• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQ13 check your emails.

New update here.

Attached Files

Comment

The *real* A07 Mystic Blue is here with a classic 300 Alpine white en prime.

2x others are at paint on Monday. Every passing day Rene feels better and recovering step by step from his accident.

He’s been grateful for you guys’ patience on this.

I posted a video of the latest diffusers here.
      Attached Files

Comment

Never got tracking for this but it showed up at my door today.

Packaged well, and secure in its box lined with styrofoam, and wrapped in foam and bubble wrap, but not entirely happy with this.

Smelled like fresh paint when I opened the box, Pinholes everywhere, paint looks “scratched” under neat the clear in some places around the paint line, small imperfection in one of the carbon attachment holes where clear is starting to lift already, couple places where it was not sanded smooth before paint so there are “bumps”.

While I realize some of this is hidden and not a big deal, I was excited to get this, but not willing to spend more to make this right, on top of another $200 COD to UPS. The imperfection in the carbon attachment hole, and clear peeling already, it will just peel further. To me it needs to be stripped and fully refinished unfortunately.

Can’t comment on fitment as my car is in storage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	33FCDFB8-B6E9-4DC1-B9AE-20F90E8806C2.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	194347 Click image for larger version

Name:	55D37888-230A-4A52-B8C1-8D3E9F3A7F6A.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	194351 Click image for larger version

Name:	6B278B5D-C7D3-469F-A8AB-21CD1C8AA279.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	194352 Click image for larger version

Name:	0DA6BF86-2889-4FDD-B05E-3A786DFCB626.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	194354 Click image for larger version

Name:	FAD2A6DE-7DB3-4AED-9F95-FF8DFD73993E.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	194353 Click image for larger version

Name:	996C2BE5-6B60-49A7-A5BF-35085843CEA6.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	194350 Click image for larger version

Name:	1B7A81B3-F2ED-422D-953C-D87FA37B23D1.jpg
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	194349 Click image for larger version

Name:	9B1D50EE-3FD3-4A90-97BF-B0A2A8DF8C22.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	194348 Click image for larger version

Name:	B4A69F8B-4403-4E89-AF73-098CCE669CB6.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	194339 Click image for larger version

Name:	56A2CFFD-C791-41D6-89A6-CEC9477A234B.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	194337 Click image for larger version

Name:	D954BD67-33E7-4F13-BCE3-1E281A8A42FF.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	194346 Click image for larger version

Name:	4BA196AD-B91D-41E2-87EC-31165CB05FAD.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	194344 Click image for larger version

Name:	03D384E1-C511-48E4-BAB6-E37053FDE869.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	194341 Click image for larger version

Name:	DCCD2C6F-8C55-4151-8AD4-A223DC200BAE.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	194338 Click image for larger version

Name:	5F06BB4D-42ED-4375-912F-1AAE775FCD3D.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	194340 Click image for larger version

Name:	03D384E1-C511-48E4-BAB6-E37053FDE869.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	194355 Click image for larger version

Name:	E15E0862-6948-4E5C-8470-E2DE6A819E7A.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	194342 Click image for larger version

Name:	13A1DCE7-875B-4D02-AB9D-9CD2BE1BB294.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	194343

Attached Files

Comment

Hey Jared,

Glad to hear you got your diffuser. Sorry to hear about the imperfections.

The issues you have isolated all appear to be solvable by a wet sand and polish - which René has covered for past imperfections on prior diffusers.

I can't discern the peeling from here. If you can take a few minutes to send over via email a video under lighting, I will chat with René on covering the repair.

---

As a PSA, and for those next in line, I want to take the time to remind why this happens, along with my recommendations on the paint match service according to your expectations.

I discussed this on the initial unbox here.

The nit picking:

There is some clear coat popping and I found 1x dust spec in the clear.

Search for it in the picture below.

Why it may happen, and how it's fixed.

René needs to balance the community's desire to get their hands on the product rapidly and finish quality. 2-component clear coats harden and continue evaporating solvents for over 30 days after application.

This is commonly called "outgassing". It's why most PPF installers & Ceramic Coating applicators require a 30 to 90 days waiting period after any resprayed body panels. It's also why you'll have a slight "paint" smell when unboxing the diffuser.

If this happens, René is usually cover on helping provide a solution local to you. I do recommend professionals do the correction. Last thing you won't is burning through the clear coat.

My bottom line of the value of the color matchpaint service.

The color matching service is offered by René at 70-100$ extra over the ready-to-spray primered option.

