Interest in: 1:1 CSL 1 Piece Forged Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
    I didn’t say it was a bad price. I simply wanted to know if they can be had for less as I just don’t want to sink more money into my car but may consider them over VMRs
    If you want VMR 703's, it's what's on my car right now. The sizing is an exact spec to the CSL wheels, offset and width. I'd sell them for $1000 including tires, which have PS4's.

Comment

Can I get a quick recap of the location of the foundry, I see they are expected to be about $3000 a set depending on finish, and the lead time will be how many weeks? These look really nice. A brushed clear or machined metal finish would be sick. Pricing is competitive for forged 19s if you look at someone like Augment as a comparison.
      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

The CSL set is prototyped in Taiwan, it will be painted here. It will be certified by 3rd party homologation.

I can get them made in the US as I am doing now on the M359s. I just don't think there's a market for a 6,000$ monoblock forged wheel.

All are 10,000 ton forged as of now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	72368904935__FEA57E33-03F9-43B4-8DE7-6FF32C7DCEC2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.0 KB ID:	244931
        Last edited by Epoustouflant; 12-08-2023, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
          I may bypass the BBS CH's when these are released, $3,000 isn't a bad price at all especially with the convex faces. Patiently waiting.
          It's no BBS - but there's definitely more wheel for the money here.

I have the CHRs on the E60, I like the center cap, I hate the weight!

Originally posted by C///M View Post
          In my opinion, obviously size-dependant, but anything under $1k retail per wheel for a 1-piece forged wheel that is good quality without having crazy optimization is a pretty good deal.

Granted a lot can still be made about quality/etc, but even though a lot of forged wheels have good margins, around $3k is a good retail price for a low volume wheel run.
          Agreed. The biggest variance will come in the finishes.

Achieving the OEM Dekra Silver or M3 V8's Hypersilver is only achievable here, and painted finishes will be sprayed using an in-house developed primer combination that enhances durability from my testing on the V8.

Powdercoats will be performed in Asia.

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
          I'd pay 3k for a set in 18 inches. I already have a square rear OE CSL setup.

For comparison, 3k is about half the price of a Forgeline setup.
          Lots of interest in the 18s. It's something I plan on offering under a crowd-funding as the development is more involving, and not something I personally plan on running.

To your point on Forgeline, I agree. There's a premium to being US made, and I love Forgeline's transparency on load ratings.

It greatly influenced my decision to make a 800kg load rating. It won't have the weight numbers to make headlines, but chances are I won't have to offer a 50% off lifetime replacement program either.

Comment

Will there be a matte black finish offered like the M359? I have a brand new set of Matt black VMRs but the finish is really flat and I’m hesitant to install them on my PY. Would rather go with these than powder coating the VMRs
            2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
            2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
            2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
              Will there be a matte black finish offered like the M359? I have a brand new set of Matt black VMRs but the finish is really flat and I’m hesitant to install them on my PY. Would rather go with these than powder coating the VMRs
              Yes! Satin looks way better indeed. It's what we did on my V8's M359 flowformed that we resprayed to test the new painted finish and primer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9201.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.9 KB ID:	244941
              Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC9216.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.0 KB ID:	244942

I curbed them once, otherwise, no rock chips in 20,000km.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC8376.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	244945

Name:	_DSC8459.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	244943

Name:	_DSC8532.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	244944

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post
                All are 10,000 ton forged as of now.

This is what's important.

"finished" in the USA doesn't mean "forged" in the USA.

I can assure you most of the USA forged wheel companies are getting their forging from overseas, cause unless I'm mistaken there's only one wheel foundry in the US, and they only deal with companies like HRE and Forgeline.

APP produces high-performance forged wheels, engine blocks, pistons, and suspension components for top manufacturers including APP TECH, which finishes wheels for Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi, Alfa Romero, Aston Martin, Porsche, Pagani, McLaren, AMG, Koenigsegg, and BremboSPA (who produces motorcycle wheels for Ducati). Automotive Aftermarket clients include HRE, Forgeline, WELD Racing, COR International, WELD-CCW, Forgiato, and Asanti. Aftermarket motorcycle customers include RC Components and Performance Machine.
                APP is an international leader in closed and open die forgings of aluminum and titanium alloys. We are the largest producer of hard alloy aluminum forgings.
                2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Yes! Satin looks way better indeed. It's what we did on my V8's M359 flowformed that we resprayed to test the new painted finish and primer.

Okay sweet. Ill keep the VMRs in the box for
                  now then until these are finalized. Satin looks sweet on PY. Currently got a set of satin M359 on her and looking to go back to style 163s in black.
                  2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                  2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                  2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Yea TBH it doesn't really matter if they're made in Taiwan, Apex are all made in Taiwan/China and so are BimmerWorld/Titan7/Augment. That's how the cost is kept low, we get it. I think no one really even cares that much, and if they do, they buy something else and pay the price.

Anecdotally, I was not expecting to see Forgiato and Asanti on that list lol.
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post

This is what's important.

"finished" in the USA doesn't mean "forged" in the USA.

I can assure you most of the USA forged wheel companies are getting their forging from overseas, cause unless I'm mistaken there's only one wheel foundry in the US, and they only deal with companies like HRE and Forgeline.

https://www.aluminumprecision.com/about-app/
                      Correct, I dealt with COR a decade ago. AFAIK they were a group of guys from APP trying their own brand to go to market themselves. Take this with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                        Yea TBH it doesn't really matter if they're made in Taiwan, Apex are all made in Taiwan/China and so are BimmerWorld/Titan7/Augment. That's how the cost is kept low, we get it. I think no one really even cares that much, and if they do, they buy something else and pay the price.

Anecdotally, I was not expecting to see Forgiato and Asanti on that list lol.
                        What matters with most things made in China is 3rd party QA. Too many Chinese wheels are brought to market with purely FEA impact and bend analysis provided by the manufacturers themselves.

Comment

What matters with most things made in China is 3rd party QA. Too many Chinese wheels are brought to market with purely FEA impact and bend analysis provided by the manufacturers themselves.
                          For sure, I wouldn't blindly trust just any wheel that comes from China. But you know how some people are like CHINA BAD and I'm just saying you can get quality items made there too.
                          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

For sure, I wouldn't blindly trust just any wheel that comes from China. But you know how some people are like CHINA BAD and I'm just saying you can get quality items made there too.
                            From my personal experiences, E46 and E9x M3 products are genuinely all crap from them. China started doing good things with M cars on the F8x - because BMW M started having M Performance parts made there over Europe as they started bundling them into leases. The Chinese subcontractors leaked the molds when they were beyond BMW's tolerances.

China is still a morally dubious choice, we just have to pick our poison. Forged wheels and the Lipo4 batteries are the only 2 items I'm getting from China because they own those markets' manufacturing capacity.

Comment

Working...
                            X