No announcement yet.

heinzboehmer's 2002 Topaz 6MT Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the extra padding, is the seat even an upgrade in supportiveness? For me, as a pretty big guy, the nogaro is already not super supportive, especially in the legs. If you move yourself forward, you’re basically eliminating the side support, other than the very small area (for seat belt receptacle clearance) by your hips.
    ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
      With the extra padding, is the seat even an upgrade in supportiveness? For me, as a pretty big guy, the nogaro is already not super supportive, especially in the legs. If you move yourself forward, you’re basically eliminating the side support, other than the very small area (for seat belt receptacle clearance) by your hips.
      Slightly. The wings of the seat still hold my shoulders in place a bit.

But I only plan on using the extra padding on the street. I'll take it off on track, which shouldn't be as uncomfortable because my arms are always fully outstretched.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
        Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	199387

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	199388
        Seats look great! Only people on the forum will know that you colored your seats in...lol

The inboard side mount bolts are the worst. I use B7 studs with loctite on the inboard side of the seat. Makes installing the seat no longer a chore. Eventually I want to remove the upholstery and screw in a bolt from the backside.

Comment

Hey man! It has been a while. Maybe we can do an occasional autox soonish

I'm pretty set on trying to make these seats work for me, as they're the only ones I know of that meet all my requirements (three point compatibility, harness compatibility, ease of ingress/egress, lightweight, etc.). The only others that might meet all of that are Pole Position ABEs, but I'm not fully sure how comfortable they would be on the street with the three point receptacle having to come through the seat. I think it'll be pretty much impossible to find a local car with those seats installed, so I'm going to try my best with the Nogaros. I've been messing around with them a good amount and I think I have a plan to make them comfortable on the street. But I'll definitely let you know if I find that I just don't well in the Nogaros.

Speaking of, I put a bunch of towels in the car and started driving around. Sat on them, put them behind me, put them besides me, basically tried every configuration I could think of to see if any made it more comfortable for me. I've learned two things (that kinda go completely against what I initially thought was uncomfortable about the seat):
          1. I'm pretty confident now that the discomfort of sitting too low is 100% in my mind.
            1. It felt very disorienting to have such a drastic change in the driving experience of a car that I've become so used to. However, the more I drive it, the more I like the "racecar" feel. I still think I'm at the limit of too low because my eyes are only about 1-2" above the steering wheel, so any lower would significantly limit my visibility. But point is, I'm liking it more and more, so I'm pretty sure I'll get used to this.
          2. The discomfort is exclusive to my shoulders
            1. The length of my torso puts my shoulders right at point where the "wings" of the seat extend the furthest out. This means that my shoulders get pushed forward a LOT, which becomes uncomfortable after driving for a while. If the radius of curvature of the "wings" were a bit larger, I wouldn't have any problem.
          Since the discomfort is isolated to the shoulders, I should be able to solve the issues by modifying the seat so that my shoulders can sit a bit flatter. I initially thought that if I sat further up, my shoulders would move out of the most aggressive part of the "wings", but it turns out that I have to sit too far up for this, so that idea won't work. The thing I did find that worked was to add extra padding to the back of the seat. This pushes my entire torso far forward enough so that my shoulders can extend back before hitting the seat. Here's prototype number one:
          Definitely! Too bad it's been raining so much lately. You should also try my seat out (and vice versa), I'm pretty curious how the two differ.

I was lucky not to have discomfort (our torsos are likely different, but also maybe the wings on the Sparco are higher) - my shoulders are on the lower end of the wings, and don't really get pushed forward a whole lot. I think my height is similar to yours and recall it being quite disorienting as well, but I quickly grew to love it. I generally like sitting low, and usually push the seats in other cars to their lowest setting - not sure if the M3 seats are any lower than the non-M sport seats, but I felt they were always too high for a sports car. When I need to see the hood as reference for parking or pulling in/out of parking spots, I lean forwards off the seat back haha.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Seats look great! Only people on the forum will know that you colored your seats in...lol

The inboard side mount bolts are the worst. I use B7 studs with loctite on the inboard side of the seat. Makes installing the seat no longer a chore. Eventually I want to remove the upholstery and screw in a bolt from the backside.
            Thank you! I'm pretty sure I saw you say somewhere that you mounted your seats with studs and that gave me the idea to do this.