It's worth it [...] unless you're OCD about your paint and for things no one else but you will see.

This is me.

I ordered the paint service knowing all the above. I wanted to take you guys into the nitty gritty details.

The car will be getting fully resprayed and we plan on correcting the slight imperfections.​
          I also chatted about it again regarding the actual color match here. I knew it would be off on my car as it's been shoddily resprayed.

My 0.02$

I previously stated my opinion about the color match service in my unboxing impressions.

My opinion hasn't changed.

"1. If you are OCD, and know your car has been in an accident, resprayed or had aftermarket diffusers previously fitted, get the primer'ed version. Don't bother with DIY and drop this off at a body shop for paint & fitment.

2. If what you see here meets your goals (and your car wasn't due for the junkyard), get the color match option. It's less expensive, looks great, and is easily fitted."

Last edited by Epoustouflant; 11-30-2022, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post
            Hey Jared,

Glad to hear you got your diffuser. Sorry to hear about the imperfections.

The issues you have isolated all appear to be solvable by a wet sand and polish - which René has covered for past imperfections on prior diffusers.

I can't discern the peeling from here. If you can take a few minutes to send over via email a video under lighting, I will chat with René on covering the repair.

---

As a PSA, and for those next in line, I want to take the time to remind why this happens, along with my recommendations on the paint match service according to your expectations.

I discussed this on the initial unbox here.

I also chatted about it again regarding the actual color match here. I knew it would be off on my car as it's been shoddily resprayed.
            Most of my imperfections are not from the paint work itself, but from poor prep work. Good prep makes the entire difference as I’m sure you know.

The paint also has nothing to do with the chips and gouges in the pictures. Hidden or not, for the cost of a true 1:1, I call it unacceptable. Comparing to all the pictures of the others, I’m sure mine is an anomoly.

This piece won’t go on my car, as my old HBIN still looks better to be honest.

Disappointed to say the least, but hopefully something gets worked out.

A very good friend of mine is in charge of BMW body shop here, if I have time tomorrow, I will bring it down and see what he says.

Last edited by JaredU; 11-30-2022, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JaredU View Post

Most of my imperfections are not from the paint work itself, but from poor prep work. Good prep makes the entire difference as I’m sure you know.

The paint also has nothing to do with the chips and gouges in the pictures. Hidden or not, for the cost of a true 1:1, I call it unacceptable. Comparing to all the pictures of the others, I’m sure mine is an anomoly.

This piece won’t go on my car, as my old HBIN still looks better to be honest.

Disappointed to say the least, but hopefully something gets worked out.

A very good friend of mine is in charge of BMW body shop here, if I have time tomorrow, I will bring it down and see what he says.
              There are a few different issues, you're right on that. If I start numbering pictures using circled one.

001: is this a notch in the carbon outline?

002: pin holes on clear

003: dust specs

004: pin holes on clear

005: unsure

006: notch in outline? Seems like this got hit.

007: From my vantage point, this misapplied metallic flakes causing the "moustache" effect you're seeing. It's a common misapplication of metallic paint.

Overall, it's a poor spray job. I've answered your DM, let's go from there.

Comment

René is feeling better and has stepped up production to 3x a week. The next 3x will be next week.

These new CSL 1:1 diffusers showcase Alpine White, Carbon Black and ready-to-spray primer’ed all using OEM matching 1x1 carbon weave.​

Some of you changed to ready-to-spray primered, here's an example!

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2022-12-22 at 4.51.51 AM.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	197506

​​
                Attached Files

Comment

Posting my feedback now that I have both diffusers installed. Both of mine have that gap in the top right corner that others have posted about. I think either the moulding has a defect or the donor diffuser to make it had the defect. The paint on both of mine have some pinholes which I thought might be a significant issue, but they’re so small that they’re not noticeable after install. What is noticeable and annoying to look at is the waviness/running in the clear coat at the tape line. For those who have not received their diffuser yet, I’d recommend getting it in primered form and having it painted after you receive the diffuser. Overall, the diffuser looks great and fits well. The waviness in the clear won’t stop bothering me every time I look at it tho.
                  Attached Files
                  Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                  Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

I have similar "deficiencies" with my primered diffuser. Clearcoat runs along the tape line, and pinholes here and there. I ordered it primered, and I didn't expect the exposed CF part to be cleared. The taping and clearcoating would have been done my by bodyshop anyway.

I'm hoping my bodyshop will be able to address all the little things with mine and get it looking close to perfect.

