If you ever had to replace your e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

censored
    Last edited by poss; 04-23-2021, 08:26 AM.

Comment

censored
      Last edited by poss; 04-23-2021, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I don't think I could straight-up "replace" my M3. I love it too much and nothing else quite ticks every single box like the E46. It's a true "jack of all trades". However, I would like to add an E60 M5 6-Speed (in Alpine White of course ) and either a 991.2 Turbo S or Manual GT3 one day. The E60 M5 is by far my favorite M5 and was the first fast car I've ever ridden in. The 991.2 Turbo S is probably the most beautiful Porsche ever made, and a manual GT3 probably offers the best driving experience short of a Carrera GT. I believe this is obtainable in my 30's if I keep grinding the next 10-15 years.

2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Cayman GT4, M2 CS (manual)

Comment

Originally posted by ViN View Post
            Cayman GT4, M2 CS (manual)
            I was about to type this same response! Haha.

My realistic (i.e. close in cost) replacement would be a Cayman GTS though.
            2006 BMW M3 ZCP

Comment

To me the closest match performance to price, utilitarian option would be a 996 turbo. Last I checked those were going for around $40k which is just a screaming deal. It’s uglier inside and out than the 997’s but you can dd, track and road trip it so it fits my use perfectly. I’ve started using my M as more of a pleasure vehicle but the awd on the turbo would be clutch if I wanted to go skiing when it’s storming in the mountains.

From a purely drivers car I’d like to get into a gt4 but the sacrifices in utility ramp up sharply and they are significantly more expensive than the 996tt.

Comment

911 turbo doesn’t do it for me at all. I understand they’re fast, but the sound and powerband is so... boring. I’d rather get an “s” 911 than a turbo... though really it’s only the GT cars that appeal to me.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I use my M3 the same way I do my air-cooled 911, so for me, I could live with either. The M3 is a bit heavier then my 911, not as quick, or as fun, but it's darn close, 90% there for me. I like both engines equally, and that's a big deal for me. If had to dump both of those, don't think I could find anything to replace them for what they do for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BlAikenstein View Post
                    To me the closest match performance to price, utilitarian option would be a 996 turbo. Last I checked those were going for around $40k which is just a screaming deal.t.
                    Pretty sure you're not gonna find a clean one for that at the moment. A high milage sh!t box with triptronic, sure. But honestly, since the new 911's came out, I have zero interest in a 996 turbo anymore and I think the market will follow once those hit the used market, they are just so much more car compared to the 996 and in this case, both are turbo and the playing field is level unless you really want the cursive "Turbo" written on the back.

Comment

This is a timely thread for me as I'm contemplating what to do with the E46. We have a little one on the way and I don't think I want to deal with crawling in and out of the back seat. I've been thinking about a CPO F80 M3C as a replacement... Warranty and a new-ish car will give me peace of mind. Manual (a must), plenty of power and not a porker for today's standards. Could I keep the E46 and pick up an F80? Sure but I'm trying to avoid having a car payment so the plan would be to sell the E46 and put cash on top. Suggestions are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerbimmer View Post
                        This is a timely thread for me as I'm contemplating what to do with the E46. We have a little one on the way and I don't think I want to deal with crawling in and out of the back seat. I've been thinking about a CPO F80 M3C as a replacement... Warranty and a new-ish car will give me peace of mind. Manual (a must), plenty of power and not a porker for today's standards. Could I keep the E46 and pick up an F80? Sure but I'm trying to avoid having a car payment so the plan would be to sell the E46 and put cash on top. Suggestions are welcome.
                        Once they’re in a front loading seat (~2 years old), it’s actually easier to load them in a coupe than 4 door because of the straight on loading angle.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I know this is probably blasphemous around here but I truly think the new brz/86 will be a good replacement for the e46. You are trading the lust factor for some reliability and practicality but other than that, the platform ticks most of the same boxes for me. Unfortunately, I weigh the lust factor pretty heavily and would never make that switch.

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
                            I know this is probably blasphemous around here but I truly think the new brz/86 will be a good replacement for the e46. You are trading the lust factor for some reliability and practicality but other than that, the platform ticks most of the same boxes for me. Unfortunately, I weigh the lust factor pretty heavily and would never make that switch.
                            I just sold 3 weeks ago my 2013 Scion FRS, bought it in October 2020 as a winter beater. It’s a fun little car. Lightweight, shifter is tight compare to E46 M3, driving position is better than E46 M3.

I now daily one of my E46 M3 again and I really appreciate the sound deadening, no rattle, Harman Kardon sound system and the sound of the S54! It’s fun sometimes to drive something else to make you appreciate what you have!!!
                            2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/M-Texture 6mt
                            2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                            2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
                              Hardly more practical! Back seat fits people significantly worse and the trunk is much smaller.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Once they’re in a front loading seat (~2 years old), it’s actually easier to load them in a coupe than 4 door because of the straight on loading angle.
                                This too. Can get my 2 yr old into the M3 quicker than our Pilot. BMW got so much right with this car.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X