X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Parts Selection and Fitting

Rod Bearings

- ACL Standard size bearings. Part # 6B1569H-STD
    - They have a solid reputation and are coated in the standard size. Can be purchased most anywhere from $100-200.

In the stock rod big end and stock crank, I achieved the following fitment:
    Cyl #1 = .045mm
    Cyl #2 = .051mm
    Cyl #3 = .051mm
    Cyl #4 = .045mm
    Cyl #5 = .055mm
    Cyl #6 = .051mm

The stock spec is 0.03 - 0.070mm. So, right in the middle. Happy with that.

Main Bearings
    - ACL Standard size bearings. Part # 7M1532H-STD
    - A lot of people sell them for ~$250. I bought them at Hack Engineering. Good people over there.

On the stock crank with stock main bearing bolts, I achieved the following fitment:
    #1 = .051mm or slightly greater, depending on the day that I measured
    #2 = .045mm
    #3 = .045mm
    #4 = .042mm
    #5 = .051mm or slightly greater, depending on the day that I measured
    #6 = .040mm
    #7 = .040mm

The stock spec is .019 - .051mm. These numbers were all on the larger side and I'd say bearings #1 and #5 were slightly larger than spec. I've heard from several sources that this is common for #1. And it's well within the commonly held main bearing philosophy, especially with a performance engine.

Piston Rings
    - NPR STD size 87mm. Part #120007004700.
    - Bought these at Hack Engineering, as well. You should probably buy these from a reputable reseller. Highly critical part.
    - These are generally believe to be the best, highest quality OE-like ring you will find, they are 1/10th the cost of BMW OE rings. The BMW OE rings are believed to be Mahle, but I could only find those being sold from the People's Republic of China with no reviews from reputable posters... anywhere. Nothing against China, but Japanese manufacturers are KNOWN for fantastic rings and there are a lot of reviews on the NPR rings from all over. NPR seems like the safest bet for stock-sized rings at the current time.

Ring #1 fitment:
    - 0.35mm across every cylinder, out of the box.
    - On the larger side, but stock spec is 0.02 - 0.35mm, so here we go!
    - The stock, used rings #1 were at ~ 0.07mm - a lot of wear there!

Ring #2 fitment:
    - 0.45 to 0.48mm across the board, out of the box. They were so tight across the board that depending on the time of measurement they were basically the same. So, I haven't filed any of them.
    - Stock spec is 0.35 - 0.60mm, so well within stick spec.
    - They are larger than ring #1 by > 0.05mm which is what you want for releasing gas pressure.
    - The stock, used rings were > 0.8mm which is huge.

Ring #3 fitment:
    - 0.30mm across the board, out of the box.
    - stock spec is 0.25 - 0.50mm. They were on the lower side, but filing them is a huge pain and risky due to the "H" design.
    - I phoned Hack Engineering about this fitment. They said they leave them and that they are within BMW's "conservative" specs, so send it. No problem, they said.

Other Ring Observations:
    - Ring #1 is slightly narrower than the stock ring. See the image below. Hack Engineering noted this is known and presents no issues. By my calcs you have about 11% less surface area of the ring touching the ring land. How important that is, well, maybe only Mahle and NPR know?
    - Ring #2 is exactly like the stock OE ring as far as I can tell.
    - Ring #3 - the oil control ring - is very slightly different. There are more oil relief holes and they are slightly smaller. This seems like a good idea given the state of my OE oil control rings. They were clogged and caked in sludge. Though the motor appeared to burn no oil, so maybe it's not incredibly critical.

Fasteners:

Rod Bearings
    - ARP M11-sized bolts. I have the early motor, so the M11 bolts come standard. Technically, they are reusable, if they go back into the exact hole they came out of. After passing them back and forth from the machinist there is no way I could guarantee this would happen. The machinist suggested I get the ARP bolts. I bought them and fitting them to the crank at the recommended 70 ft-lbs has yielded the clearances above. Pretty happy with that and I won't complicate the situation further.
    - Reusable

Main Bearing Bolts
    - Stock. I don't have a machined crank and the recommendation from several sources (including the machinist) was that stock bolts will cause the least possible issues. The main issue with aftermarket bolts is the clamping force will be different causing an out-of-round situation. This seems sound, but the downside is you only get one shot, so make sure everything is perfect a bunch of times with your old stock bolts and when you've crossed all your t's and dotted all of your i's go ahead and send it to 25NM + 50 degrees.
    - One time use

Head Bolts
    - ARP Studs.
    The name of the game is clamping force here. More is better, up to a point. Plus they're reusable. I see no downsides or risks here.