Originally posted by timmo View Post

Definitely! Too bad it's been raining so much lately. You should also try my seat out (and vice versa), I'm pretty curious how the two differ.

I was lucky not to have discomfort (our torsos are likely different, but also maybe the wings on the Sparco are higher) - my shoulders are on the lower end of the wings, and don't really get pushed forward a whole lot. I think my height is similar to yours and recall it being quite disorienting as well, but I quickly grew to love it. I generally like sitting low, and usually push the seats in other cars to their lowest setting - not sure if the M3 seats are any lower than the non-M sport seats, but I felt they were always too high for a sports car. When I need to see the hood as reference for parking or pulling in/out of parking spots, I lean forwards off the seat back haha.
            Yeah definitely have been getting used to the seating position, am liking it a lot more now. And yeah! Welcome to try out my seats whenever. Also curious to try yours out.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Knocked out a few things this weekend.

First off, I noticed that the fabric on my A pillar covers was starting to get pretty bunched up when I ran all my new dashcam wiring. Glued it back on with some 3M super 77.

Masked and adhesive applied. Put a ton on because that seemed to be what worked best when I was trying it out:

Name:	20230115_173106.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	200992

Name:	20230115_173808.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	200993

Turned out great! They look brand new now:

Name:	20230116_194241.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	200994

Name:	20230116_194253.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	200995

Then I trimmed the plastic trim pieces that come on the stock seat rails so that they would fit onto the new rails with the nogaro brackets.

Name:	20230111_191149.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	200996

Name:	20230111_191305.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	200997

Name:	20230111_201336.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	200998

Name:	20230111_201347.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	200999

For the first one, I almost exclusively used a dremel to do all the trimming, but I found out with the second one that it was quicker and just as good to use a box cutter. I did have to remove a decent amount of material, so I added some foam and zip ties to keep everything from rattling:

Name:	20230111_202207.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	201000

Name:	20230111_203636.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	201001

Name:	20230111_202339.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	201002

Name:	20230111_203607.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	201003

And here's the final product. Much nicer looking than the naked rail, in my eyes:

Name:	20230112_083701.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	201004

After that, I mounted the fire extinguisher under the driver's seat. Used to have it under the passenger's seat before getting the nogaros, but it's much harder to reach that seat now, so I decided to move it over.

I just zip tied the plastic clip that came with the extinguisher to the substrap bar:

Name:	20230116_204548.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	201005

Fits quite well in between the sides of the substrap bar. However, it does sit pretty far back, so it's not super easy to reach. I can reach it no problem with the three point belt on (even with it locked), but can't reach it with a buckled harness. There aren't any other good spots to mount it on, so I added some string that I can reach when strapped in with the harness:

Name:	20230116_222536.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	201006

String goes up and is held below the bottom cushion by a small piece of velcro:

Name:	20230116_222731.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	201007

Pretty happy with how it turned out. Extinguisher is super easy to retrieve and is kept above the lowest solid part of the seat rails (substrap bar), so there's no danger of it getting crushed when moving the seat back and forth.

Comment

Las thing I did was to get started on my custom seat cushion.

I talked about making an L shaped cushion before, but ultimately decided to split it up. Still going to be L shaped, but just made out of two separate pieces. This is mostly so that the sewing is simpler, but will also make the whole thing a bit more adjustable.

