If you ever had to replace your e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmw View Post
    [*]I have 4.3 Vantage, which is now worth less than a sorted 46 M3. This car is absolutely fantastic to drive, in part because it is not very fast, but is so loud and engaging to drive it feels much faster than it is. Easy to maintain and lots of support on the forums - I really think the best buy right now in older sport cars.[/LIST]
    A lot of the English cars depreciate so much they become a no-brainer. I had a 97 XJS 4.0 with the AJ16 years ago. One of the most reliable and all around enjoyable (Highway) cars to drive that I've owned. I think between my wife and I, we put around 50K miles on it and all I did was oil/filters/plugs. Been looking at the AM's for my wife. Interesting engine with the Dry Sump, and all of the AM in house mods.

Comment

Original NSX! Such fantastic design and an engineering masterpiece. But would keep the M3 for the 4 seat practicality (kids) and induction noise (have a eventuri)
      Any one share their perspective on e46 M3 vs NA1 or NA2 NSX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cayman S 987, or another E46 M3. Or both.

Comment

At the same price point, I don't think there is a great replacement option.
          997.3 GT3, 981 GT4, 718 GTS...would still miss the E46M3 though

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post

I was referring to the 997.2 turbo. I know they kept the Mezger in the GTn cars, but I thought they used the new engine in the .2 Turbo for some reason.
            You're right.
            997.1 Carreras had the early old school IMS engine,
            997.2 Carreras went to DFI, although there are stories of bore scoring on these.

The Turbo's: 997.1 had the earlier Mezger engine,
            997.2 Turbo got a new engine.
            Though there is apparently a "holy grail" in-between of a late 997.1 Turbo with the Mezger engine but with the facelifted .2 interior and PCM.

The more I keep window-shopping for new cars and driving my own the more I find newer cars to be completely soulless. Engineered to please everyone and ace all markets they end up as a jack of all trades, master of none, with soulless sound and interiors due to cost saving and legislation killing any valid variations which would make cars fun (with a few notable exceptions).

For me I think I'd regress and go back in time to an older car, either air-cooled Porsche or some fun old car and accept that life isn't about 0-60 times rather than the fun getting there, rowing gears and listening to a fantastic induction and exhaust sound. Let the car's soul make me smile, not the acceleration, all manufacturers now seem to find all sorts of intricate ways to make the new model faster than the previous but I no longer want to play the numbers game.

My .02 cents
            Regards

Comment

I have just sold my 4th M3, I am in touch with all new owners. They are keeping them. I have not heard of anyone looking at a 135i. About the same size but turbo engine gives torque so you are not having to rev the car like crazy just driving on the street. I have kept 2 cars and won't sell them. A 97 318i with 418ci LS swap. Makes any other car seem really slow. As well I have my 2006 Cadillac CTSV. I was used to driving that when I got my first M3. Took a long time to realize you need to drive the M3 at over 3500 rpm to get any performance. The V has torque all over, carries luggage and 4 people in comfort yet by today's standards is pretty slow. 400hp today is nothing! I still enjoy it. As well I do have a 2016 ATSV manual coupe rarest car I own. It is OK but I just can't get excited about it.

Comment

Torque is the primary reason I find the e39 M5 boring to drive compared to the M3s. No involvement to get the power, just mat the throttle any time. Similar to EVs, turbos, and automatics 😴

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I tried to replace my previous m3 with a GT350. Worse decision ever. 6months later end up trading the GT350 for my current M3.
                  06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post
                    I tried to replace my previous m3 with a GT350. Worse decision ever. 6months later end up trading the GT350 for my current M3.
                    So, you're gonna have to elaborate on that one. I can't find a good GT350 to drive out here so some input would be nice. Another member on the old forum didn't care for the GT350 either and I just can't wrap my head around how it could be a bad car.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

So, you're gonna have to elaborate on that one. I can't find a good GT350 to drive out here so some input would be nice. Another member on the old forum didn't care for the GT350 either and I just can't wrap my head around how it could be a bad car.
                      I did buy the car without test driven it (bought it when they first came out). To me it just felt like a boat, electric steering sucked, cheap interior and just felt i was not connected to the road. It did sound great though.
                      06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

That's too bad. ~$50K for a low miles 2016 GT350 has made me think about picking one up.

Comment

i agree. i hate sh!t posters like the guy about 'id only buy a vert to part it out' the funny thing about it is...i own a E60 M5 and a E39 M5 but i bought the E46 convertible purposefully because it was exactly what i wanted. i hope this forum keeps its specialness. lord knows when i had my multiple E36 M3s the E36 related forums were full of idiots with more bad takes and unwanted opinions than brains...

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

I'm in a convertible and on the old forum I noticed in some of the early years (I wasn't a member then) there was definitely a group of dummies who just couldn't help but chime in at every opportunity (see like poster just above who just had to throw in I would only buy vert to part it out, ugh, ok thanks). It seems most everyone on this forum is an actual adult who can have civil conversation and disagreements. Plus the reality is that many of us own, or have access to, multiple sports cars, so it isn't as if we don't know what we have. I love the coupe and convertible body styles and they share an overwhelming number of mechanical parts so at this juncture we all know the rigidity, weight, and therefore handling differences but if it bothered us we wouldn't have bought a vert.

I've said it many times but this forum is special. This is a community where the guys who run it aren't simply looking to make a buck and we are all lucky to have each other to bounce ideas off of. Everyone here has something to offer and that is a cool thing.

Comment

my buddy bought one....we took that and my E46 M3 to Laguna Seca.

I HATED DRIVING the GT350. the front end seems like it goes on forever. its really floaty on the stock suspension (compared to my KWV3s), the steering was uninspiring and i abhor the interior quality, materials, fit & finish. it was fast af though and the engine sounds amazing. whenever he'd offer to let me drive it again i politely declined. just wasn't for me. he sold it pretty soon after though. went into Merc AMG cars after that...

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post

I did buy the car without test driven it (bought it when they first came out). To me it just felt like a boat, electric steering sucked, cheap interior and just felt i was not connected to the road. It did sound great though.

Comment

Oh boy, lotta hate for the GT350. Ugh. Maybe I'm rushing into this. Last thing I need is to buy a GT350 only to come back to M3's in the 60k range. Wish I could find one out here I could drive first.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Oh boy, lotta hate for the GT350. Ugh. Maybe I'm rushing into this. Last thing I need is to buy a GT350 only to come back to M3's in the 60k range. Wish I could find one out here I could drive first.
                                Don't be too worried, IMO these things are absolute bargains. I have a GT350R and in terms of driving experience its almost as good as 991.2 manual GT3 (I use them both on\off track). I don't see what else can touch it anywhere near the price. R might be a bit much for road use, but just goes to show that suspension\tire setup is everything when you're judging a car's handling. A boat is the last word I would use to describe that car.

I think a nicely setup standard GT350 with backseats would make an awesome daily, I could go on forever about how great these things are...

It is very different from a E46 of course...depends what you're goals are
                                Last edited by lapoune; 04-19-2021, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X