If you ever had to replace your e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Hardly more practical! Back seat fits people significantly worse and the trunk is much smaller.
    Great point! I guess I meant practical in the sense that you would be driving a new, warrantied car with much better MPG

Comment

through a random conversation with some acquaintances i chanced upon a bone stock mechanically pampered s2000 for a bargain and I couldn't pass it up.

probably still in the honeymoon phase of car ownership, but the s2000 is hands down the funner car to drive/enjoy than the M3 at legal speeds. my current thinking is that the m3 will be the one that gets sold if i need to clear a garage space in the future.

Comment

Once they’re in a front loading seat (~2 years old), it’s actually easier to load them in a coupe than 4 door because of the straight on loading angle.
        Interesting! Great to know thanks. Guess I’ll just have to keep it and supercharge it 😁.

Comment

911 turbo doesn’t do it for me at all. I understand they’re fast, but the sound and powerband is so... boring. I’d rather get an “s” 911 than a turbo... though really it’s only the GT cars that appeal to me.
          Sometimes I feel the same way about the Turbo. The stock exhaust is truly awful on those but when they're opened up they sound really good imo. Flat 6 Scream + Aggressive Turbo Spooling noises = great fun. Plus the styling on the 991.2 is killer.

On the other hand the GT3 is basically perfect in every way and comes in manual. I really can't decide but thankfully I can't afford either
          2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

The more I think about this, I wonder if even the base model 997.2 + could be equally rewarding as our M3. Difficult finding support for it as most articles focus on the more powerful S models.

The base 09 911 has 345 hp and no IMS worries, mid 4 sec 0-60, same driving dynamics, engine doesn't scream like a Metzger, but its every bit as good as any other flat-six.

Truth be told, I'd probably swap keys for a base 997.2 6MT.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Base 997.2 is actually a good comparison.

BTW, add proper headers to those and they will have a similar sound to GT3s. The stock headers on those cars are pretty bad.

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Pretty sure you're not gonna find a clean one for that at the moment. A high milage sh!t box with triptronic, sure. But honestly, since the new 911's came out, I have zero interest in a 996 turbo anymore and I think the market will follow once those hit the used market, they are just so much more car compared to the 996 and in this case, both are turbo and the playing field is level unless you really want the cursive "Turbo" written on the back.
                Dang, looks like it’s a basic bitch 997.2 911 or s model. Porsche market is ridiculous

Comment

It's hard to beat the 997, just for being three hundred pounds lighter alone. At the same time, I find comparisons between the M3 and 911 apples and oranges. They have very different personalities. I think the GT350 is the closest spiritual successor to the M3 of old, except it seems too fat for a back road. Get it on the track though....
                  Last edited by 01SG; 04-15-2021, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nihilation View Post
                    The more I think about this, I wonder if even the base model 997.2 + could be equally rewarding as our M3. Difficult finding support for it as most articles focus on the more powerful S models.

The base 09 911 has 345 hp and no IMS worries, mid 4 sec 0-60, same driving dynamics, engine doesn't scream like a Metzger, but its every bit as good as any other flat-six.

Truth be told, I'd probably swap keys for a base 997.2 6MT.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
                    I don’t follow the water cooled stuff to much but I don’t think the 997.2 has the Mezger. I think they went with a newer engine but I could be wrong. (Regarding the turbo engine)

sorry I re read your post and realize that you were not implying the .2 had the Mezger. But totally agree on the sound of the Mezger engine. Personally I’d take the .1 over the . 2 just because I’ve lived with the Mezger for most of my life. Not saying it’s better or worse, I just like the history.
                    Last edited by Flat-Six; 04-15-2021, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post

I don’t follow the water cooled stuff to much but I don’t think the 997.2 has the Mezger. I think they went with a newer engine but I could be wrong.
                      997.2 GT3 still runs the Mezger, but the non-GT 997.2 runs the newer DI motor.

Comment

I don't think there is a "replacement" for the E46 M3. Unique cars which will continue to go up in value.
                        I have or currently own a few others being discussed here, just a few thoughts
                        • The E46 M3 is very fun to drive in part because of the imbalance (in my opinion, at least) between the engine and the rest of the car. The car is overpowered, and this makes it feel a bit mental. Especially with SMG in S5/S6, near redline the thing just hammers in the shifts which feels like a bolt to the back of your head, just unhinged enough to make it so fun to drive.
                        • I have a 6MT 997.1 S, this car is so well balanced between engine and chassis that is relatively boring to drive in comparison to the M3. With E46 M3s now hitting 50-60K, an equivalent 60K 997 might be more fun to own (they do look cool) but won't be more fun to drive.
                        • I have 4.3 Vantage, which is now worth less than a sorted 46 M3. This car is absolutely fantastic to drive, in part because it is not very fast, but is so loud and engaging to drive it feels much faster than it is. Easy to maintain and lots of support on the forums - I really think the best buy right now in older sport cars.
                        Last edited by bmw; 04-15-2021, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post

I don’t follow the water cooled stuff to much but I don’t think the 997.2 has the Mezger. I think they went with a newer engine but I could be wrong. (Regarding the turbo engine)
                          Correct. The 997.2 turbo has the defi block. The 997.1 still had the Mezger Motor with dry sump.
                          If you want a 997 turbo, the .1 is the way to go.

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmw View Post
                            [*]I have 4.3 Vantage, which is now worth less than a sorted 46 M3. This car is absolutely fantastic to drive, in part because it is not very fast, but is so loud and engaging to drive it feels much faster than it is. Easy to maintain and lots of support on the forums - I really think the best buy right now in older sport cars.[/LIST]
                            Quiet you. I'm sweating over here waiting for the price to surge before i get my hands on one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jickel180 View Post

997.2 GT3 still runs the Mezger, but the non-GT 997.2 runs the newer DI motor.
                              I was referring to the 997.2 turbo. I know they kept the Mezger in the GTn cars, but I thought they used the new engine in the .2 Turbo for some reason.

Comment

Another E46 M3 for sure. Agreed on all comments about <$100K cars, not much to be excited about honestly.

My perfect garage (right now) would be:

ND2 Miata RF
                                E46M3
                                997 GT3 (Preferably .1RS with .2RS R&P gearing and a 3.9/4.1 Sharkwerks Built Motor)

If I have more funds:
                                McLaren 675LT
                                00/01 Lamborghini Diablo VT6.0

Comment

Working...
                                X