Started off by sketching out a cut/sew plan:

Name:	20230112_175051.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	201009

Then came translating the drawing to real things. As mentioned before, I have no idea what I'm doing. So instead of messing around with (and probably ruining) fabric, I turned to the trusty CAD:

Name:	20230113_110331.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	201010

These are the final versions of the templates that I ended up using:

Name:	20230114_153519.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	201011

Transferred onto the fabric:

Name:	20230114_153502.jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	201012

The machine I got access to was honestly pretty nuts. It could do a bunch of complicated stitches and all you had to do was press the foot control and make sure the fabric was going through straight. Here's some of the stitch patterns I messed around with:

Name:	20230114_153609.jpg
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	201013

Crazy.

I do realize that me being blown away by this machine is probably the equivalent of someone being blown away by one of my torque wrenches, but I still thought it was super cool. Didn't end up using the machine for anything other than regular straight stitches, though.

Here's the first stitch I did:

Name:	20230114_155744.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	201014

Name:	20230114_165811.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	201015

And the final product:

Name:	20230114_195730.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	201016

Name:	20230114_195738.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	201017

I stiched everything inside out so that there wouldn't be flaps of fabric on the outside and tried to follow how Cobra made their cushion. Images above also show how I left a ton of extra material on the sides. Did this so that I have some room to play with if I ever want to make this cushion any thicker.

Here's the thing turned right side out:

Name:	20230114_195819.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	201018

Name:	20230114_195832.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	201019

Velcro strips are a bit crooked, but whatever. Decided to use these thinner strips because I felt that the super thick ones that Cobra uses are waay too grippy.

Then moved on to cutting out the foam. Thought that using scissors would work out well, but quickly learned that this was not the case. Edges turned out super jagged and it was really hard to make sure the cuts were orthogonal to the face of the foam:

Name:	20230114_200402.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	201020

It's good enough for now, but I want to redo the foam with some sort of hot knife thing.

Lastly, the test fit:

Name:	20230114_201734.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	201021

Name:	20230114_201840.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	201022

It fits quite well! Pretty happy with how this turned out, especially considering that I was learning how to do all this as I went along. Seat looks kinda stupid with the Cobra cushion pushed all the way up like that, but whatever, it's a lot more comfortable on the street like this,.

Next step is to replace those towels with a cushion wrapped in fabric that matches the Cobra cushions. Ordered some dinamica samples, so will get to that once I know what matches best.

Comment

Jan 2022

New wheels!

Got some 18s for the street, as the 19s were quite tiring on rough roads and I wanted less unsprung mass. Tires are PS4Ss (which were not easy to source).

Front: 18x8.5" ET35 Race Silver APEX EC-7 with 235/40/18
                  Rear: 18x9.5" ET22 Race Silver APEX EC-7 with 265/35/18

Car looks great and (most importantly) rides a looot better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220115_122953.jpg Views:	380 Size:	219.5 KB ID:	156173

Here's some weight data:

Front (each):
                  • Wheel 18": 20.4 lbs
                  • Tire 18": 21.6 lbs
                  • Wheel + tire 18": 42.1 lbs
                  • Wheel + tire 19": 47.9 lbs
                  Rear (each):
                  • Wheel + tire 18": 47.1 lbs
                  • Wheel + tire 19": 53.0 lbs
                  Saved 5.8 lbs per corner up front and 5.9 lbs per corner in the rear. Not bad!

Buut of course something had to happen. Drove for probably 200 mi before finding this in my left rear tire:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220116_135256.jpg Views:	352 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	156174

Ridiculous. Got it patched and all is good.

At some point, I also took my rear seats out, so I took the opportunity to test fit the Slon wall with the VinceBar cups in place. Looks great, but unfortunately does not fit that well because of the extra material that the cups add. Cups will need some grinding, but that shouldn't be terrible.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220129_172919.jpg Views:	351 Size:	100.0 KB ID:	156175
                  Do you have any pictures of the final install of the Slon wall (as in were you able to grind away the required material on the cups)?

Did you also notice any difference/improvements after it was installed?
                  Last edited by Mike RT4; 01-17-2023, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike RT4 View Post

Do you have any pictures of the final install of the Slon wall (as in were you able to grind away the required material on the cups)?