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                    Posting my feedback now that I have both diffusers installed. Both of mine have that gap in the top right corner that others have posted about. I think either the moulding has a defect or the donor diffuser to make it had the defect. The paint on both of mine have some pinholes which I thought might be a significant issue, but they’re so small that they’re not noticeable after install. What is noticeable and annoying to look at is the waviness/running in the clear coat at the tape line. For those who have not received their diffuser yet, I’d recommend getting it in primered form and having it painted after you receive the diffuser. Overall, the diffuser looks great and fits well. The waviness in the clear won’t stop bothering me every time I look at it tho.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by toy4to; 12-30-2022, 11:26 AM.

Comment

RE: Mold
                      The diffuser is made from a positive mold. It's milled - and isn't created using a scan or a molding from physical OEM diffuser or equivalent.

More info on a journal entry here and a video here.

RE: Waviness
                      The waviness is orange peel - it can be a symptom of many things.

René wet sands and polishes all of these. Considering the pinholes, this is a case of an outgassing clear. It will keep "moving" for usually 30 days or so after paint. This is much worse on fiberglass / carbon parts as the underlying surface is porous.

I agree with your last assessment: primered it is if you want it perfect! Thank you for the honest review.

Comment

RE: Mold
                        The diffuser is made from a positive mold. It's milled - and isn't created using a scan or a molding from physical OEM diffuser or equivalent.

More info on a journal entry here and a video here.

RE: Waviness
                        The waviness is orange peel - it can be a symptom of many things.

René wet sands and polishes all of these. Considering the pinholes, this is a case of an outgassing clear. It will keep "moving" for usually 30 days or so after paint. This is much worse on fiberglass / carbon parts as the underlying surface is porous.

I agree with your last assessment: primered it is if you want it perfect! Thank you for the honest review.
                        I’m just saying, something doesn’t seem right if many people are experiencing that gap in the top right corner. It’s not enough to bother me, but it is there on both of my cars.

The waviness is not orange peel. I’m talking about excess clear pooled up at the paint line. Look at the paint like closely in my close up photos. That’s what bothers me the most about the diffuser.

I received the diffusers a couple of months ago, and the pinholes are still present. But again, this is so minimal that it doesn’t bother me. Only the second issue I’ve pointed out is significant to me.
                        Last edited by SQ13; 01-01-2023, 09:25 AM.

Comment

I’m just saying, something doesn’t seem right if many people are experiencing that gap in the top right corner. It’s not enough to bother me, but it is there on both of my cars.

The waviness is not orange peel. I’m talking about excess clear pooled up at the paint line. Look at the paint like closely in my close up photos. That’s what bothers me the most about the diffuser.

I received the diffusers a couple of months ago, and the pinholes are still present. But again, this is so minimal that it doesn’t bother me. Only the second issue I’ve pointed out is significant to me.
                          Hey,

The orange peel I reference is in this pic, on the far right with the light's reflection. The pooling in the gap is another indication of clear coat being too generously applied and/or intercoat drying time not abided to.

I'm currently packaging all the issues and will communicate to this René. He needs a chat with his painter for sure. I'll be respraying mine as we're doing a color change, I'll document the steps to get it right.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I think giving Rene some feedback would be good. Continual improvement is always good. The clearcoat runs on my diffuser are pretty evident that too much was sprayed. Painter guy needs to keep that in mind for future jobs.

Comment

Hey,

The orange peel I reference is in this pic, on the far right with the light's reflection. The pooling in the gap is another indication of clear coat being too generously applied and/or intercoat drying time not abided to.

I'm currently packaging all the issues and will communicate to this René. He needs a chat with his painter for sure. I'll be respraying mine as we're doing a color change, I'll document the steps to get it right.
                              Gotcha. Yeah, the orange peel is fine with me..factory paint has it too. I don’t have any plans to do any paintwork in the near future so idk what to do about the excess clear that has pooled up.

Comment

Originally posted by toy4to View Post
                                I think giving Rene some feedback would be good. Continual improvement is always good. The clearcoat runs on my diffuser are pretty evident that too much was sprayed. Painter guy needs to keep that in mind for future jobs.
                                I agree! His painter isn't all that great - I'll explore solutions with him. I've always felt his paint pricing was too low. If he needs more time to do it perfect, it might be a compromise and would drive more guys to get RTS primered anyways.

Gotcha. Yeah, the orange peel is fine with me..factory paint has it too. I don’t have any plans to do any paintwork in the near future so idk what to do about the excess clear that has pooled up.
                                If you want it fixed, we can start the process. Let me know!

Comment

Working...
                                X