This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

There is no engineering benefits to using aluminum, it’s purely cost cutting.

Here’s an excerpt from discussions with Ben @ TTV:

Aluminium is 1/3rd the weight of steel but its also 1/3rd the strength, as such, you need 3 times as much of it.

Having 2 different materials bolted together is not ideal when the parts warm up and start to expand as the expansion rates are different putting components under stress, this is more important when you consider the starter ring gear is steel. Failure here could be catastrophic.

Motorsport teams will not use aluminium flywheels due to their inherent reliability risks, the steel used for the friction faces tend to be of lower quality and wear out quickly when used with modern drivetrain friction materials.
    Hi,

I am also not a big fan of Alu for flywheel.

My track set up is SMF weight only 7.5pounds and its made form Chromoly never aluminum...(its not
    used in S54 engine.)

TTV looks good but nothing to dampen the lash from the transmission which is going to the
    crankshaft...

Regards,
    Anri

https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

There's a reason we don't like rattling noises at idle in neutral.

It hides the real scary rattling at idle aka vanos.

LOL
      Raise the idle, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Anri View Post

Hi,

I am also not a big fan of Alu for flywheel.

My track set up is SMF weight only 7.5pounds and its made form Chromoly never aluminum...(its not
        used in S54 engine.)

TTV looks good but nothing to dampen the lash from the transmission which is going to the
        crankshaft...

Regards,
        Anri

Good to hear. I believe TTV has a clutch offering as well. Might be available with the kit. I’ll ask.

Comment

If chatter is a concern to you, then a single mass and lightweight flywheel are not for you. End of story. Don't even peak your interest. Ever. For any brand. There is no magical shape that stops chatter. They ALL chatter.

That being said, I get some chatter below 2k rpm and after it's fine. I use MT90 which I think alleviates it a decent amount. My chatter doesn't really occur until the clutch is starting to engage. My flywheel is 11.5lbs. The vibrations are from like 1,100 to 1,600 mostly. It really caught me off guard because everyone says the chatter at idle. Mine doesn't really.

The advantage of a single mass over a dual mass is more clutch predictability and response times. The E46 M3 has a power response that is almost unmatched. Even a 991 GT3 has a slower throttle response. Eliminating the dual mass, which has a spring in it to dampen, will further improve that response. Mix this with a few other mods and it'll really tighten the car up more. The biggest advantage, in my opinion, is single mass flywheel don't separate. They're one piece, not two. When a dual mass breaks, it chatters horribly. Dual mass flywheels can't be resurfaced meaning they shouldn't be reused. That's more $$$. They're inherently more expensive.

Advantage of a dual mass, it helps dampen torsional vibrations, which the S54 has the most of. A torsional vibration is uneven twisting of the crank. The longer the crank, the more torsional vibrations. The other is comfort.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
            Dual mass flywheels can't be resurfaced meaning they shouldn't be reused. That's more $$$. They're inherently more expensive.
            Dual mass flywheels can definitely be resurfaced.

Jed Pineda who owns Einhorn Industries makes lightened dual mass flywheels for the E39 M5 using stock flywheels.

I've been in talks with him to make a set of the M3 but he doesn't see the point since the M3 naturally revs much faster than an M5.
            2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
            2005 BMW ///M3
            Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
            2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
            2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
            2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

Dual mass flywheels can definitely be resurfaced.

Jed Pineda who owns Einhorn Industries makes lightened dual mass flywheels for the E39 M5 using stock flywheels.

I've been in talks with him to make a set of the M3 but he doesn't see the point since the M3 naturally revs much faster than an M5.
              Well the factory one can't be and this guy doesn't make one for our car.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post

Good to hear. I believe TTV has a clutch offering as well. Might be available with the kit. I’ll ask.
                Can you inquire about a good street/track solution clutch to be paired with this flywheel? Your site information is extremely informative. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by ASAed330 View Post

Can you inquire about a good street/track solution clutch to be paired with this flywheel? Your site information is extremely informative. Keep up the good work!
                  Thanks a bunch! Copywriting is something I enjoy and I know how much product descriptions are thin and low quality most of the time.

I will shoot Ben an email for you

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                    If chatter is a concern to you, then a single mass and lightweight flywheel are not for you. End of story. Don't even peak your interest. Ever. For any brand. There is no magical shape that stops chatter. They ALL chatter.

That being said, I get some chatter below 2k rpm and after it's fine. I use MT90 which I think alleviates it a decent amount. My chatter doesn't really occur until the clutch is starting to engage. My flywheel is 11.5lbs. The vibrations are from like 1,100 to 1,600 mostly. It really caught me off guard because everyone says the chatter at idle. Mine doesn't really.

The advantage of a single mass over a dual mass is more clutch predictability and response times. The E46 M3 has a power response that is almost unmatched. Even a 991 GT3 has a slower throttle response. Eliminating the dual mass, which has a spring in it to dampen, will further improve that response. Mix this with a few other mods and it'll really tighten the car up more. The biggest advantage, in my opinion, is single mass flywheel don't separate. They're one piece, not two. When a dual mass breaks, it chatters horribly. Dual mass flywheels can't be resurfaced meaning they shouldn't be reused. That's more $$$. They're inherently more expensive.

Advantage of a dual mass, it helps dampen torsional vibrations, which the S54 has the most of. A torsional vibration is uneven twisting of the crank. The longer the crank, the more torsional vibrations. The other is comfort.
                    what's the bullshit?
                    do i need to post some video? i have an m3 right now in our workshop on our aluminum flywheel and it works silent

Comment

Originally posted by Slonik View Post

what's the bullshit?
                      do i need to post some video? i have an m3 right now in our workshop on our aluminum flywheel and it works silent
                      A video will be great.

Comment

what's the bullshit?
                        Go ahead. Nothing's stopping you.

Comment

what's the bullshit?
                          the BS is the word silent used in the context of a SMF, and you expecting people to take your word for you when you sell/make them....

Comment

had too much work these days guys, sorry. really forgot about this topic.
                            i'll make video in the next few days. this e46m3 still in our workshop so no problem.

Comment

what's the bullshit?
                              The clutch/gear rattle will be almost silent while the gearbox oil is cold. Once it warms up (20+ min of driving), it will be quite loud. If you're running way too thick of a fluid, you might be able to mask some of the noise but will have a hell of a time shifting these transmissions smoothly. Still, in for video

Comment

Originally posted by BBRTuning View Post

The clutch/gear rattle will be almost silent while the gearbox oil is cold. Once it warms up (20+ min of driving), it will be quite loud. If you're running way too thick of a fluid, you might be able to mask some of the noise but will have a hell of a time shifting these transmissions smoothly. Still, in for video
                                video made after 30 min of spirited driving and then 5-10 min of idling.

guys, i've made this kit for my car firstly, to get quiet result, which i want. for about 6 years i've made about 10 kits for our local cars, so this is not such business (i'm about lightweight flywheels for s54), like i made on some other of our products. and i don't have any plans to sell it to abroad. so i don't understand what we are talking about.

and as i said previously, sound on smf depends on transmission condition a LOT. cause even on fully the same kit we had results like on video on most cars, and also some rattling on pair other cars.

Comment

Working...
                                X