Did you also notice any difference/improvements after it was installed?
                    Still have not installed that thing, unfortunately. This is still my only car, so I'm a bit wary to loose the extra trunk space with the seats folded down, but that might change soon. Also, the adhesive I want to use for this is the same adhesive as I'll use when I do a CF roof, so I'd like to combine those two installs because of its short shelf life.

I did have a conversation with Slon about this and yeah, sounds like grinding away some of the cups is the way to go. Wrote down the important bits from that conversation here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...585#post150585. Hope that helps!

Comment

Was undoing all the track stuff from the car and found some fluid in the belly pan. Followed it up and saw this:

Click image for larger version Name:	20221102_202310.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.4 KB ID:	191097

You can see the weep hole is facing forward, so I'm pretty sure the fluid didn't boil, but rather sloshed out of the reservoir under hard braking.

Ordered parts to build something similar to kaiv's catch can: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=29. Looks like kaiv's pics are dead, but this other post has some good ones: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=22. I know I could just put a sock on it, but I just don't want to be cleaning it up after every track day. Plus, I can never resist planning a new project.
                      Finally got around to doing this. Used the reservoir kaiv mentioned and then got some nice looking fuel line and a 90 degree connector (think it's 4mm OD):

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230118_182925.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.4 KB ID:	201525

First had to decide where to mount it. I wanted it above the PS reservoir, so that any fluid that went into it would drain back. Terrible picture, but there's a good amount of space directly above the reservoir, so that's where I decided to put it:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230118_182448.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.4 KB ID:	201526

Next I made sure that the fitting I bought wasn't too long so that it wouldn't bottom out against the cap and block the weep hole:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230118_183044.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.4 KB ID:	201527
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230118_183150.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.9 KB ID:	201528

After that came the bracket. Considered swapping out the aux coolant pump for the non-M one so that I could build a bracket from there, but ultimately decided that there wasn't a great place to attach to bracket to. Instead, I decided to attach the bracket to the wishbone looking mount for the airbox. Solidly mounted (enough) to the chassis and super easy to access for removal.

Here's what I came up with. Nothing special, just some cuts and holes in some aluminum angle:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230118_194049.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.8 KB ID:	201529
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230118_195119.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.2 KB ID:	201530
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230118_202238.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	201531

Dug through my pile of "I probably shouldn't throw this bolt/nut out in case I can use it in the future" things for the hardware. Think I ended up using an old, cut down VANOS bolt and a taillight nut. They were both 10mm, which is what really matters.

Before assembling everything, I did what kaiv suggested and removed the seal in the reservoir. Was able to blow through it with little effort even with the cap fully tightened.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230118_202320.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.5 KB ID:	201532
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230118_202345.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	201533

Then cut the fuel line to size, attached both ends and wrapped them in tesa tape to avoid fraying of the outer mesh. Heat shrink tubing would probably have been a better choice from this, but that would have involved leaving the garage to get it and would have ruined the whole "I built this exclusively out of things in the garage, most of them scrap" thing I had going on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230118_203650.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.7 KB ID:	201534

Installed on the car:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230118_205116.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.7 KB ID:	201535
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20230118_205135.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.5 KB ID:	201536

Bolted it up so that the only thing I need to remove to open up the PS reservoir is the 90 deg elbow connector on the cap. No need to remove the catch can or anything.

There's really no way for it to interfere with the airbox with how I've positioned it, but I put the unfiltered section back on and squeezed my phone in to check just in case:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230118_205504.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	201537

Looks good! Pretty sure the condensation inside is from me blowing through it lol. A drive should take care of that.

Felt good to tackle a project that only took a couple hours start to finish, been doing too many long winded and overly complicated things lately. Also excited to not have to clean up fluids spills after track days now.
                      Last edited by heinzboehmer; 01-19-2023, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Finished up the passenger side cushion.