Head Gasket
    - Cometic 0.040". $200.
    The stock head gasket is 0.027", but they round it up and call it 0.030". As I described above I removed 0.01" total between the head and the black surfacing. I don't really want to increase the compression from 11.5 to ~11.7 on Cali 91 pisswater, so likely I will lower it ever so slightly with the 0.040" Cometic gasket.
    - Cool fact about Cometic - they'll make you basically whatever thickness you want, and won't charge you anymore for it. I toy'd with the idea of buying a .037" gasket from them, but that seemed like a risk I don't want to take. As I wouldn't want to test the first one they've ever made on this motor. So, off the shelf 0.040" it is!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tlow98; 09-15-2022, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Update.

2 whole piston assemblies are installed and torqued to spec.

I love this ARP tapered ring compressor. Makes it so easy.

Also, I made con rod condoms to prevent block impregnation. Would also recommend this.

Attached Files

Comment

Fully rebuilt the vanos last night with Besian items. I did not include the s62 spring washers and used the ‘old
        design’ Besian drilled hub. It seems the s62 spring washers are being re-thought as to the necessity amongst the NAM3 collective and the new pump disc seemed a bit of an unnecessary gamble.

In the Besian instructions they say to use a hose clamp, but I’d recommend a zip tie when compressing the Teflon seals on the exhaust shaft. It worked great and seemed safer.
        Attached Files

Comment

Ok, so new plan on the motor work. I’m going to hold myself to doing one thing per day. Be it cleaning, assembly, research… something! This thing needs to get out the door.

as a result I’m going to be updating in here much more often. Not quite VLOG style (cringe), but something more akin to regular cadence. This is mostly to keep myself accountable and if you see something I could have done better, please call it out :-)

So, in accordance with the new plan, yesterday I installed the oil pump, oil chain, tensioner and pickup tubes.

21nm for pump to block bolts.
          10nm plus loctite 243 (medium, oil resistant) for the pickup tube bolts
          25nm plus loctite 263 (high, oil resistant) for the oil pump chain nut.

some notes:

- the loctite is not called out in the TIS, but these parts warranted it imo. With used parts it’s very hard to get them perfect and as-new, so as an insurance policy I applied small amounts of loctite. Bolts flying around in the engine make me nervous :-)

- I re-used the OE oil pump. Opted not to buy a new one. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a thread about s54 oil pump issues. They’re stout. Also, could not find a new o-ring for the oil pump control piston - part #4 diagram. As far as I can tell they don’t exist for sale individually. That’s a shame - it means a high quality and correct rebuild is simply not possible.

Wear on old parts…
          - oil chain - no noticeable wear or stretching. Bought new chain bc why not. I’m replacing all of the timing parts, so this came with it.
          - oil chain tensioner - pretty substantial wear. See pics. Happy to be replacing this. You can also see some accelerated wear on a specific area of the tensioner cam profile (deeper shadows along with pitting) which seem pretty impactful.

Pics!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by tlow98; 11-10-2022, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Pretty sure 11411722837 is the o ring for the oil pump piston. RealOEM doesn't list it on the S54 diagrams, but it does on the S50 and S52 ones (and a bunch of M series engines too). Oil pump internals are pretty much exactly the same: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...01#11411722837. Burkhart also says they're compatible: https://burkhart-engineering.com/en/...-the-oil-pump/

Was surprised by looking at those pics of the oil chain tensioner. It's way more worn than I was expecting. I don't remember mine being anywhere close to that when I did my rod bearings (~110k mi). Nice work!
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
              Pretty sure 11411722837 is the o ring for the oil pump piston. RealOEM doesn't list it on the S54 diagrams, but it does on the S50 and S52 ones (and a bunch of M series engines too). Oil pump internals are pretty much exactly the same: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...01#11411722837. Burkhart also says they're compatible: https://burkhart-engineering.com/en/...-the-oil-pump/

Was surprised by looking at those pics of the oil chain tensioner. It's way more worn than I was expecting. I don't remember mine being anywhere close to that when I did my rod bearings (~110k mi). Nice work!
              I wondered about that o-ring from hose motors. Oddly, when I inquired to Hack Engineering they didn't mention this and stated they were not available... Hmmmm, what to do? Jump in there or leave as is? Hmmmmm. Lemme see how fast I can get one. I do want to change it...

