Clear All

Got a good chunk of work in yesterday.

Mechanically removed paint from all bonding surfaces:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230803_135627.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	227936

Dry fitted the contraption I came up with to brace the thing in place while the adhesive cures:

Name:	20230803_173414.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	227937

Name:	20230803_173424.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	227938

Name:	20230803_181634.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	227939

Each individual piece is a wooden dowel with threaded inserts at each end. One end gets a threaded suction cup and the other gets one of those swiveling rubber furniture feet. The fact that both ends are threaded allows for fine adjustments once they're in place.

Dry fit was super important cause all of these needed to get installed in a short amount of time. I didn't want to be messing around with them, so I preadjusted everything and marked the locations of both ends.

The plastic coated stainless cable that's between the seats is there just in case one (or both) of the sunroof suction cups fail. Those have an extra bracket to allow articulation and are kinda heavy. I really didn't want them to come crashing down and damage my center console, so I added the cable as a precaution.

Next came final prep for the adhesive. I did a quick sand with 220 grit on both the chassis and CF brace (yes I wore a respirator when sanding the CF). On the chassis, I did an initial isopropyl wipe to get all the dust off, then an acetone wipe and then a final isopropyl wipe (new towels for each, of course). On the CF brace, I skipped the acetone wipe as I wasn't sure if it would mess with the resin, so it was just two consecutive isopropyl wipes.

With that done, it was time to mask around the bonding area and apply the adhesive. The pot life for the SikaForce 7888 is only 10 min, so this was probably the most stressful part of the whole install. No pictures of this cause I was rushing, but this was my process:
    1. Apply adhesive to the entire surface and spread it out with a cut down paint brush. This is mostly to ensure that all exposed metal is covered for corrosion protection.
    2. Apply more adhesive to everything but don't spread it out. Most of this will be squished out when the brace is put in place, but it's meant to help fill in any gaps between the brace and chassis.
    3. Put all wooden dowels in place, starting with the top corners and working my way down the sides, then doing the rest.
    4. Remove all masking tape from around the brace before the adhesive cures.
    5. Squeeze out of the car through the tiny space between the buckets and b pillars while trying not to knock any of the dowels out of place.
    6. Remove all masking tape in trunk.
    I did not manage to get this done in 10 min. Took me 15, but the test pile of adhesive I left on the bench was still pretty liquid by the time I was done, so I don't think the extra 5 min will cause any problems.

Pulling off the masking tape in the trunk:

Name:	20230803_194941.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	227940

Masking tape pulled off in the interior and all dowels in:

Name:	20230803_195652.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	227941

Now just need to wait for an unspecified amount of time before the adhesive cures.

I say unspecified because the datasheet is incredibly vague about how long the cure time is. It mentions that "Full cure and final adhesion performance is achieved after 7 days", but then also says the specced lap shear strength is achieved after curing for "3 h at 105 °C". Later on it says "Adhesion as well as curing speed can be improved by heat up to max. 100 °C". To add to the confusion, the CSL roof repair procedure (same adhesive) says that "the endurance strength of the structural bond is achieved after 12 hours at 20 °C".

So 12 hours at room temperature or maybe 105C for 3 hours, but you're not allowed to heat it over 100C? Also potentially wait 7 days lol.

Anyway, I'm just going to leave it for 48 hours at room temp. I might run a heat gun over it for a bit today, but I didn't initially because I wasn't confident that I'd be able to keep the surface temp below 100C.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

The wooden dowels are cracking me up, Heinz. Your ingenuity knows no bounds! Love it! Such a simple solution to an otherwise complex problem - I mean, how would you clamp it otherwise?!?

Can't wait to hear your impressions after you let it cure for 3 hours / 12 hours / 48 hours/ 7 days and take the car for a spin.

Are you planning on having passengers in the back? Yank those seat belts if not 😁 The retractable shoulder belts are heavier than you might expect - possibly 1.5 - 2.0 lbs each, I'd suspect.
      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Is that the roll cage? Hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
          The wooden dowels are cracking me up, Heinz. Your ingenuity knows no bounds! Love it! Such a simple solution to an otherwise complex problem - I mean, how would you clamp it otherwise?!?