One thing I did differently with this one was look up how to cut foam. I thought a hot knife would be the appropriate tool, but it turns out that a serrated knife is what you want. Grabbed a bread knife from the kitchen and tried it out:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230122_145337.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	202084
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20230122_145346.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	202085

Worked surprised well! Much better cuts than with the scissors and just as easy. Did make a mess of little foam shavings though.

Also drove the car around for a while today. Ran boring errands with it on purpose to see how comfortable the seats ended up being. Glad to say that they feel just as comfortable as the stock seats on the street now.

Took the chance to take a few phone pics:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230122_165553.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.8 KB ID:	202086
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20230122_165557.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.6 KB ID:	202087
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20230122_165603.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.4 KB ID:	202088

Last thing to do is make the cushions that will go in place of the stacks of towels. Haven't made those yet because I need to get the appropriate fabric. Got some samples of dinamica in the mail the other day and found one that matches closely, so I'll be ordering that soon.

When those are done, I'll grab my camera and get some better pics of everything. I do still think that the seats look kinda stupid with the extra cushion, but the difference in comfort is insane. Was definitely worth spending my time making these.

Comment

You’re in this far, you should just make yourself a single insert to replace the three piece thing. You could also match the horizontal/arc stitching of the rear seats while you’re at it..
                          ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
                            You’re in this far, you should just make yourself a single insert to replace the three piece thing. You could also match the horizontal/arc stitching of the rear seats while you’re at it..
                            Ha, we'll see. Part of the reason why I want a separate lumbar cushion is so I can put an inflatable bladder thing into it and have adjustable lumbar support. I guess I could do it with the big cushion too, but I kinda just want to drive the car now instead of fighting against a sewing machine lol.

Comment

Finally installed some Turner street camber plates I bought off of Bry5on a while back. Don't exactly have a need for more camber (yet), but I did want to regain a bit of strut travel.

Wanted to keep my alignment as close to how it was before as possible, so I made these quick cardboard templates. Not super precise, but also much better than going by eye:

Name:	20230124_190305.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	204220

Since the strut has two axes to move around in, I added some masking tape to the strut tower and marked the position of the templates in two roughly orthogonal spots. Also took the opportunity to clean things up:

Name:	20230124_192159.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	204222

Name:	20230124_192106.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	204221

Install was fairly uneventful. Took about 30 min per side and didn't hit any snags. Spent longer getting the stupid dust boot in place than I did installing the plates.
                              ​​​​​​
                              One thing I did try was swapping the location of the spacer that Turner provides. Instructions say to install between strut washer and camber plate, but I figured I'd be able to regain even more strut travel if I put it on top of the camber plate instead.

This is the spacer below the plate:

Name:	image(1).jpg
Views:	347
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	204223

And this is with it above:

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	204224

I test fitted one plate with the spacer above it and wasn't too comfortable with how close the strut washer was to the solid (black) sleeve of the plate. Here's some shitty pics of the clearance:

Name:	20230124_201556.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	204225

Name:	20230124_201614.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	204226

As you can (not) see, there's barely any space between the parts. I was concerned that they would interfere when in use, so I decided to install the spacer how Turner wants you to. Significantly more clearance that way:

Name:	20230124_204502.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	204227

Anyway, CAD templates worked well and I was able to get stuff into pretty much the same spot as before:

Name:	20230125_193620.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	204228

Name:	20230125_194342.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	204229

Name:	20230125_205454.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	204230

Name:	20230125_223651.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	204231

Haven't been driving the car around too much lately, but I'll be going to an autox at Sonoma next weekend. Hopefully these things make it so that I'm in the bump stops less.

Comment

Assuming I understand what you are doing to regain strut travel, you will extend the shaft below mount, which will unload the spring, which will result in lower ride height, a bit more camber due to further travel in the arc and some toe out in front, concurrently resulting in more + rake and some toe in in rear, even if the shaft within the cardboard cutout stays in the same place. It will also result in more droop rather than bump, unless you shift the bottom spring collar up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by mrgizmo04; 02-05-2023, 11:35 PM.
                                Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X