No announcement yet.

Zzyzx85's '03 High Mileage Daily Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome build! Loving the high mileage machine that’s getting real use.

Where did you get the replacement hoses for the ICV? I looked for bmw parts, but they don’t seem to be available. I’m assuming any PCV or vacuum line is likely fine given it’s the right size? Thanks!

Comment

Thanks!

I bought the hose pieces from Turner/ECS. I suppose that as long as they're the right size, PCV hose will work.
      "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
      ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

I took this video of a short, quick pull a while back but I think it's worth posting it here.

Last edited by zzyzx85; 06-14-2022, 07:32 AM.

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal

Comment

Inching closer to 280k.

Recently did an oil change. I think there's about 7500 miles on it, including a track day.

Sent off a sample to Blackstone so I'm curious to see how it is.

build/journal

Comment

I got my UOA back from Blackstone the other day. It reads kind of scary but their interpretation is accurate on how I'm driving the car harder nowadays. Not sure where the brass/copper is from (valve guides?) But I think the iron is from the camshaft wear I noticed.

build/journal

Comment

I don't know...with low lead count and high copper and trending higher iron, it may be time for a rod bearing job? You may have already gone through the lead layer (thus low lead count) and working past the copper layer (high copper count) and even into the steel shell (high iron count)? When was the last rod bearing changed? That would be my conclusion.

Comment

Yeah copper is usually attributed to rod bearings. Doesn't really mean much without a clear trend though.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Xmetal View Post
                  I don't know...with low lead count and high copper and trending higher iron, it may be time for a rod bearing job? You may have already gone through the lead layer (thus low lead count) and working past the copper layer (high copper count) and even into the steel shell (high iron count)? When was the last rod bearing changed? That would be my conclusion.
                  Rod bearings were changed out about 80k miles ago at around 200k.
                  Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                  Yeah copper is usually attributed to rod bearings. Doesn't really mean much without a clear trend though.
                  I'm leaning towards looking for a trend before I make any moves. The weird thing was there was always copper in the oil samples I've given. The first sample was after I bought the car. The second sample was after I changed out the rod bearings.

build/journal

Comment

Just before Christmas, I sent the (presumed OE) first set of injectors out to RC Fuel Injection for cleaning and flow testing. Got back from vacation to find the package of freshly cleaned and flow tested injectors waiting for me like a late Christmas present.

I was also waiting to see how bad the injectors were lol.

Seeing that injector 4 was nearly 100cc lower than spec, I wasn't disappointed lol. That was amazing. I'm betting these were the OE that came with the car, so about ~260k miles on them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	198844

build/journal

Comment

Oh yeah, forgot I had these too

Bought them during the Black Friday sale, while waiting in the Madrid airport for our flight back from Spain. I jokingly asked if I could pick them up on the way (they were actually a 5.5 hours drive away from Madrid).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230103_211628.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.5 KB ID:	199019
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230103_211530.jpg Views:	0 Size:	220.4 KB ID:	199017Click image for larger version  Name:	20230103_211554.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.0 KB ID:	199018
                      Last edited by zzyzx85; 01-05-2023, 09:23 AM.

build/journal

Comment

Finally installed the (pricey) badge on the engine cover.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230129_125450.jpg Views:	0 Size:	231.9 KB ID:	203079

I'm leaning towards leaving off the Karbonius cf strut brace as the 3 piece OE brace is much more convenient for working under the hood.

I've been thinking of either cleaning/dressing up the current bar or buying a fresh new one.​

build/journal

Comment

My least favorite part of having an aftermarket strut brace. Will have to remove it just to apply the bmw motorsport decal, myself.
                          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20230222_101112_Drive.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	206829

​​​Seeing the pitting and wear, and the tapping, maybe it's time to change out my cams and followers. Pretty sure a follower went flat after my last track day.

build/journal

Comment

Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20230222_101112_Drive.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	206829

​​​Seeing the pitting and wear, and the tapping, maybe it's time to change out my cams and followers. Pretty sure a follower went flat after my last track day.
                              Yeah it's time. I just changed mine at 239k miles and one of the followers was flat as hell. No more tapping now.
                              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Going to do a valve adjustment just to see if it makes a difference. It's been a while so maybe i'll give that a shot before I go in to camshaft surgery.

Picked up a new Interstate H7 AGM battery. I got tired of having to jump the car every Monday morning. i think the extreme heat and cold in the high desert ruins batteries. I got just over 2 years out of the current battery.

build/journal

Comment

Working...
                                X