Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GB for SLON Workshop CF Rear bulkhead, which can (optionally) be a back seat delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
    Would installation of this impede the installation of say a vincebar or other topside RACP reinforcement later on down the road?
    I know if that was the case one could simply do topside first, then rear bulkhead.
    No, but it would make it slightly more annoying because of the limited space.

Edit: On second thought, it might interfere slightly with the front mount reinforcements. Vince-style gusset cups are probably fine because they're low profile, but something like the CMP solution might not fit. Regardless, I would still do topside reinforcement before this.

I wasn't able to find a picture of the bulkhead without the seats in place, so not sure what it looks like towards the bottom. Maybe someone else can chime in?
    Last edited by heinzboehmer; 02-03-2021, 09:05 PM.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Would installation of this impede the installation of say a vincebar or other topside RACP reinforcement later on down the road?
      I know if that was the case one could simply do topside first, then rear bulkhead.
      The CMP front top brace appears it would not be compatible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FMEK-min_600x600.jpg?v=1581474899.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	82905

6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Looks like an awesome piece, I want one. I find it funny that anybody would considering this but be so worried about a pass thru hole in a e46 m3. Carrying brooms? Put them in the front if you have to. Obviously it’s more geared towards hardcore sports car people, less for merry maids.

Comment

Originally posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

How about cutting a hole in it (and likely compromising the rigidity of the wall...) and then carrying your broomsticks happily? You can even choose the size/shape of the hole, personalize it to howevermany broomsticks you typically transport!

The wall's strength is precisely that it's a full sheet, in addition to the multiple planes it has parallel to each other (the 'deep X'). If you really need to carry those broomsticks you need to sacrifice the rigidity (there is no one without the other).

How about carrying those broomsticks on a roof rack?
          Roof rack... They fuck you up with the COG and the drag. 😂😂😂😂😂

Comment

Vince front cups possibly can be installed, but i think you need to install them first.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Ideally for me it would have had a hole for the ski pass like the non folding sedans with the cold weather package do. That would at least allow transportation of broomsticks and the like. But I get that would probably be harder to manufacture and would probably limit the rigidity benefit.

yea i wouldn't even want something as complicated as a hinged pass through, i'd simply be fine with a couple of cutouts along the beadroll-ish areas like so

If you really need to carry those broomsticks you need to sacrifice the rigidity (there is no one without the other).
              it doesn't necessarily have to be all or nothing. i'd be interested in a design with less rigidity that would allow me to transport my broomstick(s)

How about carrying those broomsticks on a roof rack?
              some of us have already lost that roof rack functionality by going with CSL roof moldings

Comment

Vince bar should be compatible (I’m counting on it 😜), but you should install the front portion before this for sure. Not sure if it’ll be impossible after, but it’ll absolutely be at least a PITA.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Vince bar should be compatible (I’m counting on it 😜), but you should install the front portion before this for sure. Not sure if it’ll be impossible after, but it’ll absolutely be at least a PITA.
                  It will be impossible after without removing this reinforcement. The gusset cups sheet metal will end up under this reinforcement.
                  2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Just to confirm, I haven't seen an email yet but I figure the payment will be needed after Friday. Excited to install and feel this. Thinking of a way to create a base to remove the seat and install some sort of a 3M CF wrap so it matches.

Comment

I’m surprised it took this long for this concept to be produced. Such a nice idea. If I didn’t need the back seat fold down I’d be all over this

Comment

Related:

Audi says that piece is adding 33% torsional rigidity to the R8.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Related:

SYT_Shadow already on the phone with Audi telling them they left too much rigidity on the table with that broomstick passthrough

Comment

Related:

Also note mechanical fasteners in addition to bonding. Best connection for structural item. Trick is to not crush or crack the CF which comprises its integrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not worried about the lack of rivets/fasteners. The glue is incredibly solid.

Mine is glued now, hopefully snowmageddon ends and I can drive the car

Comment

Related:
                                https://www.insidecomposites.com/aud...bre-rear-wall/
                                I think you mean the A8 L which is a big four door sedan and not the highly advanced sport coupe.

Notable the Audi A8 is like 2.5 times larger area than the product being discussed here. The Audi sedan one is 6-19 layers of carbon fber that is affixed to some 7 walls and 2 separate planes. As addressed earlier if ///M strengthened the M3 shell to achieve 18,750 nm/deg of Strutural Rigidity with the open trunk it doesn't seem well reasoned to assume adding a small panel insert will achieve the 1/3rd Audi gets here in gains with their twin panel two plane addition.

Seems the theory here is if BMW gets 5,000 nm/deg Structural Rigidity gain with the soild rear bulkhead on the E46 sedans that doing similair will result in the very similar gains. I'm not seing it being that equal. The E46 sedan has a solid one piece bulkhead in the rear (which incorporates the top rear trunk panel). With fold down seats (like coupe) it has additional side brackets compared to the solid version. Making it multi-piece. So it's not completely side to side tied in, but rather an insert. You can view and compare in my link to the ETK E46 Body rear bulkhead to get a basic idea on #1 Solid no opening bulkhead vs #2 with opened multi-piece back for fold down seats. Granted the ETK isn't exact diagram shapes. *I'll post real solid one piece bulkhead in next post to follow showing complete side to side back panel and one piece design..
                                https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_1105
                                It should achieve some structural gains but I can not see it being in the percentage promoted in this thread.

Then again these are just my thoughts and reasoning. By saying this I am absolutely open to seeing how I am missing something.
                                Last edited by old///MFanatic; 02-07-2021, 12:11 PM.
                                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Working...
                                X