No announcement yet.

Dan's original owner '01 dual duty M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the Vanos rebuild I decided to address all the issues and completed the rattle fix, install new cam bolts and the Beisan upper chain guide. My guide was intact when I replaced it, but glad I did. Had some issues putting it back together where I couldn't get the timing chain/sprockets back on the hubs and then took things apart and realized I inadvertently installed the upper chain guide below the lower guide 🤦‍♂️

Here's the new cam bolts installed - I went with Lang Racing bolts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New cam bolts in.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	165871

Next was replacing the oil feed line for the Vanos - opted for Rogue Engineering, here's the original one - man, lower end was TIRED, glad I did this.

Name:	Vanos oil supply.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	165872

And here's the entire Vanos system reinstalled and buttoned up with new oil feed line.

Name:	Vanos installed.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	165873

Finally it was time to install the new intake - getting the plenum into the new boots was a bit of a struggle, but once I got it started it went on pretty smoothly.

Name:	CSL intake installed.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	165874

Happy with finished product, but now I am on the hunt for a CSL air filter. Every source in US seems to be a month out and all the eBay options from overseas give me a 3 day to 5 week delivery window... Checking into BMC filter from Ind-distribution in the US to see if they have one in stock. Otherwise, I'm going to reach out to the eBay sources and see what the expedited delivery options are... 🤦‍♂️
    '01 M3, JB/IR, SS, TCK DA, Apex, TMS CSL, HTE, 4:10 gears - original owner
    '00 slicktop Touring converting to full M3 Touring

Comment

Got some good news from TMS today - they should have a filter by the 4th! So then need to work with HTE on the tune and get this running! In between now & then plan to refresh motor mounts as well as mid exhaust mounts - I've been struggling with occasional exhaust resonance & found mounts had sagged enough that exhaust is rubbing lightly on brace that runs across the chassis.

Comment

While I had the intake off the car I decided to clean up the routing of the secondary O2 sensors. I had previously split off the secondary sensors from the harness going back to the DME to be able to have good wiring run to the rear O2 sensors without splicing the line. Here's the line with the harness for the rear sensors.

Name:	O2 re-route.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	166549

And here's how I tied them off where the fuel filter resides to help provide some protection for the connectors.

Name:	O2 sensore.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	166550

Comment

I've been struggling with a resonance on this exhaust system after I installed the new SS headers and cats. While I was under the car I started looking for heat shields that I thought might be rubbing and when I moved the exhaust I heard some noise near the mount on Section 2 and realized the mounts had sagged...

Lesson learned for me - pretty much anytime you have Section 2 off the car - change the mounts, cheap and a much bigger PITA to drop everything and do it later. Top nuts were in tough shape so removed the whole section and was able to beat an 11mm socket onto the nuts and get them to back off, phew - avoided the cutoff wheel.

Here's the old hanger

Name:	Exhaust Hanger.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	166554

And here's old vs new hangers - FCP to the rescue!

Name:	New exhaust hanger.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	166555

Comment

Bought a BMC filter and really pleased how tight it fits into the TMS intake.

From reading the installation instructions for the TMS airbox, I knew it was going to be sensitive to engine height - so I bought a set of new engine mounts and decided to throw them in. After pulling out the old ones - wow, glad I did!!

Name:	AEED0E5A-E020-4AE5-869A-EFB6541F113D.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	167440

Comment

Then went to install the airbox inlet half & no way could I get the pins at the bottom to engage. Maybe it’s a case of user error - but it shouldn’t be that hard…

As I felt I was pushing the limits of breakage, I decided to put a engine lift fixture on and loosen the lower nuts on the engine mounts to get the engine as high as possible.

That ended up working and the pins ended up engaging (but not in a particularly reassuring way - no definitive “clunk” when they mated) and I was able to join the two halves together and then finish the rest of the misc items in the bay. Here’s the installed pic:

Name:	DA287AAB-72F5-457F-8610-89EE96D528C6.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	167442

as you notice, I had to remove the OEM strut bar from the car because it interfered with the manifold - not a happy point in the build…. So I installed an old TMS bar that I had (that’s been de-stickered).

Comment

I has to synchronize my ISN and managed to load INPA and the other BMW tools on my Win 7 laptop - after a few failed attempts, I was successful with Bimmer Geeks S/W tools and I could sync my ISN.

This afternoon I got a remote tune from HTE Performance and all is good. Car started right up and pulls really strong - it’ll be a few hundred miles to get the Vanos seals broken in and all the adaptations done - but really happy with the end result.

Jury is still out on if TMS airbox was a mistake vs Karbonis which I hear is more plug and play from fitment standpoint…

Comment

Just subscribed and glad I found this thread. I'm overhauling a 2004 with 47K miles on the clock. I've made lots of purchases over the past 1.5 years and have everything ready for install but just need to find the time:

Supersprint V1 stepped headers
                  Supersprint HJS Section 1
                  Supersprint Non-Resonated Section 2
                  Dinan Section 3 (currently have an Eisenmann Race Section 3 - too loud)
                  TMS airbox (I got for free, long story but thinking about the Karbonius airbox)
                  TMS monoball FCABs
                  TMS adjustable front end links
                  Lemforder control arms (new)
                  TMS bump steer kit
                  712 steering rack
                  Ireland Engineering urethene steering coupler
                  TMS monoball RTABs
                  TMS RTAB spacers
                  TMS rear camber arms
                  Porsche 996 BBK conversion (fully rebuilt by yours truly)
                  ECS front and rear slotted and drilled rotors (for the BBK)
                  Status Gruppe SRS coilovers (removing)

My question for you is: TCK DA. I'm looking to purchase this suspension and want 300F / 700R for flat ride. What are you running in the rear?

Thanks!

David

Comment

I’m running 550# in the rear.

if you have the RTAB monoballs - you don’t need the RTAB limiter washers.

If I was going to do the SS headers again - I’d consider dropping the engine to do the install - I’ve got big hands and PITA to get the nuts tight…. Also be sure to install the longer studs - I tried to use the stock ones & they’re too short.

Comment

Originally posted by 01M3Fan View Post
                      I took the opportunity to install a different aux water pump that I’ve seen others use to free up real estate in the area.

Here's the original two pump setup

Name:	Aux2.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	164494

And here's the single pump setup which eliminates the taller pump

Name:	Aux1.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	164495
                      This is such a great little change, were these only available on the Euro models? I noticed it's hard to find the single pump on eBay in the states, mainly available overseas in Spain and UK. Great build, thanks for sharing 😎
                      /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post

This is such a great little change, were these only available on the Euro models? I noticed it's hard to find the single pump on eBay in the states, mainly available overseas in Spain and UK. Great build, thanks for sharing 😎
                        Any non-M E46 will have one of those. Easy to find on eBay/local junkyard/FCP/etc. if you look for the non-M part number: 64118369805
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Any non-M E46 will have one of those. Easy to find on eBay/local junkyard/FCP/etc. if you look for the non-M part number: 64118369805
                          Would there be any downside swapping to this single pump valve?
                          /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post

Would there be any downside swapping to this single pump valve?
                            Yeah no auxiliary pump for the heater core loop (that's what the second cylinder is in the M3 part), so worse heater performance. Not an issue if you don't care about heat though.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I typically don’t drive my car a lot in the winter - but I haven’t noticed any difference in heater performance. I did this primarily to gain some space when putting in the CSL intake.

Comment

For the Turner airbox, it is ok if the bottom pin holes in the unfiltered section become slotted (at least the one in the back). It makes getting that section on much easier and it should not cause an issue. It is already a tight fit on the airbox and the screws on top hold it firmly together.

Comment

Working...
                                X