1x 11437833653 SMG Vehicles: You can purchase the SMG tank and bracket seperately >>HERE<< If you prefer your Karbonius Airbox to be manufctured in 1x1 carbon twill (instead of the standard 2x2 weave) then please message us after ordering. This is a FREE alternative. If you require additional parts such as air feed components for CSL Front Bumpers or Control Unit flap to be operational then please get in contact with us...... E46AD03

Comment

I was just told they will have 1 or 2 of them available in 3-4 weeks. Unless someone buys them now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattn1192 View Post

This the one you’re referring to?
              https://www.apmotorsport.co.uk/produ...bonius-v2-race
              Yes they had the v1 version and the race version last time I spoke to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I must admit I did the flap mostly because I thought it would be neat to have it functional and I needed a project, but I did remember feeling a little better response off the line with the flap closed until about 3Kish where I have it set.
                I might be fooling myself though just so I can tell myself it was worthwhile to string 5 more wires to the DME, who knows. My memory can't be trusted sometimes unfortunately.
                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Yeah, the flap is a pretty significant contributor to the complexity of the project too. I put in all the effort to add it in and now I have it programmed to be always open in sport mode (both modes have throttle pedal remapped to my preference, which is basically linear). There is no drivability difference compared to my comfort mode, which uses stock CSL sport mode flap settings. At least two local shops who see a lot of conversions have been really impressed with how well it drives ... I put it down to the PCS tune and MAP sensor. I always run the car in flap open mode, so it was kind of a waste of effort. I'd do the race style next time and skip modifying the DME and adding the extra wiring.

So the only cold air ducting you run is the kidney grille piece? Nothing from the fake brake duct area?
                  Correct, the only duct I'm running is the kidney duct. My brake ducts are 100% functional brake ducts, that do nothing else :P

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_24482.jpg Views:	8 Size:	99.7 KB ID:	108506

Name:	asdfa.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	108508

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

When buying a CSL airbox from Karbonius, you don’t HAVE to buy a snorkel right?

Comment

When buying a CSL airbox from Karbonius, you don’t HAVE to buy a snorkel right?
                      Correct.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Correct.
                        Will it still run as strong without it?

Comment

Will it still run as strong without it?
                          Even with a non-CSL bumper I would think that the snorkel or Race version of the airbox would run a bit cooler, this is one reason I sold my Turner box.
                          Even with a US bumper and not creating any sort of ducting the Snorkel is ~8" from the top hole on the brake duct so can't help but think this would aid in getting cooler air to the engine. So in MY mind the snorkel with or without the flap or race version would be better than the standard version without the snorkel as far as IATs go.

It would be interesting to log IATs with and without snorkel on a US bumper.

Also, here is some shots of the CSL ducting just because.

Name:	Screenshot_20210602-090854_Office Mobile.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	108523 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210602-090906_Office Mobile.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	108524

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                            So in MY mind the snorkel with or without the flap or race version would be better than the standard version without the snorkel as far as IATs go.
                            Plus it looks better
                            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I saw some posts saying that you get more sound from the OEM filter than the ITG filter. Any truth to that?

Comment

I saw some posts saying that you get more sound from the OEM filter than the ITG filter. Any truth to that?
                                I started with ITG and now run OEM filter and haven't noticed a difference.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X