No announcement yet.

If you ever had to replace your e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally hoping to keep both my M3 and 530i long enough that if/when I replace them, buying any gasoline-powered car is generally impractical.

If I lost the M3 tomorrow and had to replace it with something...honestly have no idea and would probably go with something fun and cheap...
    E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post

I too had one but mine was a 1987. I freaking loved it, well expect going over bumps in the rain on an exit ramp and the solid rear-end would cause you to poot.
      Ahh yes it truly is a testament to who really is a good driver or not. What surprised me the most was the fact that the “weak” T5 was fairly strong (at least for base hp ratings) and I did burnout after burnout and it still held up well. Not surprised that the people online who claimed they broke very easily slammed every single gear at every given chance.

Comment

My m3 is going to a new owner soon, I had a Lotus Elise before the M3 and a NA exige might work they are very special cars, but I think any year 911 is what is going to actually happen. The money I put into my m3 if used on “any” 911 will totally fit the bill. Of course the cost of entry is lots higher.

Comment

either an Lexus LC500 convertible (red on caramel) or a later model year Gallardo Sypder (hopefully manual) - my E46 is a vert and id only replace it with another vert

Comment

I like it that people here don't shame the convertible M3s. I really like mine and wouldn't want it any other way. It's a well made cabrio. Fun, sounds good, handles well. I don't track or race. But even on twisty roads not too many can follow this car

Comment

100%

when i was searching for my E46 M3, i was searching nationally for a vert. ive always wanted this car specifically as a vert. i have taken it to the track a few times though (but just messing around). nothin better than driving that car with the top down up in the SoCal canyons hearing that engine scream....ugh, just amazing.

Originally posted by why_m3 View Post
              I like it that people here don't shame the convertible M3s. I really like mine and wouldn't want it any other way. It's a well made cabrio. Fun, sounds good, handles well. I don't track or race. But even on twisty roads not too many can follow this car

Comment

I’d only buy a vert to part it out.

Comment

Originally posted by umichchris View Post
                  100%

when i was searching for my E46 M3, i was searching nationally for a vert. ive always wanted this car specifically as a vert. i have taken it to the track a few times though (but just messing around). nothin better than driving that car with the top down up in the SoCal canyons hearing that engine scream....ugh, just amazing.

I wanted a vert when i was looking, but found my coupe. Now i still want the vert, but refuse to part with the coupe haha. If anyone knows a good way to convince my wife that we need two M3’s, id love to know

Comment

Originally posted by why_m3 View Post
                    I definitely agree, I do appreciate that people here are welcoming about the convertibles, gives that extra sense of community. Agreed on not having it any other way and the characteristics. Track wise, it does really well. Also, I've met so many cool people because of it that I wouldn't have if I had gone with something else.
                    | 06 6 Speed Vert - JB on Cinnamon| Beisan | ACL Rod Bearings | ST Sway Bar | TMS CSL Box | Megan headers | H.T.E Tune | 550 Injectors | OEM Section 1, 2, 3| 200 Cell Cats | OEM SSK | Bilstein B12| 712 yellow tag |

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I have had an LMB e39 M5 for the last ~decade... and it’s no where near the driving experience of the e46 M3. 600 lbs heavier, worse steering (though not EPS bad), less rewarding engine, sloppy handling (way more comfort oriented). It’s really good at what it is, but in no way is it an M3 replacement.

... it is a nice M3 complement 😜
                      Yup, I concur.

About the only car I'd replace E46 M3 with would be an R33 GT-R. The rest are way more $$ or just not the same format.
                      BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by siamkazi View Post

I definitely agree, I do appreciate that people here are welcoming about the convertibles, gives that extra sense of community. Agreed on not having it any other way and the characteristics. Track wise, it does really well. Also, I've met so many cool people because of it that I wouldn't have if I had gone with something else.
                        I'm in a convertible and on the old forum I noticed in some of the early years (I wasn't a member then) there was definitely a group of dummies who just couldn't help but chime in at every opportunity (see like poster just above who just had to throw in I would only buy vert to part it out, ugh, ok thanks). It seems most everyone on this forum is an actual adult who can have civil conversation and disagreements. Plus the reality is that many of us own, or have access to, multiple sports cars, so it isn't as if we don't know what we have. I love the coupe and convertible body styles and they share an overwhelming number of mechanical parts so at this juncture we all know the rigidity, weight, and therefore handling differences but if it bothered us we wouldn't have bought a vert.

I've said it many times but this forum is special. This is a community where the guys who run it aren't simply looking to make a buck and we are all lucky to have each other to bounce ideas off of. Everyone here has something to offer and that is a cool thing.
                        Last edited by oceansize; 04-13-2021, 05:26 PM.
                        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

Yup, I concur.

About the only car I'd replace E46 M3 with would be an R33 GT-R. The rest are way more $$ or just not the same format.
                          I wish the Porsche 718 spyder wasn't so expensive. 400 NA HP, manual, open roof. It ticks a lot of boxes for me but it is on the expensive side. I've read the gearing is a little weird but I'd probably get the PDK if that is the case (I think they released that version now).
                          Last edited by oceansize; 04-13-2021, 03:25 PM.
                          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

I wish the Porsche 718 spyder wasn't so expensive. 400 NA HP, manual, open roof. It ticks a lot of boxes for me but it is on the expensive side. I've read the gearing is a little weird but I'd probably get the PDK if that is the case (I think they released that version now).
                            Right, but not being the same format I meant 2+2 Coupe. 718 spyder fails on both counts 2 seaters have way less versatility.
                            BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I've owned mine for 6 years and I got it for a steal.$15k @ 60k miles. It's also the second car I've ever owned and the first car I paid for so it's very sentimental to me. I don't plan on selling it ever especially since I have a fun daily too. If I had to though, probably a GT3 or more reasonably an E92 M3 - 6 speed - carbon roof. Something special about M3s, I'd have to trade it for another M car it's only right.
                              Last edited by m3_dylan; 04-13-2021, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by umichchris View Post
                                100%

... or through the Georgia pines... jeez... top down, radio off... “let’s have a little fun; shall we?”

maw
                                Last edited by maw1124; 04-13-2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X