Can't wait to hear your impressions after you let it cure for 3 hours / 12 hours / 48 hours/ 7 days and take the car for a spin.

Are you planning on having passengers in the back? Yank those seat belts if not 😁 The retractable shoulder belts are heavier than you might expect - possibly 1.5 - 2.0 lbs each, I'd suspect.
          The dowels are definitely hilarious. First thing I thought of when I test fit them was this:

Name:	MV5BNDkxMDMyNDItNGNkOC00M2UyLTg5ZDktNmExZTg2YmQ3MDllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	228106

Pretty excited to drive it too, should get a chance to do it later today.

Retractable belts are gone . The bottom belts are still in only because that's what I attach the schroth quick fits too. I thought about cutting the middle belt out, but it's really not that heavy, so I just left it.

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
          Is that the roll cage? Hahaha
          Lol, they're structural dowels!
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Name:	MV5BNDkxMDMyNDItNGNkOC00M2UyLTg5ZDktNmExZTg2YmQ3MDllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	228106
            Saw the band that dude is a member of back in 2000 or 2001, it was awesome. That is all.
            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

The dowels are definitely hilarious. First thing I thought of when I test fit them was this:
              You were probably just as comfortable getting all those dowels in there as that dude was wearing that thing 🙂

Retractable belts are gone . The bottom belts are still in only because that's what I attach the schroth quick fits too. I thought about cutting the middle belt out, but it's really not that heavy, so I just left it.

NICE. I couldn't tell by the pic if they were there and I thought I remember seeing you had done that some time ago.
              Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

I want to replicate every single thing about this install!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

This is when I have to ask, is this actually worth it lol

I like having a pass through, makes the car useable since the backseats at least for me are useless now because of my Recaros.
                  2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                  2005 BMW ///M3
                  Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                  2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                  2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                  2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

I like having a pass through, makes the car useable since the backseats at least for me are useless now because of my Recaros.
                    If you use the fold through, probably not. I haven’t used the fold through in years.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Have the interior almost entirely back together now. Just need to reglue the fabric on one of my c pillars and put those in. Here's the last bit of the install:

Ended up removing a ~3mm strip from each of the front cups. Here's how everything fits now:

Name:	20230805_142039.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	228250

I did have a disappointing realization when taking all the dowels out though. Turns out the lip on the passenger side of the brace did not end up completely flush with the forward facing metal on the chassis. I did do a check for this before leaving everything to cure, but I guess trying to squeeze through the dowels made it hard for me to notice this. The gap is biggest towards the bottom, the top side was completely flush. Here's what it looks like:

Name:	20230805_145145.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	228251

I went back with some leftover epoxy and filled in the gap. Didn't do this for structural reasons, but more so to try and keep dust and other stuff out. I did do that initial coat of adhesive on all the exposed metal, so fortunately not concerned about corrosion.

Name:	20230806_112352.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	228252

I don't really think this is a super big deal, as there should be little forces in that direction and the slanted face right behind this lip is entirely in contact with the chassis.

Bizarrely, there's a protruding section of chassis in the trunk that the brace does not fully rest against and the gap from brace to that on both sides is exactly the same. I'm not sure if my chassis is different side to side or if the brace is.

Name:	20230807_111307.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	228253

Name:	20230807_111347.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	228254

Anyway, not concerned, just slightly disappointed in myself for spending so much time trying to get this perfect and missing this. It's bonded in now, so no point in dwelling on this.

Next came all the cosmetic stuff. Trunk mat and liners trimmed and reinstalled:

Name:	20230806_121413.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	228255

Name:	20230806_121504.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	228256

So far haven't heard any noises from the liners, but if I do, I'll drill a hole in them for one of those plastic push pins.

Seats back in:

Name:	20230806_141409.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	228257

Parcel shelf was a bit more annoying to refit. The brace has a lip at the top that goes over the shelf. I did consider cutting it off (since it's not really structural), but I really didn't want to cut CF, so it stayed on. Here's the lip:

Name:	20230807_112737.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	228258

Name:	20230807_112734.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	228259

The gap between chassis and brace is slightly too small to have the parcel shelf slip in, so I had to clearance that.