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post

I wondered about that o-ring from hose motors. Oddly, when I inquired to Hack Engineering they didn't mention this and stated they were not available... Hmmmm, what to do? Jump in there or leave as is? Hmmmmm. Lemme see how fast I can get one. I do want to change it...
                The piston can come out without removing the pump from the block right? If not, I have an oil pump sitting in my garage if you want to check fitment of that o ring before taking your stuff apart.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

The piston can come out without removing the pump from the block right? If not, I have an oil pump sitting in my garage if you want to check fitment of that o ring before taking your stuff apart.
                  Yes, but more than likely if I'm going in there I'm going all the way in to see if there is any pump scoring, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post

Yes, but more than likely if I'm going in there I'm going all the way in to see if there is any pump scoring, etc.
                    Change the o ring and the control piston. BE sells both.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post

Change the o ring and the control piston. BE sells both.
                      Thanks for chiming in. Is there a reason there are two seemingly suitable pistons? One is for the S50 + S54 (E36, E46 M3 and Z3M) and the other is for the S54 and S54HP (Z4M & CSL). They have different part numbers on the website, as well. Odd?

All of these cars appear to have the same pump according to RealOEM.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by tlow98; 11-10-2022, 05:17 PM.

Comment

There was a recent thread here showing the M3 oil pump piston, which I am certain is the grooved one. If you want to play it safe, take it out, inspect the piston, and if all ok, just renew the o-ring.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                          There was a recent thread here showing the M3 oil pump piston, which I am certain is the grooved one. If you want to play it safe, take it out, inspect the piston, and if all ok, just renew the o-ring.
                          Yep, Heinz just linked me to that. For those that see this situation in the future it is here:

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...184657-oilpump

I pulled the pump. Inspected, and found some wear. The rotor has some imperfections that you can feel with your nail and see. The stator better - some very small marks. The housing some moderate scratches that can be felt and seen.

The piston was maybe the worst, but it’s hard to know what’s ‘normal’ and what’s not. The wear was nothing like in the link above, but there is a measurement delta.

It is a bit out of round. 19.89mm in the cross section that exhibited wear and 19.95mm in the cross section that showed no wear.

Very similar measurements to the post above. Perhaps we are skewed a bit with respect to different calibrations of our instruments. Who knows. Just adding another data point here.

Now would any of this matter? How long until it starts bleeding volume and decreasing pressure? How much pressure is it already losing? I don’t know, but after disassembly on a 200k+ mile pump I’m buying a new one. Changing course.

Its not worth the risk, to me.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by tlow98; 11-11-2022, 07:51 PM.

Comment

While we wait for the pump, let’s cut some
                            holes in the donor!

This 83mm hole saw was the perfect size, fyi.

Hordion 83mm/3 1/4 inch Hole Saw... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L4B5SJZ...p_mob_ap_share

Attached Files

Comment

Perforated the donor some more. Installed a clutch hard line. Lost (misplaced for now, I’m telling myself) a ten mill.

These brackets are a pretty tight fit, especially if you aren’t grinding all the undercoating. Used steel rivets. Only need it to last a couple hundred miles.

Attached is the quick measurement I used for the placement from the Jamie’s Garage YouTube channel. They gloss over a lot of the more finicky parts of the SMG to manual swap, but there is definitely some solid info, as well.

It’s nice disassembling a car knowing you don’t have to put it all the way back together. A snip here, a tuck there, and you’ve got a workable machine in no time. Albeit, an ugly one
                              Attached Files

Comment

While Germany takes their time shipping some
                                main bearings I’m cleaning up the wiring harness. Much of the corrugated cover has disintegrated and the VANOS plug was broken as many of them are.

- New Vanos Plug
                                - New loom for the vanos wiring and the TPS sensor
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by tlow98; 11-27-2022, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X