Bottom flattened:

Name:	20230807_114426.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	228260

Top clearanced:

Name:	20230807_130159.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	228261

Fortunately, the parcel shelf is juuust flexible enough to where I can slide it into the rear plastic trim and then push it into the gap. And with the seats up, none of my clearancing is visible:

Name:	20230807_130342.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	228262

Kinda wish I had just cut the lip off the brace, but too late for that now.

I did also get a chance to take the car out for a quick spin yesterday. Granted, I only drove it for about 15 min and not on interesting roads, but probably still worth sharing initial impressions. The biggest thing I noticed was how much less twitchy the rear felt, especially when giving it throttle coming out of a corner. It really hooks up and goes now. Feels pretty great.

Regular around town driving feels pretty similar to before. I probably need more seat time to make an accurate assessment on this, but the important part is that there are no blatantly obvious NVH downsides to this brace. Happy with that!

Next track day is in September. Very excited to see how the car behaves there.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                        Saw the band that dude is a member of back in 2000 or 2001, it was awesome. That is all.
                        That's awesome. Man, I really wish I had seen them when Joey Jordison was still playing with them.

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                        You were probably just as comfortable getting all those dowels in there as that dude was wearing that thing 🙂
                        Oh man, I feel like the mask would be significantly more comfortable.

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                        I want to replicate every single thing about this install!
                        Just don't replicate the gap on the passenger side! lol

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post

Yeah, this was a big reason why it took me so long to install this thing. I hesitated a lot cause it is nice to have the folding seats. I realized I hadn't used them in a long time and now have the E82 to do all the pickup truck work, so I just went for it. Biggest thing I'm going to miss is being able to take rear seats out and throw them through the gap into the trunk.

Comment

Couple lower stake projects:

First up swapping the AC panel. Had a hard time finding a used one (new is ~$900!) that wasn't beat up and I somehow ended up with three:

Name:	20230804_180133.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	228537

Buttons were scratched on two, faceplates was scratched on another two, screen was bleeding through on the last, but I managed to build a nice one out of the three:

Name:	20230804_180955.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	228538

Name:	20230804_182505.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	228539

Swapped in and so far so good, haven't seen it reboot randomly like my old one did.

Then I noticed my car suddenly stopped beeping when locking/unlocking. Troubleshooted a bit and narrowed it down to the siren. Took it apart to see if I could fix it and found this:

Name:	20230809_110859.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	228540

Annoying. New one ordered.

Comment

What is that component, part of the siren?
                            Did you buy a new siren, or just the component? I think I might have similar problem with the lock/unlock beep.

Thanks for sharing your findings in this journal, I love following along seeing your work and learning along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
                              What is that component, part of the siren?
                              Did you buy a new siren, or just the component? I think I might have similar problem with the lock/unlock beep.

Thanks for sharing your findings in this journal, I love following along seeing your work and learning along the way.
                              I should have given more context on this. The siren has a battery inside of it so that it can go off even if the main battery is disconnected. The component in the picture above is that battery.

I ended up just buying a complete siren. I didn't find a battery that seemed trustworthy and the failed battery caused corrosion to some other components inside the siren. I did think about buying a used siren (since they're much cheaper), but all the ones I could find had build dates of 04-05 and would likely suffer a similar fate soon.

Comment

More low stakes stuff:

Reglued the fabric on the other c pillar that I hadn't done before:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230812_132211.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.3 KB ID:	229501
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	20230812_133101(0).jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.1 KB ID:	229502

Then disassembled 996 calipers for cerakoting. Was annoying because brake fluid gets eeeverywhere, but pretty simple in the end. Winning formula ended up being pumping air into the caliper and blocking the pistons from fully extending with some wood and cardboard and then prying them out the last couple mm:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230810_192211.jpg Views:	0 Size:	191.4 KB ID:	229503
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	20230810_193913~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.9 KB ID:	229504

Toothpick worked well to get the piston seals out. Went for this over a regular metal pick to not scratch the bores:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230810_201848.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.9 KB ID:	229505

And finally, replaced the alarm siren with the new one. Car beeps again
                                Last edited by heinzboehmer; 08-17-2023, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X